Havanese Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do dogs smile? It sure looks like they sometimes do to me. I really don't have a good photo of Willow smiling but this kind of shows her with a grin. She will show her teeth and the corners of her mouth turn up. In the photo it looks like she has an overbite but she really doesn't. Most of the time you can't see her teeth. It's only when she is really contented, or when she is considering being mischievous.

From Ann.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
Awww...Willow's such a pretty girl! Such a sweet little face with beautiful eyes. :)

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,141 Posts
Mia’s mouth is small and a little crooked and her tongue will not fit in her mouth at all. It always hangs out the side of her mouth which I think gives her a sort of happy expression. I guess their expression may not always truly reflect their feelings!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love these smiles! Our Charlie often smiles, especially when we’re out for a walks. The comment we get most from people when we’re out is ‘what a happy guy!’ That said, I have almost no pictures of this because the second I point a camera (or phone) at him, he stops. So I guess you’ll have to take my word for it! :giggle:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Molly always has a very serious look to her face. Because her teeth are not all straight her mouth goes up on one side and she looks like she is sneering. My last dog, a Bichon, always had a happy smiley look to her face.
View attachment 174134

View attachment 174135
Perry definitely has a "sneer" (lip gets caught on one side of his teeth) - no pics of that. Here's one of my favorite of his smiles....

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just wonder if it's really a "smile" to express a feeling of if it's just a facial expression that really means nothing like a human smile. I'm want to think that it's a real smile expressing happiness and pleasure.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,251 Posts
I just wonder if it's really a "smile" to express a feeling of if it's just a facial expression that really means nothing like a human smile. I'm want to think that it's a real smile expressing happiness and pleasure.
I THINK what you are talking about is different from what other people are talking about, which is simply cute facial expressions that may or may not match the animal's feelings. Some dogs, ESPECIALLY Collie breeds, are well known for purposeful, teeth-showing smiles when they are happy. These are usually also accompanied with a soft, slightly squinty eye, and in prick-eared dogs, with lowering the ears to the sides and often also slightly lowering and ducking their head to the side. (and LOTS of tail wagging. They do it when laughing along with "their people" or trying to ingratiate themselves to someone. And, of course, because it's adorable, it is encouraged by the response they get from the humans, and the dog does it more and more often!

I only know a couple of Havanese that do it, and none of mine do, but I'd Love if they did!!!

·
Premium Member
3,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I THINK what you are talking about is different from what other people are talking about, which is simply cute facial expressions that may or may not match the animal's feelings. Some dogs, ESPECIALLY Collie breeds, are well known for purposeful, teeth-showing smiles when they are happy. These are usually also accompanied with a soft, slightly squinty eye, and in prick-eared dogs, with lowering the ears to the sides and often also slightly lowering and ducking their head to the side. (and LOTS of tail wagging. They do it when laughing along with "their people" or trying to ingratiate themselves to someone. And, of course, because it's adorable, it is encouraged by the response they get from the humans, and the dog does it more and more often!

I only know a couple of Havanese that do it, and none of mine do, but I'd Love if they did!!!
Thanks for the info Karen. I'm going to have to pay more attention to Willow's other body language when I see what I think is a "smile". She has another facial expression that looks like a total big grin. It's a big wide open mouth with turned up sides. It really looks like a big grin. I only see her do this when are walking. I have to provide incentive treats at times to get her to walk. (I used to call them training treats but now they are just bribes). She is so cute when she does this while prancing along with a big grin. I wish I could get a picture of it.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,251 Posts
Thanks for the info Karen. I'm going to have to pay more attention to Willow's other body language when I see what I think is a "smile". She has another facial expression that looks like a total big grin. It's a big wide open mouth with turned up sides. It really looks like a big grin. I only see her do this when are walking. I have to provide incentive treats at times to get her to walk. (I used to call them training treats but now they are just bribes). She is so cute when she does this while prancing along with a big grin. I wish I could get a picture of it.
ALL of my three have the big open mouth grin!!! They do that a lot when we are working because they LOVE their work so much!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts