Havanese Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an answer to my wife's dog. We got him at the age of 4 1/2. He was not neutered till we got him. He is a terrific pet but he is very skittish when anyone but my wife comes close to him. He has been with us 4 months now and still has a stand-off-ish attitude even with me and I really try to get his affection. He is my wife's pet and he lets me know that is the way it is. He is not nasty but he does growl at me. I thought these dogs were friendly to everyone. I'm afraid he'll run away from me if I don't have him on a leash. He stays close to me untill I go to pick him up, then he runs away from me.
I need some advice, please.

Thank you
Happy62

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Happy62,
Be patient. You didn't give details of his life that he had for 4 1/2 years so who knows why he might be this way. He will come around, but it will take time and patience. Keep showing him nothing but love, gentleness, kindness, and lot's of soothing tones. He will come around.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Happy62,
Get his FAVORITE treat, that only you give him. Like turkey hotdogs, or jerkey or whatever. STart by calling his name & tossing him treats, he will get closer & closer to you. Eventually, he will learn that not only can he get close to you - but that you also have the $100 buck treats!! I bet in no time he will be happy to have you come into the room. Good Luck.
Laurie
This will not work as fast if the wife or anyone else give him the "special" treat.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,358 Posts
Hi Happy 62 and welcome to the board. :)

I second having his favorite treats when you walk him and it also helps when they are a little hungry. Be patient and loving to him and things will turn around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts