Havanese Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You want to breed Havanese? You better think twice about it!!!

I ran across this article today which I found enlightening about the dog breeding "business." This is not specific to the Havanese breed and is written in generalities, but I found it eye opening! All the costs suggested will vary quite a bit depending on the regions in the U.S. Perhaps Karen from High Jump Kennels or Tom from Starborn Kennels would like to comment or maybe they won't. The point is anyone who is breeding Havanese is doing it for the love and betterment of the breed and not as a profitable business. Dog bless all the reputable Havanese breeders.

Good Dog

Reactions: LeleRF

·
Metrowest, MA
27,954 Posts
You want to breed Havanese? You better think twice about it!!!

I ran across this article today which I found enlightening about the dog breeding "business." This is not specific to the Havanese breed and is written in generalities, but I found it eye opening! All the costs suggested will vary quite a bit depending on the regions in the U.S. Perhaps Karen from High Jump Kennels or Tom from Starborn Kennels would like to comment or maybe they won't. The point is anyone who is breeding Havanese is doing it for the love and betterment of the breed and not as a profitable business. Dog bless all the reputable Havanese breeders.

Good Dog

Obviously there are some economies of scale. The first litter will ALWAYS be the "most expensive" because there are LOTS of things you need to buy that will be used again and again. Even the breeding dogs, in MOST cases, can be used more than once. So I did it the least efficient, MOST expensive way you can POSSIBLY do it... Buy ALL the stuff planning to have only one litter, at least for the foreseeable future. (though I did borrow what I could) Wait until a bitch is 5 years old, (REALLY late for a first litter, which usually happens around 2) put LOTS of unnecessary performance titles on her on top of her championship, and then have your first litter turn out to need to be an EMERGENCY (adds more expense than planned) C-section, add lots of unexpected expense due to the lactation problems... Then SELL your ONLY girl puppy, so you CAN'T have any more puppies! LOL!

Dave was regularly reminding me that it would have been MUCH cheaper for me to BUY myself another puppy rather than deciding to breed one! LOL! And, indeed, Ducky is THE MOST EXPENSIVE Havanese I have owned. I'd wager he cost more than any Havanese on the forum.

THAT should give you an idea how much money I made on this litter. ;)

I CERTAINLY hope the Kings do better than THAT, or they are doing this COMPLETELY as a charity for all their puppy buyers!

OTOH, I wouldn't have the DELIGHT of having this little DUCK taking charge of my kitchen tonight, and having the satisfaction of knowing that I made him! :) And for me, that was worth it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts