Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is a wierd question. (maybe)

Will a 10wk old Havanese puppy be able to navigate stairs? The door I want the dog to use will be a half flight of stairs up/down from the rest of the house. Will this not be a good idea? Should I use another door to the outside??

Thanks!
Ryan

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
I think they CAN. If they WILL is a different story. Its scary for a puppy. Since its only half a flight, maybe its better. Mine would finally go up but would NOT come down. I would see her looking at me from the top of the stairs. You have to coax them down, but with a half flight, maybe not....

I would just try and keep in mind it will only be a problem for a short time so dont change it. They pick up fast. You just have to show them not to be scared of the stairs. Sit with them and go up and down.

Let me know how it goes!

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I think a lot also depends on if the stairs are carpeted or not. Logan can go up and down carpeted stairs no problem, probably from age 10 weeks. But most of my stairs are hard wood. He takes a long time to go us, and sometimes slips & falls down a few, but at 17 weeks, still does not go down them. I carry him down. Its not a bad arrangement for me cause I know where he is when we go upstairs. I guess when he is roaming upstairs, if I find him downstairs, I will know he is ready. My pups have to go down 2 steps off the deck for potty, and Logan did those within 10 - 11 weeks.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
We have a similar situation in our condo. We have a set of two small flights of steps with a landing in between them. I remember it was several weeks before Oreo went near those steps. Mind you, I did not formally start exclusive outdoors until about 2 weeks ago. Now that he goes out the front more often, he has slowly learned to overcome his fear of going down the first flight - it is carpeted. He has not problem getting to the landing. Since our foyer is TINY, the landing is where we keep our shoes, so the next flight has a plastic runner to protect the carpet. It's a weird set up and it is a paiin, but for Oreo the plastic runner is a little scary for him because it looks like it is slippery for him. He can go up, but down is a different story. I am sure with time he will get it :)

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Sam would go up the outside stairs from day one (9wks) I was amazed that he climbed them. But he was five months old before he would go down the stairs. :)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I think it can be very scary for a small pup to do stairs. We got Ricky at 9 weeks and had to carry him up and down stairs off the deck so he could do his business in the yard. He started climbing up those steps a couple of weeks later, but he never did go down them. Once winter set in, we closed off our deck and he now goes on the deck to eliminate.

Indoors, though, we live in a 4-level split, so there are stairs everywhere. They are half-floor sets of stairs, so maybe 6 or 7 steps each. He'd go up them at about 3 1/2 mths. or so and down a few weeks later... with a little coaxing on our parts. :)

Now..... he flies up and down those stairs like nobody's business!! :cool:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We have no steps going outside, you just walk out onto the deck. Then there are three steps down to the yard. Kodi had trouble navigating them at 11 weeks. However, Shelby was the same age when we brought her home, and she had no trouble with them.

My daughter has a full flight of carpeted stairs, and Kodi runs up and down with no problem. My basement stairs are not carpeted and he will go up, but not down. Shelby has not tried them yet.

I think you just have to let them try. My daughter has Dachshunds, and they run up and down the stairs like crazy. And they have those little, short legs.

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
Izzy will go up with no problem (12 wks), but fell down three steps off of our deck, so I don't know if she will ever try that again! It scared me to death...I wasn't expecting her to try it as we were waiting for our lab to do her business.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,359 Posts
We have two sets of flights in our house and two two sets of stairs in the back yard (we have a 3 level backyard). We got Bugsy at 12 weeks and in about 3 maybe 4 days he was able to climb up and down both up and down stairs. My stairs in the house are carpeted.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It absolutely depends first on whether it is carpeted and second how much of a risk taker the puppy is. Parler did the carpeted stairs very early after teaching him by standing behind him and doing the walking with him using my hands. Down was a little slower. But the wood stairs took longer for him to take the risk- eventhough I did that with him too. Now he is doing all of it on his own at 7 1/2 months- and does it for enjoyment!
It all happensin time.

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
We live in a three level house so there are alot of stairs. Valentino was pretty much fearless from the beginning....however I wasn't! He would scare me so much cause he would insist on stopping after he got to the top and stick his head through the handrail slats and peer over to the bottom floor! I would almost always have to supervise his stair treks! He's better now that he is older but he still is an adventurer! Keeps me on my toes!:eek:

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
LOL, Doggienut, sounds like he's a hoot!! :D It's the adventurers you have to watch out for ... they are sooo smart! lol But I'll be he's loads of fun too. ;)

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
You are so right Marj....he is VERY smart....too smart for his own good sometimes! I am determined to lasso that intelligence and head it in the right direction! Even though I am not very schooled on training dogs, I am giving it the 'ol college try. Having Valentino around has been like a breath of fresh air, stairs and all!!!:p

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies.. wow, I was not expecting such a huge turnout..lol

wondering if I should use this side door to take the dog out to do its thing. The backyard sliding door is right infront of a nice rug, do I do not want any accedents... But worried the puppy wont be able to do the 1/2 flight of stairs... oh well, guess we shall see when the time comes.. 9 more weeks :(

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Freeway, you will likely find out that any type of rug is a magnet for little accidents. Maybe not, but we had 2 throw rugs in the kitchen, where Ricky was gated and they wouldn't last a day w/o some little quarter-sized pee on them! lol After 3 or 4 days, I said 'the heck with this!' and just got rid of them.

He was never allowed into the living room, where we have a large carpet until months later.

If you can't get rid of the rug, then you'll have to teach him to use that side door you're talking about.

9 more weeks?? How can you stand it??!! :eek: ;)

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I agree Marj. We had to pick up every scatter rug, bath mat, etc.:D I guess they figure if they can pee on a pad, the rug is the same thing. Kodi will only use the pee pad now, but mostly goes outside. Shelby is getting better, especially if I stay more attentive to her and insist she go on the pad and not on the floor.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I did the same thing with the towels & small rugs. Logan always went there to deposit a tsp of pee. I just had about 5 of them & when I saw a spot, it went to the washer & I just rotated them. It has been about a week with no spots ( he is 4 1/2 months old) so there is light at the end of the tunnel. I preferred to just keep washing them to having to clean up a pernament rug.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Cash (15 wks) will go up stairs- but we need to work on getting down. I remember we lured Jasper with a treat after 2 stairs at a time. it takes a while but they can do it.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
9 weeks to go

Yeah. waiting 9 more weeks will be tough.. We have been allready waiting for this dog for about 6 weeks now. Should be 1 week old now... Still waiting for pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ughhhhhh..

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
Yes I know the waiting is hard but it is worth it .. I never did get pictures of Asta from the breeder . She was a first time breeder - she expected only 2-3 puppies - she had 5 . She was overwhelmed as she taught school as well . I think it was her first and last litter ..
Anyway Asta was a wonderful dog and he was worth waiting for. I just amused myself by looking at as many websites as I couls find and looking at all the puppies . Now you have this forum with great advice and pictures as well ..

1 - 20 of 61 Posts