Havanese Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Hav is now 14 weeks old and about 5 1/2 lbs. This morning I took her out and before even thinking to pick her up, she went up the 10-12 outdoor stairs from the basement to street level (right next to her bigger rescue sister). She is a rough and tumble little one generally but wondering about Havanese and stairs and specifically puppies and stairs. Is it okay for their backs, joints to go up the stairs? Have not tried going down the stairs.

(She finally got introduced to her own mat (that will eventually go in her crate) this morning. Her canine sister needed to try it out first.

Attachments

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,873 Posts
IMO going up and down stairs provides no benefit at all to the dog and puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the spine and joints setting them up for possible injury or arthritis in their old age. Therefore I do not allow my dogs to do stairs. From personal experience I have learned it is much easier to prevent an injury in the first place than to deal with it after it occurs, and I want to do my best to keep my dogs as mobile and pain free as possible as they get older.

·
Arf! Arf!
2,744 Posts
All dogs are different with different physiology. Best to make your decision after a discussion and examination with your Vet.

Ricky's Popi

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
If she is safely navigating the steps UP, it's probably OK, although I limited my puppies on stairs until they were at least 6 months old. I would be very careful about letting her go DOWN them yet. She is still very young and her joints are still very immature. Even if the stairs themselves don't hurt her. if she were to make a mistake and fall, she could SERIOUSLY hurt herself.

I would be even MORE concerned about her doing stairs WITH the larger dog. I am SURE your bigger dog would not purposely hurt her, but puppies are fast. And crazy. She could tangle with his feet and bring them both down in a heap.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
These are different stairs, but my entire upstairs is carpet, so gating the stairs solved all kinds of potential problems. It sounds like you are able to control access to the stairs since they’re outside, but I might carry her outside for a while longer (especially if they’re concrete) so she can’t get ahead of you or get up the stairs while you’re locking the door, etc. I’m just imagining that as time goes by, she’ll be more and more excited about outside time and reaching the top of the stairs, so I’d try to wait until she’s a little more physically mature.

Maybe she’ll be a much calmer stair climber than mine! My Havanese is pretty athletic and he loves to takes the stairs at top speed, like he’s showing off his skills. Recently he was injured and a couple of times he tried to bound up the stairs like he always has, then he’d get to the top and lay down. It makes me cringe just thinking about it. He’s doing great now, but I do think how and when we allowed him access to the stairs (I’m still blocking them during playtime so he doesn’t run up or down at top speed) made a difference.

Of course, your puppy is healthy, so walking up stairs in theory is completely reasonable. But there is also more excitement associated with outdoor stairs. If she were to bound up the stairs after your other dog, or see something exciting at the top of the stairs that’s out of your view, there is more risk, so I think caution is warranted.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
What is the rise, and run of the steps, and are they completely enclosed, so a puppy can't get through anywhere? Normal step rise is 7 to 7-1/2 inches. I built the ones going out onto our dog porch with 5-1/2" rise, and they are safe for puppies. Total rise, and run should add up to 17 to 18". With the lower rise, I was able to have a longer run, so they don't tumble down if they get out of control. Balusters are also closer than minimum building code requirements.

edited to add: I'll agree that it should not go down with a larger dog, for a Long time.

http://starbornhavanese.com/images/DSCN5027.JPG

·
Arf! Arf!
2,744 Posts
What is the rise, and run of the steps, and are they completely enclosed, so a puppy can't get through anywhere? Normal step rise is 7 to 7-1/2 inches. I built the ones going out onto our dog porch with 5-1/2" rise, and they are safe for puppies. Total rise, and run should add up to 17 to 18". With the lower rise, I was able to have a longer run, so they don't tumble down if they get out of control. Balusters are also closer than minimum building code requirements
I can confirm that Tom's calculations are in conformance with the Uniform Building Code in California. His 5-1/2" rise steps probably use a standard 1 x 12 as a tread which is 11-1/2" wide. So total rise plus run equals approximately 17" ( 5-1/2 + 11-1/2). Whether you want your Havanese to go up and down those steps is a personal decision after consultation with your Vet. All Havanese dogs are different.

Ricky's Popi

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
As the rise shortens, I'll go out with the run some. Those steps were done long enough ago that I don't remember, but probably 12", or 12-1/4.

Absolutely, all individuals are different, but some you can't stop. This little guy is 6 weeks old, and comes, and goes as he pleases in this setup.

Attachments

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
I can confirm that Tom's calculations are in conformance with the Uniform Building Code in California. His 5-1/2" rise steps probably use a standard 1 x 12 as a tread which is 11-1/2" wide. So total rise plus run equals approximately 17" ( 5-1/2 + 11-1/2). Whether you want your Havanese to go up and down those steps is a personal decision after consultation with your Vet. All Havanese dogs are different.

Ricky's Popi
To be clear, though, this isn't an issue of adult dogs. The OP was talking about a young puppy doing stairs, and doing them WITH a much larger dog. That's not the same thing as an adult dog doing stairs. I don't think most vets would have any issue with a normal, healthy adult Havanese doing normal stairs without interference.

So be careful in how the question is framed if you are going to ask a vet about it. I suspect that ANY vet would be VERY worried about a young, small breed puppy being knocked down stairs by an adult large breed dog. That is a different question from, "Is it OK for my Havanese to go up and down stairs"?

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
As the rise shortens, I'll go out with the run some. Those steps were done long enough ago that I don't remember, but probably 12", or 12-1/4.

Absolutely, all individuals are different, but some you can't stop. This little guy is 6 weeks old, and comes, and goes as he pleases in this setup.
And a couple of steps like that is only going to be a "lesson" to be more careful if he tumbles down. But I think that is very different from giving a young puppy free access to a full flight of stairs.

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,175 Posts
I am letting Fezzik go up the couple of steps into the house. He isn't ready to attempt multiple steps down. There is one low step out of the garage side door he has tried a couple of times. Face plant! It will be a while before he is allowed to try more than that. Also, I usually carry him down the steps because I am rushing him out to go potty. He did well yesterday, only one accident which wasn't his fault. I asked my son to grab him while I put on my jacket. I yelled from the hallway, "If you scare or chase pee out of him, YOU are cleaning it up." Sure enough, my son was cleaning pee up. So navigating down stairs aren't on Fezzik's to-do list.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,873 Posts
I think the subject of stairs is not black or white just like many other subjects. At one end of the spectrum you have a single dog navigating a few steps a few times a day. At the other end of the spectrum you have multiple dogs flying up and down several flights of stairs at breakneck speed several times a day. The latter is what I experienced and decided it was not in their best interest. A simple gate took care of the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts