Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skiver's coughing now. We have a vet's appt today to find out what's going on. Do you think it's a complication from the coccidia? Not Kennel cough? Please! He kept us up all night, we were listening for every little sound, of course, and worried. Has anyone else's pup had a cough before? How worried should I be?

BTW, no health info can be searched out on the Dam, but the Sire comes up great, all good and healthy.

And he's doing so well on potty training! Hope that keeps up and he doesn't slide back when he gets into his 'terrible twos' stage of puppyhood :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We just got Skiver 10 days ago from the breeder. He had Coccidia, and now he is coughing. We are taking him to the vet today, but he said it sounds like it is Kennel cough. He coughs at night, sounds like he has something caught in his throught, like a hair ball in a cat. He almost sounds croupy.

He is running around just fine, doesn't seem to be sick, but he is coughing. We haven't had him around any other dogs at all, even when he was at the vet, he was the only other dog there, except for one other, that was coming in as we were leaving. If he caught this, must have been when he was back home at the breeders. We don't have any other pets. And I don't have a cold!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Oh Jolyn, gald you're going to the vet. let us know what they say. poor puppy. Missy

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Poor baby. Probably just kennel cough. My daughter's dog had it and it sounds so bad, all that hacking. But everything turned out fine, and I'm sure Skiver is too.

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Skiver's cough

Just checking to see how Skiver is doing, I have been thinking about him today hoping he is ok.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kennel Cough

It was Kennel cough. And we caught it early, the vet was happy with us that we recognized that he needed to come in. His lungs are clear, which is great, so he got some amoxicillin. The vet did not want to use anything with steriods, as it would interfer with the growth of his skeletal system, he is too young. We have to watch him, but he should be okay in about a week.

Just makes me mad that this is the second thing that he was sick from, and it came from the breeders. Now maybe this could happen in the best of places, but both Coccidia and Kennel Cough even made the vet make a couple of comments.

Skiver's getting fluffier every day, he's just so cute! And only has a couple of pee accidents, doing very well with potty. He just is a little biter, is teething a lot, we have to distract him from that!

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Glad you caught it early. My girls got kennel cough at a day care place I tried with them. They got the shot before they went but got it anyway!! My vet said that the vaccination is only good on certain strains of the kennel cough so as luck would have it, mine got the one that was not covered by the shot. They too went on antibiotics & were fine in about a week - 10 days.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Joanne,

Glad you took Skiver to the vet and caught it early. What a good Mom.:) I am sure he will be better soon.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't it so sad to hear them cough like that? Reminds me of when my kids had croup! And we are giving him the same medicine! LOL :)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Joanne, See, now aren't you glad you got him out of that place!!! He may not have made it without you!! Yea, the sound is horrible,althought they act like nothing is wrong. The antibiotics will work quick!! The worst of the coughing ended in a few days, and then you just got a cough here and there later on.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
strange question

Okay, I have a stupid new doggie mom question. Skiver's pads on his feet are not all black. One is red, one is black, and the other two are mixed pink and black. Is that normal? The red one doesn't hurt him when I touch it, so I don't think it's inflamed, but I thought it was weird they are all different colors.

Thanks for letting me ask a strange question! :eek:

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
my pups have the same thing, all different colors on their pads. You will notice the same thing on the roof of their mouths. they change colors as they get older too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, thanks. I didn't know. I've been making sure I touch his feet and get him used to that so when he gets groomed he won't freak out when he gets his nails clipped and hair cut. So far he likes all that, as long as he's a little tired, if he's wound up, no way! He has to be playing, and running around! What a goof-ball he is!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Lynn,

Not sure but I think the white ones are what they refer to as dewclaws. They are almost like the dogs thumb. Many recommend you trim their nails every other week. You may want to look into a nail trimmer with a guard that doesn't allow you to take too much. Just in case, its good to have styptic powder on hand to help stop the bleeding.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,358 Posts
Jolyn,

I am so glad that you caught the cannel caugh on time. Romeo had it ones and the sound of the caugh is just awful, glad he is doing well.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I am happy to hear Skiver is getting better - must be such a relief. Good thing he has a caring mommy now who will take good care of him :) As for the paws, Oreo is the same, some are pink, black or a mixture of the two. As for the nails, they are mostly white/clear, with 3 black ones - the lighter they are the easier it is to see the quick - it is really hard to tell with the black ones. I haven't attempted yet to cut the nails, I will have to soon - He is okay with me brushing and cleaning his eyes, but I really have to get myself to be as calm as possible to take on his nails. There has to be a first time , sometime ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gosh, Oreo is a cutie! And Julie, your standard poodles are so beautiful :)

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,358 Posts
Jolynn,

Thanks for the compliment, but that picture really doesn't do my Poodles justice, they are much better looking in person, as is Bugsy. And yes I am partial when it comes to my furry babies. ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And I didn't mean to leave out Bugsy, what a doll! Give him a belly rub for me :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts