Havanese Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is the combo we started her on yesterday, when she woke up ready to take on the world! We just gave her another dose of just trazodone, as her morning dose had worn off and she was trying to play with Charlie again, and it knocked her out pretty well. I hate to have her so doped up but the vet said the #1 most important thing is that she heals well, and there’s no way that’s going to happen without the help of drugs. Thankfully she is being SUCH a good girl with the meds, I was worried about it given how tiny her mouth is and how opinionated she is, but she’s been great.

Also, a tip for anyone whose dog is getting surgery— for Charlie’s spring surgery, and for this one, I asked them to shave as little as possible bc their skin gets irritated. Previously, whenever Charlie had an IV, they shaved a huge band on his wrist, which I always just assumed was necessary. And it took MONTHS to grow out. But then @krandall showed us the tiny little spot they shaved for Panda’s emergency c-section, so I learned it was possible to do with very little shaving! And the request worked… it looks so much better, and there’s also one less thing for them to worry.
Omg she sounds just like our little Lexi who is very opinionated and very crazy so we will likely have to do the same thing when the time is right. Thanks for the advice all really good stuff and good to know💖

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
That is the combo we started her on yesterday, when she woke up ready to take on the world! We just gave her another dose of just trazodone, as her morning dose had worn off and she was trying to play with Charlie again, and it knocked her out pretty well. I hate to have her so doped up but the vet said the #1 most important thing is that she heals well, and there’s no way that’s going to happen without the help of drugs. Thankfully she is being SUCH a good girl with the meds, I was worried about it given how tiny her mouth is and how opinionated she is, but she’s been great.

Also, a tip for anyone whose dog is getting surgery— for Charlie’s spring surgery, and for this one, I asked them to shave as little as possible bc their skin gets irritated. Previously, whenever Charlie had an IV, they shaved a huge band on his wrist, which I always just assumed was necessary. And it took MONTHS to grow out. But then @krandall showed us the tiny little spot they shaved for Panda’s emergency c-section, so I learned it was possible to do with very little shaving! And the request worked… it looks so much better, and there’s also one less thing for them to worry.
I've always been on the side of less meds, but realized during the last year that Perry's comfort is the most important thing -and both the trazadone and gabapentin (as long as they tolerate them well) are safe for them - and are much safer than torn sutures or complications from surgery because they were too active. Plus, at least for Perry, he seemed much less distressed on trazadone than without it since he didn't understand why I wasn't letting him run around and was keeping him in his crate.

After trying to keep the meds at their lowest dose and then seeing him in such pain (during his leg surgery) I realized that upping the meds when needed was better all around.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've always been on the side of less meds, but realized during the last year that Perry's comfort is the most important thing -and both the trazadone and gabapentin (as long as they tolerate them well) are safe for them - and are much safer than torn sutures or complications from surgery because they were too active. Plus, at least for Perry, he seemed much less distressed on trazadone than without it since he didn't understand why I wasn't letting him run around and was keeping him in his crate.

After trying to keep the meds at their lowest dose and then seeing him in such pain (during his leg surgery) I realized that upping the meds when needed was better all around.
VERY good point. I know you’ve mentioned Perry gets cold very easily… I’ve noticed the same w Jo the last few days, though we also cut her hair the shortest it’s been so it could just be that. Did you notice anything about getting cold more easily when on the meds?

This is where she needed to be this morning after being forced to go outside in the frigid weather by her mean, mean mom (it’s 56 degrees….). And she had a onesie and a fleece on too!

Carnivore Grey Terrestrial animal Wood Dog breed

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
VERY good point. I know you’ve mentioned Perry gets cold very easily… I’ve noticed the same w Jo the last few days, though we also cut her hair the shortest it’s been so it could just be that. Did you notice anything about getting cold more easily when on the meds?

This is where she needed to be this morning after being forced to go outside in the frigid weather by her mean, mean mom (it’s 56 degrees….). And she had a onesie and a fleece on too!

View attachment 179229
I don't think I could decide if the meds have anything to do with it - since we moved back to the US and he had the surgery all within the first spring we were back so he was on them his first full winter. I did feel like he was colder this past winter than when we've been back before - but in the past we were here for a couple of weeks at a time, not the whole winter. He has always worn a fleece when we were in the US in the winter, but this past winter I also got him a coat because he seemed to be even colder - but who knows if that's meds-related or just being here for a full winter.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Curious— has anyone seen an increase in appetite after spay? She ate terribly for the first few weeks, but since about week 3 after the surgery she’s been eating voraciously. I’m not complaining— she barely ate as a puppy and was borderline underweight for a while. It got better around her first birthday but she was still pretty unenthusiastic about meals, so I never would have thought that this dog would gobble her food the way she has been. I’ve read that spay can increase appetite, but wondering if others have seen this change in Havs? I know they can also gain more easily after being spayed, so I am keeping a careful eye on her body fat, especially bc she’s so small so I think the food amounts are probably tiny to make a difference (if you’d told me this would be a concern for her a year ago, I would have laughed in your face!)

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
Curious— has anyone seen an increase in appetite after spay? She ate terribly for the first few weeks, but since about week 3 after the surgery she’s been eating voraciously. I’m not complaining— she barely ate as a puppy and was borderline underweight for a while. It got better around her first birthday but she was still pretty unenthusiastic about meals, so I never would have thought that this dog would gobble her food the way she has been. I’ve read that spay can increase appetite, but wondering if others have seen this change in Havs? I know they can also gain more easily after being spayed, so I am keeping a careful eye on her body fat, especially bc she’s so small so I think the food amounts are probably tiny to make a difference (if you’d told me this would be a concern for her a year ago, I would have laughed in your face!)
Oh, man!!! My vet and I both had our girls spayed after their (only) litters at about the same time. Her girl is a Border Collie. We have been commiserating about their “spay coats” and their incredible appetites! Panda has always been a good eater… I have often called her the “Labrador Retriever of Havanese”. I have always needed to watch her weight. But now? After every meal, she goes around and licks every molecule out of every one else’s dishes. She waits like a vulture outside Ducky’s crate HOPING he’ll spill something. She knows better than to beg at the human table, but she is always lurking, just HOPING something hits the floor! She acts as if she is being starved to death!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Oh, man!!! My vet and I both had our girls spayed after their (only) litters at about the same time. Her girl is a Border Collie. We have been commiserating about their “spay coats” and their incredible appetites! Panda has always been a good eater… I have often called her the “Labrador Retriever of Havanese”. I have always needed to watch her weight. But now? After every meal, she goes around and licks every molecule out of every one else’s dishes. She waits like a vulture outside Ducky’s crate HOPING he’ll spill something. She knows better than to beg at the human table, but she is always lurking, just HOPING something hits the floor! She acts as if she is being starved to death!
It’s so fascinating! Like I said, I’m not complaining that she finally eats, but we currently have two other dogs in the house and she definitely tried to get to both of their dinners after polishing hers off. Another reason to delay spaying if you can— I feel like it would have been harder to manage with a growing puppy and not over feeding.

·
Metrowest, MA
32,278 Posts
It’s so fascinating! Like I said, I’m not complaining that she finally eats, but we currently have two other dogs in the house and she definitely tried to get to both of their dinners after polishing hers off. Another reason to delay spaying if you can— I feel like it would have been harder to manage with a growing puppy and not over feeding.
WELL... IMO, overfeeding is a human problem. And completely under the human's control. Dogs don't have thumbs and can't feed themselves. They can't eat more than they are fed. I feel a bit bad for Panda, but she doesn't weigh an ounce more than she should.

And I believe that all dogs should be able to eat in peace. So all my dogs eat in crates. They all happily run and wait in their crates for their food, and come out again as soon as everyone is finished eating. But I don't want ANYONE worrying about someone grabbing their food.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
WELL... IMO, overfeeding is a human problem. And completely under the human's control. Dogs don't have thumbs and can't feed themselves. They can't eat more than they are fed. I feel a bit bad for Panda, but she doesn't weigh an ounce more than she should.

And I believe that all dogs should be able to eat in peace. So all my dogs eat in crates. They all happily run and wait in their crates for their food, and come out again as soon as everyone is finished eating. But I don't want ANYONE worrying about someone grabbing their food.
Oh yes I totally agree— I just meant dialing in the right amount might be trickier w a growing puppy! They definitely aren’t at fault when they’re over fed….

21 - 30 of 30 Posts