Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had the appt on Sat to get her checked for a possible skin condition and tonight when I got home she started throwing up.....I called the emergency clinic and they said it didn't sound serious to give her 1/2 of a 10mg pepcid and take her to my vet in the am.......so I did that....she continued throwing up and then it started turning pink in color.......I called them back...they said not to worry she must have strained some membranes in her throat.....at 12:30 and again at 1:30 she threw up and it looked to me like there was def blood in it...so I called them back and said I wanted to bring her in....now they are telling me this could be something really serious...they have looked at what she threw up there under the microscope and it is blood and full of bacteria...they are now running addl tests for pancreatitis.......the vet says this can go bad really really quickly........anyone have any experience with this?

·
Teresita
1,534 Posts
No, I just want to say that I am sorry this is happening to your Sissy. I hope she recovers and is home with you soon. Hugs.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,176 Posts
oh no! Poor Sissy. :( I hope that she feels better soon. (((hugs)))

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
Oh Sissy! We are so sorry you are feeling bad. Have they taken an X-ray to confirm nothing is blocking the bowel? Hopefully some IV fluids for a few days and you will feel better soon.

·
Julie
1,441 Posts
I'm so sorry, I have no experience with this but sending good thoughts Sissy's way.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope they do find some easy to fix explanation for this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,718 Posts
Poor you and poor Sissy! I don't have experience with exactly what is happening to Sissy, but I certainly have recent experience with (two) middle of the night ER runs, with the first ending in hospitalization. I know how scary it can be, but she is where she needs to be to get the best care possible!:grouphug:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Luckily I got her moved to a regular vet today which has weekend care. That will help a little with the expense and I feel better that she is with someone who has seen her before. Anyways...they are all leaning towards pancreatitis (not sure I'm spelling that right...very tired) although all agree it is very weird that she doesn't have any of the normal triggers......so for the time being they are treating her as if that is what she has...she will be on fluids, antibiotics and anti nausea meds for the next few days and hopefully will be back to normal..........Smokey is a mess.....this is the first time they have ever been separated since I brought them home.....he keeps whining and wondering the house looking in every room ......

Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts
PS Yes they did run xrays and did not see any blockage...they ran all kinds of blood tests but they looked at what she spit up under the microscope and were alarmed that it was blood and the amount of bacteria so the ran the test for the pancreatitis and it showed elevated levels of some enzyme associated with it........the good news is that it is curable as long as it is treated and as with most things the earlier it's caught the better...the bad news is it is usually reoccuring

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Luckily I got her moved to a regular vet today which has weekend care. That will help a little with the expense and I feel better that she is with someone who has seen her before. Anyways...they are all leaning towards pancreatitis (not sure I'm spelling that right...very tired) although all agree it is very weird that she doesn't have any of the normal triggers......so for the time being they are treating her as if that is what she has...she will be on fluids, antibiotics and anti nausea meds for the next few days and hopefully will be back to normal..........Smokey is a mess.....this is the first time they have ever been separated since I brought them home.....he keeps whining and wondering the house looking in every room ......

Thanks for all the well wishes and thoughts
PS Yes they did run xrays and did not see any blockage...they ran all kinds of blood tests but they looked at what she spit up under the microscope and were alarmed that it was blood and the amount of bacteria so the ran the test for the pancreatitis and it showed elevated levels of some enzyme associated with it........the good news is that it is curable as long as it is treated and as with most things the earlier it's caught the better...the bad news is it is usually reoccuring
It is so hard when the vet can not really tell what is wrong. Maddie and Zoey are giving Smokey a hug and want to tell Sissy to get better soon. A:kiss:nd we are all thinking of you guys.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Hi I just went through this with my Cash. Luckily we got to it before there was blood. But his pancreatic enzymes were also elevated. The good news is he came back as good as new after some fluids and anti nausea meds. It sounds like Cash was not as bad as Sissy. But he has been on pepcid and small frequent low fat meals. I think that a low fat diet is a key to keeping it under control. But I am just learning about all this now. How were sissy's other blood work? They told me that because Cash's were perfect except for the pancreas that it could very possibly be a one time thing. I hope sissy comes home soon and gets better very quickly.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
So sorry to hear about Sissy. I know it was very scary for you. I believe Missy is right about diet, I do not have experience with my dogs, my son has this and if he doesn't watch his diet he is in the hospital for a few days. I hope your Sissy comes home soon and has no more problems.

·
Flynn of Sir Winston fame
2,745 Posts
Hoping for good news regarding . Keep us posted and give Smokey a big hug!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am so glad she is okay. Nala had pancreatitis soon after we got her and she does eat two low fat meals a day and has been fine.

That must have been scary!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts