Havanese Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
This makes me LOL!!! finding puppies in your bed. When's the Due Date?
Officially, MTW... I'm betting on this weekend.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,139 Posts
I have three main reasons for not wanting a dog in my bed.

1. Ticks
2. Ticks
3. Ticks

Did I say Ticks?

More power to the people who do not live in tick central or can fall asleep with the thought that a tick may be in their bed.

I also cannot figure out how my dogs would even fit in our bed since they are both sprawlers. Our bed is also super high and I do not want to take the chance of them jumping off or falling off.

Mia and Bear appear happy in their crates next to our bed. I do not see any signs of psychological damage. And my psyche is much healthier not having to worry about all of the above.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Panda has always been PRFECT in bed. But now... just the last couple of days... she has been waking up early and "nesting" in the covers. I THINK it's just instinctive "pre-whelping" behavior, but it's enough to bring me BOLTING awake for fear that I'm going to find puppies in the bed!!! LOL! I can't WAIT for the puppies to be on the OUTSIDE.

Panda says, "YOU can't wait?!?! YOU aren't carrying this soccer team AROUND all day!!!"
Can you imagine waking to a bed full of newborn puppies?!?

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Patti's large comfy ex-pen wasn't moveable and it lived in our family-kitchen area. Patti would have been fine sleeping overnight in her ex-pen, but we live in an inter-generational home with two pre-teen and teenage boys who are in and out the kitchen at all hours of the night and wee morning hours. Therefore, we put a separate crate in our bedroom where Patti slept until she was about 5 months old.

I didn't sleep well with her with the crate in our bedroom. Although, Patti slept well in the crate she moved around and usually woke up scratching for attention or to potty: Afraid to ignore her I would take her out to potty. Patti learned when she whined I'd take her out of the crate which she started doing frequently.

Out of self preservation one night I put her in our bed and attached her to a harness and leash so I could make sure she stayed on the bed. She slept like a Rock! and I was able to finally get some sleep. That was the end to her Crate Sleeping days.

We keep our bedroom door closed at night and Patti found sleeping under the clothes in our walk-in closet is her preference for sleeping during the day and night. Except at 3 a.m. she crawls into bed with us and snuggles up to me.

Whatever Works - Works.
Good point about ins and outs in main living areas! My husband woke Siena up the other day at 5 am making pre-golf coffee. Then he got to golf and I spent the next two hours trying to get her to rest with me 🙄

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Can you imagine waking to a bed full of newborn puppies?!?
Yes I can, and the thought horrifies me!!! LOL! OTOH, as long as they were all alive and healthy, it would be over and done, so THAT would be a plus! LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts

1. Ticks
2. Ticks
3. Ticks

Did I say Ticks?

More power to the people who do not live in tick central or can fall asleep with the thought that a tick may be in their bed.

I also cannot figure out how my dogs would even fit in our bed since they are both sprawlers. Our bed is also super high and I do not want to take the chance of them jumping off or falling off.

Mia and Bear appear happy in their crates next to our bed. I do not see any signs of psychological damage. And my psyche is much healthier not having to worry about all of the above.
Fortunately, we don't have a big problem with ticks around our home. We keep the yard treated as well as the dogs. However, my husband sometimes works out in the wooded area and he occasionally has come to bed with a tick. Once I was roaming around a heavily wooded area taking photographs and ended up with tiny ticks all over myself and brought a few to bed. Yikes! o_O

I'll never do that again but so far it's be human's carrying ticks to our bed not the dog.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,139 Posts
Fortunately, we don't have a big problem with ticks around our home. We keep the yard treated as well as the dogs. However, my husband sometimes works out in the wooded area and he occasionally has come to bed with a tick. Once I was roaming around a heavily wooded area taking photographs and ended up with tiny ticks all over myself and brought a few to bed. Yikes! o_O

I'll never do that again but so far it's be human's carrying ticks to our bed not the dog.
Treating our yard will not help because we have no fence so we have all sorts of wild animals walking through it everyday. In addition, there is common ground bordering woods all along our street so when I walk my dogs they are very exposed to ticks. The humans shower and are checked for ticks before bed but the little buggers can still escape detection, especially the tiny seed ticks. We check the dogs for ticks a couple times a day but even so they are easy to miss. And I do not want to allow them in bed ONLY during the tick off season. I have learned never to start a habit with a dog I do not plan to keep up. Having seen what I have on my dogs...they will not be in bed with us! My yorkie once had about 200 seed ticks on him.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,139 Posts

Are you sure the humans had the ticks on them before getting into bed or did Patti get into bed and pass a few ticks onto the humans? I have been the recipient of a few of those gifts from my dogs, even from just bending all over them to groom them. Our new house will be better since we will have a yard and a break between it and the woods.

·
Premium Member
1,360 Posts
Are you sure the humans had the ticks on them before getting into bed or did Patti get into bed and pass a few ticks onto the humans? I have been the recipient of a few of those gifts from my dogs, even from just bending all over them to groom them. Our new house will be better since we will have a yard and a break between it and the woods.

Seed Ticks! that's what attacked me. :eek:That was a super gross experience and was before we got Patti. It took me a couple of days to get rid of all of them. I got those from an undeveloped wooded area that I thought was a good place to photograph. Bad Idea!!

We live on 11-acres and maintain approximately an acre around the home. We've always treated the yard for fleas and ticks and do not have trees around the home. When my husband works in the wooded area away from the house he covers ups, shakes off his clothes and showers but occasionally ends up with a tick.

I once found a tick on Patti. On her Nose!

There may be an occasional tick but for the most part we don't have a problem with ticks or fleas around the house even though we do have deer, rabbits and other things that pass through because we treat our yard for flea and ticks.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Actually, it's not the trees that harbor ticks, it is the dead leaves on the ground, tall, unmown grass and meadows, etc. They don't climb trees. We have very large old trees inside our dog yard and have no problem with ticks there at all, because we always keep leaves picked up there. We keep a wide margin of mowed grass (like a wider area than would be most house lots) between the dog yard and any woods areas or any of the stone walls on our property. That keeps small animals (and other wild critters far away from the dog yard fence. As a result, even without the use of chemicals, it is unusual to find more than a tick or two per season on our dogs that can be attributed to time in the yard. We treat them with Advantix II before vacations up north or, especially, is we'll be spending time on the Cape.

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,139 Posts
Actually, it's not the trees that harbor ticks, it is the dead leaves on the ground, tall, unmown grass and meadows, etc. They don't climb trees. We have very large old trees inside our dog yard and have no problem with ticks there at all, because we always keep leaves picked up there. We keep a wide margin of mowed grass (like a wider area than would be most house lots) between the dog yard and any woods areas or any of the stone walls on our property. That keeps small animals (and other wild critters far away from the dog yard fence. As a result, even without the use of chemicals, it is unusual to find more than a tick or two per season on our dogs that can be attributed to time in the yard. We treat them with Advantix II before vacations up north or, especially, is we'll be spending time on the Cape.
I agree. Dead leaves are the major issue. I believe that is where the ticks lay their eggs. We essentially live in an oak forest. There is no break between our yard and and surrounding forest and there is so much common ground all along the road it is difficult to avoid ticks. At the new house, we will have a yard and break from the woods and can keep it cleaned up. And we will not be venturing into the woods on our property during April or May. That is peak season for ticks and just asking for it.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,139 Posts
Seed Ticks! that's what attacked me. :eek:That was a super gross experience and was before we got Patti. It took me a couple of days to get rid of all of them. I got those from an undeveloped wooded area that I thought was a good place to photograph. Bad Idea!!

We live on 11-acres and maintain approximately an acre around the home. We've always treated the yard for fleas and ticks and do not have trees around the home. When my husband works in the wooded area away from the house he covers ups, shakes off his clothes and showers but occasionally ends up with a tick.

I once found a tick on Patti. On her Nose!

There may be an occasional tick but for the most part we don't have a problem with ticks or fleas around the house even though we do have deer, rabbits and other things that pass through because we treat our yard for flea and ticks.
I will take a huge gigantic tick over a seed tick any day!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Another reason we can’t avoid ticks. Check out these three hussies right outside my dining room window!

View attachment 174092
we have deer wander through the outer yard, of course, though I don’t know how many ticks are dropping off... I suspect that most are attached and feeding. But the deer NEVER come inside the fenced dog yard.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,139 Posts
we have deer wander through the outer yard, of course, though I don’t know how many ticks are dropping off... I suspect that most are attached and feeding. But the deer NEVER come inside the fenced dog yard.
Here the deer come right up to the front door and devour my hostas. My neighbor put pumpkins out for Halloween and a huge buck was gnawing on them right outside her dining room window. The main problem is the leaf matter that is everywhere. But it does not help to have a huge deer population and a deer sanctuary nearby.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

1. Ticks
2. Ticks
3. Ticks

Did I say Ticks?

I found two!!! ticks on Perry's head this week (only walking outside on leash - but I think it was from the yard even without leaves AND the grass is still very short - there were a ton of deer spending extended periods in the yard if the piles of poo are any indication)!!!. At that point hubby wanted me to ban the dogs from the bed (they don't sleep in/ on the bed at night, but we do lounge there during the day) - but I really can't spend the next 6-8 months keeping them off the bed. I will continue to keep checking him - though I'm not sure exactly what a seed tick looks/ feels like.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Here the deer come right up to the front door and devour my hostas. My neighbor put pumpkins out for Halloween and a huge buck was gnawing on them right outside her dining room window. The main problem is the leaf matter that is everywhere. But it does not help to have a huge deer population and a deer sanctuary nearby.
Yes, the PLANT destruction is real. My important Hostas are all INSIDE the fenced backyard. The decimate those outside the fence!

Reactions: mudpuppymama

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
I found two!!! ticks on Perry's head this week (only walking outside on leash - but I think it was from the yard even without leaves AND the grass is still very short - there were a ton of deer spending extended periods in the yard if the piles of poo are any indication)!!!. At that point hubby wanted me to ban the dogs from the bed (they don't sleep in/ on the bed at night, but we do lounge there during the day) - but I really can't spend the next 6-8 months keeping them off the bed. I will continue to keep checking him - though I'm not sure exactly what a seed tick looks/ feels like.
They look just like big ticks... just tiny!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts