Havanese Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
In case Nino's stools don't firm up soon you might try a different protein. I could never get Molly back to normal with boiled chicken and had to switch to boiled ground beef. Probiotics also help, in case you aren't using one. We also had negative stool exams for parasites but the Metronidizole seemed to help anyway. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
In case Nino's stools don't firm up soon you might try a different protein. I could never get Molly back to normal with boiled chicken and had to switch to boiled ground beef.
Willow can't tolerate chicken or turkey. I knew about the chicken, but not the turkey and it turns out that the food she was given by the vet for a sensitive tummy used turkey! Well, that sure didn't help any! Lots of butt baths before I figured it out. Please keep us up to date on how Nino is doing.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm sorry Nino is going through this tough time. But, having to clean up behind a dog with diarrhea constantly isn't something I would want to do. I know it happens but to me it seem like there is more going on and you are hoping it passes without a vet appt. I know we are all different in the way we care for our little furry friends, but I would have taken Chloe to doctor the same day no later than the next regardless if it seemed to have cleared or not. Especially with him/her not drinking water normally - that's a sign right there something is wrong. Like everyone else has said don't take that lightly. As for your vet telling you there is nothing to be done by coming in, that's crazy. There is plenty they can check for to see if something else is wrong besides maybe a 24 hour bug. There is also meds they can prescribe to help with the diarrhea and vomiting.

I hope Nino feel better soon and please take him to the vet regardless if you feel it's passed or not. Error on the side of caution.

·
Sophie
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
I'm sorry Nino is going through this tough time. But, having to clean up behind a dog with diarrhea constantly isn't something I would want to do. I know it happens but to me it seem like there is more going on and you are hoping it passes without a vet appt. I know we are all different in the way we care for our little furry friends, but I would have taken Chloe to doctor the same day no later than the next regardless if it seemed to have cleared or not. Especially with him/her not drinking water normally - that's a sign right there something is wrong. Like everyone else has said don't take that lightly. As for your vet telling you there is nothing to be done by coming in, that's crazy. There is plenty they can check for to see if something else is wrong besides maybe a 24 hour bug. There is also meds they can prescribe to help with the diarrhea and vomiting.

I hope Nino feel better soon and please take him to the vet regardless if you feel it's passed or not. Error on the side of caution.
I understand and appreciate your concern, but please know that if I truly thought something was seriously wrong, he would be at the vet immediately and to assume otherwise is ridiculous. I don't know where you got that he isn't drinking properly; he is going about life completely normal aside from the loose stool, which is beginning to firm up. Aside from regurgitating twice on the first day of illness, there has been no vomiting. He is showing no signs of discomfort or dehydration. As I said, we do have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow, and he will be going in.

Of course I'm "hoping it passes". That doesn't mean we aren't going to a vet. (Apologies for any snippiness...its been a long day for many reasons)

·
Metrowest, MA
31,819 Posts
So we had a phone consultation with the vet (free of charge...the perks of having familial connections). She said that, at this point, an appointment wouldn't tell us much she couldn't tell us over the phone. We did schedule appointments for both tomorrow and Monday in case things weren't clearing up by then (then there may be cause for worry). Until then, we are letting this thing run its course, continuing on the bland diet, sans pumpkin. We were asked to bring in a fecal sample to rule out any bugs, but finding stool that's solid enough to grab and bring in may be a struggle.

Thanks for all of your kind words. Hope we are nearing the end of this crud. Between the poop and the lack of eating, he has dropped a large amount of weight.
You don't need much... just scrape some up with a dull knife. Or put a pee pad under him, upside down, so he goes on the plastic side. They only need enough to put on a slide under the microscope for most purposes. a bit more if they feel the need to culture it. (which they probably won't at this point)

Reactions: Heather's and Sheri

·
Sophie
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
You don't need much... just scrape some up with a dull knife. Or put a pee pad under him, upside down, so he goes on the plastic side. They only need enough to put on a slide under the microscope for most purposes. a bit more if they feel the need to culture it. (which they probably won't at this point)
We got the fecal in. I felt like a bit of a crazy person scooping poop into a tupperware with a plastic spoon in front of the neighbors....the things we do for them :laugh:

·
Metrowest, MA
31,819 Posts
We got the fecal in. I felt like a bit of a crazy person scooping poop into a tupperware with a plastic spoon in front of the neighbors....the things we do for them :laugh:
Ha! Not as bad, though, as when the vet's office asked me if I wanted the container back. Ummmm... That would be NO!!!! (thank you anyway) :pound:

·
Registered
569 Posts
On our most recent fecal sample experience, the vet gave me a small container with a scoop and she said we only needed to return something the size of a bullion cube...made it sooo much easier especially since we thought it was going to be a soft poop...of course, it cleared up before we got the sample and were dealing with a normal poop.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've read through this entire thread and only have two comments: One, I would be concerned that my vet did not insist on a fecal sample early on.

Two:those small ziplock plastic bags are perfect. Take a small sample on a paper towel, and put it in the plastic bag. No muss, no fuss.

My pup just developed an ear infection and the first thing they did was swab for a sample to see what microbe was the culprit in order to make a proper diagnosis and prescription.

Considering Nino's continuing issues, I would want to know the cause, even if he were showing improvement. That way you might be able to avoid it happening again.

Nancy

·
Sophie
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I just now am getting the time to sit and type all of this out.

Nino went to the vet on Saturday. Poor kid, through all of this he has lost about a half pound. Our first fecal came back negative for everything, but the vet took another sample to look at under the microscope for bacteria. Given his chipper demeanor, lack of a fever, bright eyes, and normal feeling tummy, she suspected a bacterial overgrowth, and she was right!

We were prescribed for a week's worth of metronidazole and were sent with a couple cans of Rx diet. I'm not super jazzed about feeding him the food, but he's been going so long without proper nutrition that the vet and I both agreed that he needs a little extra at his young age. I'm feeding him less than half of the full amount, still giving him mostly the bland diet.

With all of that said, I think I found a godsend. The other day, it was like Dr Becker heard my cries and posted a video of her making bone broth for her girl, who was sick with diarrhea. At 1 in the morning, I found myself slaving over a Crockpot of bone broth, and it worked wonders. Both boys loved it, and with the marrow, minerals, and meat, I felt like Nino was getting a better amount of sustenance than just the chicken and rice. His stools began to firm up a bit before the antibiotics began to take effect.

Things still aren't normal, but it's been 24 hours since a butt bath was needed! Thinking back to the show weekend, I believe I know the culprit. We were out of his usual bait, so I grabbed a bit of cheese before heading out the door Saturday. That happened to be the day we were in breed, two separate group competitions, and a BIS competition. Poor guy probably got more cheese than I even realized and had ever intended (especially given all of the standing around during OH group...yikes). $170 lesson learned -____-

Reactions: Sheri
41 - 60 of 81 Posts