Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !
I am looking for some help from the Northerners!
Parker has not experienced snow until today! Lots of white fluffy snow- He just had such a great time playing in it!
My question is, how do you get all those little snow balls off of the hav? He was filled with them on his legs, his chest, his face- EVERYWHERE! He certainly does not like them on him once he gets inside, and I do not want him dripping on everything for hours! (I have had other dogs while growing up and all I had to do was wipe their feet and give a quick wipe to their underside and they were done)
I used a hairdryer on Parker to melt all the snow balls that are attached to him because they cannot be pulled off- What a job! And so time consuming everytime he goes out!
Any body have a quicker method?
Thanks.
Lynn U

:eek:

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
My guys love the snow too!! When it is real snowey out, I put them in sweaters that cover their armpits and part of their bellies. That helps some. We also put towels in the dryer when we head out, and when they come in we wrap them in the warm towels so it helps to melt the ice a little quicker. Unfortunately, I dont think there is a perfect answer for this problem, we end up with water from melting ice all over the house!!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Ah yes, the snowballs..... :rolleyes: I wonder myself what is the best method, but honestly, there isn't one! lol Yes, a sweater/jacket can help by covering up some tough areas, like the armpits where snowballs just LOVE to cling. You can put booties on as well and then you won't have to worry about paws all wet. Thing is, the Hav will most likely be wet for some time after he comes in.

I love the idea of hot towels from the dryer though! I hadn't thought of that. I can imagine that blowdrying Parker is way too time-consuming and frustrating since he'll likely be right back out there in the snow a few minutes after you're finally done! :eek: :D

If you ever decide to keep Parker in a puppy cut as I might do with Ricky when he's older, then the snowball problem isn't so big. Otherwise,.... good luck! ;)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Sam loves the snow he could be out with the kids for hours. He gets coated in snow balls (pardon the pun). I put him in the laundry tub and melt off all the balls with warm water. It is alot faster, Less melting snow all over the house. I'm carefull not to rub him dry beacuse it causes more mats to form. After two days of playing in the snow, it took me about 90 minutes to brush him out last night. If anyone is interested in cording, just let them play in the snow and don't brush. I'm sure they would be "corded" in no time. Talking about brushing I use a pin comb, and a greyhound comb. And a flea comb around his eyes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Any of you Southerners may laugh at this thread, :p , to hear of this northern Hav problem. Montana here. Our Minka can get huge ones, we call 'em snow dingleberries; so big that she can't move! Like one time recent, damp clingy snow, her rear quarters with multiple dingleberries the size of lemons. (I should get a photo of that.) Needless to say, she doesn't like them, gets all fussy; so I'd be interested in any posts on this.

The other day, just an inch of fresh snow, but when we left to walk a mile to my office, she started getting them right away and we didn't even make it a half city block, as I didn't want to have to drag her or carry her that far, so we turned right back home and I had to leave her home. :(

dboudreau's full snow outfit photo looks like it would help some, but not sure if our Minka would resist getting into that -- she doesn't really like just putting on her little sweater pullover.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
O.k...... I'm posting a pic here that I got on a list. I don't really have permission to post it, but I didn't think it would hurt! You just HAVE to see these "snow dingleberries"! They are TOO MUCH! lmbo

I'll delete the pic in a couple of days....

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
OMG! Poor doggie. We haven't had a big enough snowfall this winter, nut they do come in soaking wet. Last January we had just gotten Kodi and had a blizzard in Feb. That was funny - 2 ft. of snow. He was all iced up LOL

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I cant believe that person let it get that bad!! That must be very painful for the dog:mad: I let them play for a resonsable amount of time in the snow but once they start getting the snowballs where I can see them from above, I bring them in the house. THAT cannot be healthy or good for the dog!
I dont think I would leave my kids out like that - why your dog? Poor thing.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Ok Im laughing at this. I have never heard of such a problem.
haha
Ill have to post photos of Stogie in the snow. I was so excited it started snowing, I got my camera. It didnt even stick to the ground, much less produce snow dingleberries or whatever you call them! HAHAHAHA

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Although it's bound to be uncomfortable for the dog, I know this woman wouldn't have let him get to the point of being hurt. She's a wonderful breeder and lover of Havanese. She was saying that she blowdries most of the snowballs off, towels them and off the dogs go (she has several Havs) BACK outside only to get the same way within minutes! LOL They just love the snow that much!

I can remember when my 3 kids were small and they just wouldn't come back in the house no matter how wet their mitts were or how pink those cheeks became. lol Oh dear.... this poor little pooch.... I dunno... I don't think it's such a painful thing if they keep going back out for more. :)

I think that since Ricky isn't a show dog, I'm definitely not going to keep him in a long coat next winter!! LOL :rolleyes:

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
We don't get snow here, but I just took a trip with two of my Havs and my youngest girl had so much fun in the snow. She went into our friend's backyard for a potty break and it turned into a hilarious runlikehell(from the snow) game. She came with a lot of little snowballs on her underside too. It only took a couple of minutes to get this much:

It didn't hurt her at all. We just put her in the sink and rinsed off her underside and dried her with a towel.

She had a blast with the whole process.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Kimberly, that's hysterical!! Love the picture!! It's always a lot of fun for them, but more work for us. :rolleyes: sigh...... the things we do for our babies.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Unbelievable, that's packing snow for you. I have not experienced this with Oreo just yet, but I remember when we used to have a Pomeranian - way back when, when I was in highschool - he would romp in the snow and do a similar runlikehell, rolling in the snow and all. Then in a matter of minutes he would come back in with clumps of snow attached to him. We would towel him off and then have to blow dry him after. Then once he was done, he would do his runlikehell in the house. I can only imagine how Oreo will be soon enough. Episodes like that are priceless, they make you laugh and I found I took myself less seriously because of my dog. I am looking forward to these wonderful experiences with Oreo too :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Havtahava- I love the expression you used-"runlikehell" ! I am now understanding this to be a havanese trait! Parker does it in the snow too and looks just like your hav's picture- and then gets a blow dry whilde snoozing from exhaustion- wakes up and does the "runllikehell" game in the house! Such an interesting trait that they all have!
Lynn U

·
Karen
3,067 Posts
This is Brady after a fun afternoon playing in the snow. He loves the outdoors. It doesn't matter, snow, mud, grass, he will play in it. He just kept digging his mouth into the snow in our yard looking for his tennis ball and this is what we were left with. We call this picture of him "Snowbear".

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Brady's muzzle is hilarious! That's an adorable photo.

Melissa, I can't even figure out where Cory's head is in that first photo. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts