Havanese Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi @Suhu , back on this site after loong & just saw this post. I'm in Southern ON too & got a 1.5 yr old havanese from a breeder here. Out of the many breeders I had reached out, tbh I did not reach out to Everspring. I do see her listed in the Havanese Fanciers of Canada club site (which is where I started my search), so thats something.

I would say- reach out to some senior members of this club & see if you can get their opinions. They generally know each other quite well & I think they would only see it as you doing your research well. Also in general, its good site to follow for info as a Havy owner :).

Glad to hear that written contract is now possible. All the breeders I reached out had written contracts for sure. I didnt quite get to see the parents due to peak covid time, so even puppy pick-up was a rush. But most of them have relaxed it since 2nd-half 2021. But I knew the certifications of the parents & was given a whole pedigree chart with names, etc in my puppy-folder

Happy to help via DM too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi @Suhu , back on this site after loong & just saw this post. I'm in Southern ON too & got a 1.5 yr old havanese from a breeder here. Out of the many breeders I had reached out, tbh I did not reach out to Everspring. I do see her listed in the Havanese Fanciers of Canada club site (which is where I started my search), so thats something.

I would say- reach out to some senior members of this club & see if you can get their opinions. They generally know each other quite well & I think they would only see it as you doing your research well. Also in general, its good site to follow for info as a Havy owner :).

Glad to hear that written contract is now possible. All the breeders I reached out had written contracts for sure. I didnt quite get to see the parents due to peak covid time, so even puppy pick-up was a rush. But most of them have relaxed it since 2nd-half 2021. But I knew the certifications of the parents & was given a whole pedigree chart with names, etc in my puppy-folder

Thank you so much for your note.

Thank you very much for your note and suggestions. I am not sure how to DM on this site.
I would be very interested to know which breeder you did end up using.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It gives me peace of mind to see @krandall 's posts.
CKC in my experience, has been copy of contract signed by both parties at time of pickup, vaccination detail, pedigree info, etc.
I think (I'm not sure) that the registration transfer will be done after - it might be done once pup is neutered/spayed and that confirmation provided back to breeder to fulfill the contract?
Or it's mailed out later - we'll find out.

Unfortunately, I cannot help (wish I could) with @Suhu to give you more detail - but I just don't know the breeder.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
It gives me peace of mind to see @krandall 's posts.
CKC in my experience, has been copy of contract signed by both parties at time of pickup, vaccination detail, pedigree info, etc.
I think (I'm not sure) that the registration transfer will be done after - it might be done once pup is neutered/spayed and that confirmation provided back to breeder to fulfill the contract?
Or it's mailed out later - we'll find out.

Unfortunately, I cannot help (wish I could) with @Suhu to give you more detail - but I just don't know the breeder.
I do NOT like it when breeders withhold registration until after spay/neuter. You are paying a lot of money for a registered, purebred dog. You should expect the dog to be registered. The registration will be "limited", meaning that you cannot register any offspring from your dog. That protects the breeder. They should process the registration promptly, whether you receive the papers when you pick the puppy up or in the mail a week or two later.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,792 Posts
That's probably it - I just don't know enough. And I haven't yet asked the breeder.
There ARE some breeders who do what you mentioned. I just wouldn't work with one who did! :)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts