Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I’m curious about the sleeping arrangements for other puppies on this forum. Our 11 week-old puppy Siena has been home with us for a week and a half and is still sleeping in her daytime expen/crate set up. For the first week, I slept on the couch in the living room to be close by (killing my back in the process!). For the past three nights, I’ve slept in bed upstairs and come down as soon as I hear Siena making noise. I’ve been leaving her crate door open and indoor potty right up against it inside the expen, and this set up seems to work pretty well. Last night was the first night with no crying and I woke up at 7 to her patiently hanging out in her expen. We’d initially planned to move her upstairs to a nighttime crate either in our bedroom or just outside it once she was sleeping through the night, but now I’m thinking maybe we should keep this set up going until she’s fully potty trained. Our downstairs is hard flooring (hardwood and tile) and upstairs all carpeted, so this is also a factor. Our family spends virtually all of our waking hours downstairs, so Siena gets plenty of quality time during the day. Sorry for the novel, just trying to give all the details! I would love to hear others’ sleep set ups and plans!

·
Registered
209 Posts
It sounds like you might have just discovered the perfect night time set up for Siena🤞 it melted my heart when I read the bit about her patiently hanging out in her expen, how lovely is that 💗

Flo was slightly older (5 months) when we got her, and I hadn’t heard of the forum or expens back then! So she used to sleep out on the landing outside our bedrooms in a large crate. She would be so excited to be let out in the mornings and tbh she was happy enough to be put in there at night. Turns out I am a great big softie, so she gradually found herself sleeping on our bed, this started when my husband would work away, and now she is here every night! I love having her sleep with us 🥰 she is bathed regularly and we have a throw on the bed which is easily washed, so it works well for us. I have a friend who got their puppy at a similar time (different breed) and he happily sleeps downstairs, he isn’t allowed upstairs, and that works well for them😘

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
As Flo said, it is pretty much your preference. Most dogs will get used to what you set up for them. I think ALL puppies should start in a crate and/or ex-pen, both for their safety, and for safety of the mattress from accidents. No puppy should sleep in the bed until they are past potty accidents, and danger of injury from getting rolled on or falling off the bed.

Kodi slept in a crate attached to his ex-pen for his first two years, because Dave was still in his “Dog hater” ;) phase. Then we had a renovation of our house and the ex-pen had to be moved. For expedience sake, Kodi’s crate moved into our bedroom, and the dogs have never left, ten years on.:ROFLMAO: Then when the girls came along, their crates also joined us in the bedroom. (Which, after the renovation, was a MUCH bigger room!) Eventually, Panda started sleeping in bed with us. (Long story on that) So we’ve done it all ways. I don’t think there is any right or wrong as long as it makes you and your dog happy!

·
Arf! Arf!
3,026 Posts
RICKY has ALWAYS slept in his crate in our bedroom since we first got him for two primary reasons. First I don't want him wandering around the house in the dark and second, if he needs assistance at night, I want to know about it. The only drawback is that occasionally he snores at night and sometimes he dreams and we can hear muffled barking in his sleep (we just roll over and go back to sleep, it doesn't last long).

As others have said, sleeping arrangement is more to your preference rather than the dog's.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Both my boys sleep in their crates at night. they are antsy on the bed until they have their bedtime snack in their crate :). They love routine. (Mind you, their bedtime crates are pretty big…)

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies! I’m sure that she’ll end up in our bedroom or the landing area outside the bedrooms at some point too. She still hasn’t been upstairs yet, so she doesn’t know she’s missing out on comfy sleeping quarters! To Ricky’s Popi’s point, I do worry that she might need us at some point and I’ll be too deeply asleep to hear her with the current set up. At least she has water and a potty in her expen, so basic needs are covered. Hoping we can keep her loving her crate forever, even if it’s moved upstairs. We travel quite often, so she’ll be on the road with us a lot and I want her to feel comfortable in new settings. I also foresee us wanting to board her/leave her with family or friends once a year for international trips that aren’t dog friendly. I keep reading how important crate training is for those types of situations.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Piper's first couple of nights home she slept in her crate in the living room and did well except that when she woke up for her 545am pee break she would whine a lot when I left to go back to the bedroom. I decided what works best for us is moving crate from the expen in the living room (it's daytime position) to our bedroom during our bedtime. Now her puppy pee break wake up call is around 7am and when i put her back in the crate after that she lets us sleep as long as we want (ex. today we woke up at 920am).

I also find that I am able to get a more restful sleep with her in there because when she was in the living room I was practically sleeping with one eye open and always straining to hear her (and wasn't able to use my white noise machine for fear of it drowning her out - I NEED that white noise to sleep lol). Now I know if she needs something I will 100% hear her, which allows me to get a better quality of sleep and with her in our bedroom I can use my white noise.

That being said, your arrangement seems to be working really well for you. What works best for everyone is different, it's up to you!

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Piper's first couple of nights home she slept in her crate in the living room and did well except that when she woke up for her 545am pee break she would whine a lot when I left to go back to the bedroom. I decided what works best for us is moving crate from the expen in the living room (it's daytime position) to our bedroom during our bedtime. Now her puppy pee break wake up call is around 7am and when i put her back in the crate after that she lets us sleep as long as we want (ex. today we woke up at 920am).

I also find that I am able to get a more restful sleep with her in there because when she was in the living room I was practically sleeping with one eye open and always straining to hear her (and wasn't able to use my white noise machine for fear of it drowning her out - I NEED that white noise to sleep lol). Now I know if she needs something I will 100% hear her, which allows me to get a better quality of sleep and with her in our bedroom I can use my white noise.

