Havanese Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read several articles stating that the Sit Pretty trick is not good for a dog’s spine. Of course, there are other articles stating it is fine. Just curious what the sports people on the forum think about this. Thanks.

Here is one of the article that explains in detail why she thinks it is not good.

I always thought small fluffy dogs look adorable sitting pretty. But I have to admit that I think short haired look a little strange. Perhaps it is because I can actually see what is going on anatomically under all that fur.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
My sports medicine dog thinks it is fine UNLESS your dog has a SPECIFIC injury or defect that would contraindicate it, os, as usual, if you have concerns talk to your vet. But most spots people I know, as opposed to pet people, are people who have chosen well conformed dogs and keep them in good physical shape. (not too fat, and in good muscle tone) Many of them specifically use "sit pretty", or alternate "stand up"/"sit pretty" as an exercise to strengthen core abdominal muscles.

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know with regard to human fitness (and diet too) opinions often change and there are always different opinions no matter what. For example, sit-ups are no longer considered good by some. Some say squats are bad and others say they are good. Things can get confusing.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
I know with regard to human fitness (and diet too) opinions often change and there are always different opinions no matter what. For example, sit-ups are no longer considered good by some. Some say squats are bad and others say they are good. Things can get confusing.
For sure! This same vet USED to think “sit pretty” was bad.she changed her mind. ;)

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Arf! Arf!
3,025 Posts
RICKY was very unsteady when learning 'sit pretty.' However, after a while and practice the exercise strengthened his abdominal core muscles and it is now easy peasy for him. However, after having said that, I use this trick and Mambo dance only occasionally to avoid the potential for injury. They are fun tricks to impress others, but I don't do that frequently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts