Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From ShamaPapa:

So, Her Royal Highness Shama, first of her name, Queen of the House and Deck, Lady of the Yard, and Protector of the Pack, has become a bit of a water bowl snob.

She makes a big production when her water bowl is full of water that isn't quite good enough for her to drink (or if it is empty). It looks fine to me, but she throws a whiny fit and stares directly at me while sitting in front of the fridge. (She has figured out that the hole on the front of the big food box dispenses clean, cold water.) She will do this for a very long time. I know that I can make her stop by simply getting her water bowl and refilling it with water from the filtered dispenser on the front of the fridge. She is doing a good job of training me, but i don't mind. With her CKD, she needs a lot of water. However, it made me curious.

This behavior has only begun during the stay-at-home pandemic of this last year, so I am just wondering if anyone else has a similar water snob?

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Yes! Sundance frequently asks for fresh water. Sometimes he will drink water in another part of the house and his water bowl will be full, but he’ll ask for fresh water. He also sits in front of the fridge. If he’s in my bedroom he’ll lay on the bed and stare longingly at the water on my nightstand until someone notices. He loves ice in his water, too. He drinks around it and then sort of licks at it for a few minutes.

Sundance is like the little girl in Signs: “It’s contaminated.”

·
Registered
397 Posts
Lol well MY dog is a dirtbag🙈🙈🙈. So Flo isn’t a big drinker anyway, unless running about on a hot day, and also late at night as if she has just remembered that she has a water bowl…which btw has been in exactly the same place, in exactly the same bowl, for the last three years.

But give that girl a puddle, or some water that has collected at the bottom of the netball post, or is in the collecting saucer where it has run through a plant pot…and she’s all over it💦🙄😘

·
Metrowest, MA
27,954 Posts
Kodi also INSISTS on fresh FILTERED water. If someone fills the bowl from the tap, he won’t drink it. He just looks at it and yips pitifully until someone changes it for him! LOL!

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
Kodi also INSISTS on fresh FILTERED water. If someone fills the bowl from the tap, he won’t drink it.
Yeah, RICKY is the same way - 100% fresh, filtered (we use a Britta filter from Costco, AND the water has to be straight from the frig, brain freeze cold - or else he refuses to drink it. Momi insists that he needs a fresh water bowl every time we fill it twice a day. RICKY is not a big water drinker, he gets a lot of water in his Honest Kitchen meals twice a day. But after our morning walkies he gets fresh water (and bowl). He will drink about a cup of water, sometimes more. And then in the afternoon, he gets more fresh water (and bowl) and drinks then too. We leave the water bowl out all day, but he usually turns his nose up at it because it is not ICE COLD. If it looks like he is thirsty anytime during the day, he gets ice cold water from the Britta AND a clean bowl. 🤷‍♂️

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,318 Posts
Mine are completely different. Both of them like to dig (including using their mouth) so their faces are often full of dirt. When they drink water, some of the dirt comes off into the water bowl. They lap it up regardless. Soil does contain natural probiotics so maybe that is why they don’t mind. They also eat raw so don’t drink too much water period.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,954 Posts
Yeah, RICKY is the same way - 100% fresh, filtered (we use a Britta filter from Costco, AND the water has to be straight from the frig, brain freeze cold - or else he refuses to drink it. Momi insists that he needs a fresh water bowl every time we fill it twice a day. RICKY is not a big water drinker, he gets a lot of water in his Honest Kitchen meals twice a day. But after our morning walkies he gets fresh water (and bowl). He will drink about a cup of water, sometimes more. And then in the afternoon, he gets more fresh water (and bowl) and drinks then too. We leave the water bowl out all day, but he usually turns his nose up at it because it is not ICE COLD. If it looks like he is thirsty anytime during the day, he gets ice cold water from the Britta AND a clean bowl. 🤷‍♂️
He’s probably waiting for the tequila and salt!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Lol well MY dog is a dirtbag🙈🙈🙈. So Flo isn’t a big drinker anyway, unless running about on a hot day, and also late at night as if she has just remembered that she has a water bowl…which btw has been in exactly the same place, in exactly the same bowl, for the last three years.

But give that girl a puddle, or some water that has collected at the bottom of the netball post, or is in the collecting saucer where it has run through a plant pot…and she’s all over it💦🙄😘
Perry doesn't have a water preference. He's not a huge fan of it anyway - so he mainly drinks out of his water bottle (and the water mixed in with his kibble and HK). However, the other day we went out for the day (and he did NOT want any water all day) - but when we came home he drank out of the communal bowl (aka Finley and Duncan's water bowl) and it was neither cold nor fresh and likely had some dirt from Finley's chin in it :). He has not, however, ever even approached a puddle to drink :).

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
ShamaMama - that's really funny. We have a water dispenser on the fridge too but Willow, so far, doesn't pay attention to it. She seems fine with the little water feeder bottle. Every once in a while I drop an ice cube out of the dispenser onto the floor and she'll grab and run off with it. Of course she lets it melt on the floor or carpet somewhere.

·
Sophie
991 Posts
Mine are water fiends, doesn't matter the kind 🙈 Lake water, tap water, filtered water from the pitcher...they don't discriminate. All water is good water. If he finds our water dish empty, Brisket shoves the heavy, glass bowl around with as much contempt as he can muster, ensuring everyone in the house can hear that the dish dared be empty when he wanted a drink. I'm amazed he hasn't attempted to drink from our gross backyard pond. Nino is only slightly less enthusiastic 😂

·
Metrowest, MA
27,954 Posts
The puppies are currently VERY enamored with the IDEA of a water BOWL. They ALWAYS have a couple of water bottles available, and they all know how to use them. But if you take their BOWL away and refresh it, they come RUNNING over, as if it has been EMPTY for HOURS, and ALL push and shove as if they have been DYING of thirst!!! LOL!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Mine are water fiends, doesn't matter the kind 🙈 Lake water, tap water, filtered water from the pitcher...they don't discriminate. All water is good water. If he finds our water dish empty, Brisket shoves the heavy, glass bowl around with as much contempt as he can muster, ensuring everyone in the house can hear that the dish dared be empty when he wanted a drink. I'm amazed he hasn't attempted to drink from our gross backyard pond. Nino is only slightly less enthusiastic 😂
I LOL’d at this visual! 🤣

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Perry's housemate-dog (cousin) Finley (scotty) will drink the water no matter how long it's been in the bowl or what has fallen into it (though with 2 dogs drinking out of it, it doesn't last long anyway)... but heaven forbid it is empty - then he bangs it around as if the world is ending ... and if you don't react quickly enough he flips it over (it's one of those stainless steel ones that you aren't supposed to be able to tip over) and carries it to you and drops it at your feet.

·
Premium Member
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From ShamaPapa:

Her Royal Highness Shama, first of her name, Queen of the House and Deck, Lady of the Yard, and Protector of the Pack (Yep, gonna refer to her by her new title every time I post.) doesn't move/clang her water bowl at all. Just sits in front of the fridge, stares at me, and whines forlornly when she wants water. Though she will move/bat/throw her food bowl all around the kitchen and make it clang if it is time to eat and she finds it empty. Although they are nearly the same size, the water bowl is heavier steel than the food bowl so maybe she can't move it. Since she is a thrower, I am sure she would move it if she could.

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts

Three years? My goodness maybe you "should" change the water😆🤣

·
Member (Teresa)
755 Posts
Jodie is a little Shama and Cotton is a Flo. When it comes to ice cubes, Cotton is definitely a Willow! JoJo did the whole pushing it around the floor until he could knock it over and then the eye stare. What a great thread, your posts have cheered me up everyone, thank you❣

1 - 20 of 20 Posts