That being said, your arrangement seems to be working really well for you. What works best for everyone is different, it's up to you!
9:20-amazing!! Sounds like you found a great set up for your situation!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thank you for the replies! I’m sure that she’ll end up in our bedroom or the landing area outside the bedrooms at some point too. She still hasn’t been upstairs yet, so she doesn’t know she’s missing out on comfy sleeping quarters! To Ricky’s Popi’s point, I do worry that she might need us at some point and I’ll be too deeply asleep to hear her with the current set up. At least she has water and a potty in her expen, so basic needs are covered. Hoping we can keep her loving her crate forever, even if it’s moved upstairs. We travel quite often, so she’ll be on the road with us a lot and I want her to feel comfortable in new settings. I also foresee us wanting to board her/leave her with family or friends once a year for international trips that aren’t dog friendly. I keep reading how important crate training is for those types of situations.
That is a really good point Strawberry!

Once Flo had become a permanent bedtime buddy, I downsized the big crate. She now has a smaller one (more appropriate for her size anyway tbh) which I keep fully open downstairs for her to use as her ‘safe space’. The thinking behind it was that she would be familiar with it should we need her to stay overnight some place else. Although the reality seems to be we haven’t gone away without her since getting it, and the minute she hears me open the cupboard where I keep her brushes she heads straight for it😡...at least that tells me she feels safe inside I suppose🤣😘

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
Both my boys sleep in their crates at night. they are antsy on the bed until they have their bedtime snack in their crate :). They love routine. (Mind you, their bedtime crates are pretty big…)
That’s why Pixel will NEVER have bed privileges! We call her the “cat dog” she wanders around the bed... preferably walking over our faces all night long! LOL!

·
Registered
206 Posts
9:20-amazing!! Sounds like you found a great set up for your situation!
@NotAMuggle, can Piper give Mando the memo about letting us go back to sleep? LOL. Once he's up at 7:15-ish, he is up for the day and wants to play and eat! He's got the zoomies first thing in the morning and then again in the late afternoon/early evening.

Mando sleeps in his crate within his ex-pen at the foot of our bed in the master bedroom. We close the ex-pen door around 10:30-11:00 and he's usually curled up inside already. He hasn't complained about bed time as long as he's had a chance to play with us in our room and relax on our bed before going into his crate. I am super paranoid that he's going to jump off our bed, which is pretty high off the ground. He's getting more and more brave about jumping off things that are definitely too high for him to jump up onto so I'm always on edge when he's sitting on our bed or the couch.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Perry sleeps in his crate at night because (1)he's restless and I don't need that on the bed and (2)while hubby and Perry seem to have reached some sort of detente, and he's ok on the bed during the day, the bed is too small AND the detente is not that large for Perry to be on the bed all night. However, as much as Perry is not a huge fan of his crate outside of his routine times, at night he usually puts himself to bed after relaxing on the bed with me for a little while. The advantage (in addition to a good night sleep), is that he's super patient and I can get up in the morning when I am ready even going as late as 9/ 9:30.

When I first got him it was with the idea that he would stay downstairs in his crate (He was an 8 month old rescue) - but that lasted exactly 10 minutes and the crying and whining resulted in me getting him AND his crate and bringing it up beside the bed. It sounds like you're doing really well with it downstairs.

If you like it downstairs but are worried about not hearing her, get a cheap baby monitor to put by her crate/ pen so you can hear anything.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
Panda has always been PRFECT in bed. But now... just the last couple of days... she has been waking up early and "nesting" in the covers. I THINK it's just instinctive "pre-whelping" behavior, but it's enough to bring me BOLTING awake for fear that I'm going to find puppies in the bed!!! LOL! I can't WAIT for the puppies to be on the OUTSIDE.

Panda says, "YOU can't wait?!?! YOU aren't carrying this soccer team AROUND all day!!!"

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Patti's large comfy ex-pen wasn't moveable and it lived in our family-kitchen area. Patti would have been fine sleeping overnight in her ex-pen, but we live in an inter-generational home with two pre-teen and teenage boys who are in and out the kitchen at all hours of the night and wee morning hours. Therefore, we put a separate crate in our bedroom where Patti slept until she was about 5 months old.

I didn't sleep well with her with the crate in our bedroom. Although, Patti slept well in the crate she moved around and usually woke up scratching for attention or to potty: Afraid to ignore her I would take her out to potty. Patti learned when she whined I'd take her out of the crate which she started doing frequently.

Out of self preservation one night I put her in our bed and attached her to a harness and leash so I could make sure she stayed on the bed. She slept like a Rock! and I was able to finally get some sleep. That was the end to her Crate Sleeping days.

We keep our bedroom door closed at night and Patti found sleeping under the clothes in our walk-in closet is her preference for sleeping during the day and night. Except at 3 a.m. she crawls into bed with us and snuggles up to me.

Whatever Works - Works.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Panda has always been PRFECT in bed. But now... just the last couple of days... she has been waking up early and "nesting" in the covers. I THINK it's just instinctive "pre-whelping" behavior, but it's enough to bring me BOLTING awake for fear that I'm going to find puppies in the bed!!! LOL! I can't WAIT for the puppies to be on the OUTSIDE.

Panda says, "YOU can't wait?!?! YOU aren't carrying this soccer team AROUND all day!!!"
This makes me LOL!!! finding puppies in your bed. When's the Due Date?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts