Havanese Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,387 Posts
Snazzle is adorable! I am very partial to cream colored Havanese. ;). I think her ears will go down. Her coat is gorgeous and she looks like such a tiny little thing. How much does she weigh?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Snazzle is adorable! I am very partial to cream colored Havanese. ;). I think her ears will go down. Her coat is gorgeous and she looks like such a tiny little thing. How much does she weigh?
The funny thing is, she's all white except for the back of her ears and head and down the middle of her back. Might be some cream on her tail, I haven't paid attention. I love all the different colors. She weighed 2.5 lbs last Tuesday, when we took her to the vet.

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
Snazzle is a tiny little thing! Thought she might have some red in her coat. It will probably be more noticeable when she is older and her coat is longer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Snazzle is a tiny little thing! Thought she might have some red in her coat. It will probably be more noticeable when she is older and her coat is longer.
Yes, it's so hard to tell her markings as they're so light in many places. It'll be interesting to see how/if they change as she grows.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,387 Posts
The funny thing is, she's all white except for the back of her ears and head and down the middle of her back. Might be some cream on her tail, I haven't paid attention. I love all the different colors. She weighed 2.5 lbs last Tuesday, when we took her to the vet.
Oh my goodness!!! She is going to be a tiny little thing

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Nice! Thankfully, according to the AKC, 9 pounds is normal, so that is good :D
There is no designated size range in our breed. Only height.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i have a feeling she will be under 9 lbs, which will make her an adorable little Havy princess! I just love how large and almond her eyes are!!
You never know, that could be the case. The vet thought she was moderately underweight - said she should weigh 3 lbs for her size. We'll see what he thinks when we return on the 22nd.

·
Arf! Arf!
3,368 Posts
Nice! Thankfully, according to the AKC, 9 pounds is normal, so that is good :D
Can you please give me a source or reference for anywhere AKC says "9 pounds is normal" for a Havanese. Thank you.

Reactions: Nancy117

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Can you please give me a source or reference for anywhere AKC says "9 pounds is normal" for a Havanese. Thank you.
Certainly - Copied from the AKC website:
  • Temperament:Intelligent, Outgoing, Funny
  • AKC Breed Popularity: Ranks 24 of 197
  • Height: 8.5-11.5 inches
  • Weight: 7-13 pounds
  • Life Expectancy: 14-16 years
  • Group: Toy Group

·
Arf! Arf!
3,368 Posts
Thank you, but nowhere does it say what is "normal" and these are all "standards." This is a general description of the Havanese including both a breed standard (8.5 - 11.5 inches) and some general characteristics (some of them more accurate than others - life expectancy 14-16 year).

It alarms me that the Havanese breed is becoming so popular that we are beginning to see the breed being diluted by unethical and unscrupulous breeders introducing non- Havanese standards and normals into the breed and acceptance by the public of those non-Havanese standards, like many "designer cross-breeds". This attitude will only accelerate the demise of the Havanese breed like so many other breeds before the Havanese.

Personally, I welcome all small fluffy dogs here on Havanese Forum. I don't care what their provenance is. But in my opinion HF has to be very careful about establishing new standards and normals for the Havanese breed for every dog introduced here.

Reactions: krandall

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
You seem to be some one who would like to learn more about the breed. So I will tell you, if you want to find out the FACTS about the breed standard, you need to go to the breed club website (Havanese Club of America) and look them up there. Whatever it says on the AKC site,the AKC does NOT set our breed standard. (or for any other breed for that matter) There IS no designated weight range. Just a height range. Which is correct as quoted above.

Reactions: DogFather

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Thank you, but nowhere does it say what is "normal" and these are all "standards." This is a general description of the Havanese including both a breed standard (8.5 - 11.5 inches) and some general characteristics (some of them more accurate than others - life expectancy 14-16 year).

It alarms me that the Havanese breed is becoming so popular that we are beginning to see the breed being diluted by unethical and unscrupulous breeders introducing non- Havanese standards and normals into the breed and acceptance by the public of those non-Havanese standards, like many "designer cross-breeds". This attitude will only accelerate the demise of the Havanese breed like so many other breeds before the Havanese.

Personally, I welcome all small fluffy dogs here on Havanese Forum. I don't care what their provenance is. But in my opinion HF has to be very careful about establishing new standards and normals for the Havanese breed for every dog introduced here.
It is my opinion that the people posting on this forum are just regular people and are not experts of any kind. We read what's on the AKC site and possibly assume that's accurate. I don't think your argument is directed at the right persons here.
The breeder who stated she thought my little puppy might end up being 9 lbs was a guess, not a fact.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts