Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok we are about to start building a house.

I am putting in a room for the dogs. Not back by the laundry room, but off of the den. It will have glass doors so I can see in, and have a doggie door to outside. I will also put a big sink for bathing and a grooming area.

AND the house will have NO carpet! Not a spec of carpet in our house, thats the rule!

Does anyone have any other tips? Anything you wish you had or you would have done?

Im thinking wood floors now. Maybe the distressed ones so you cant see scratches?

·
Registered
847 Posts
We have distressed wood floors and I love them. We just did an addition and remodel and the one thing I wish I had done, but didn't think of, was to put a 'wash area' in the dog room. We have a deep utility sink in our mud room but it's on the other side of the house. The dog room is between our kitchen and laundry room with doggy doors to the outside fenced yard. There is an area in part of that room with a black concrete floor. If I had been smarter, I would have put a drain in the floor right there with a shower head/hand held thingy on the wall above so I could just wash 'em right in their little room.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I just recently built an addition to our house for the dogs. The dogroom is 16x22. They have a dogdoor that goes out onto a 16x40 covered veranda which is attached to a small fenced in yard that can be closed off from or open to about 1/4 acre of hardwoods, that's fenced in, with moss covered ground.
The veranda is really nice so that they have a place to go outside when it's raining. The fence on the long side of the veranda also serves as a part of the pasture fence, so we can pet dogs and horses at the same time.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The drain is a great idea!
Im going to put one of those big farmers sinks in.

Still dont know what to put on the floor.
Tom, your room/area sounds like doggy heaven.
I never thought about the covered area for when it is raining.
Of course they would be out in the rain, Goldie would be out in a hurricane if she could.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Cru does not like rain. He doesn't like to get his feet wet. Hmmm. The dogs do have a covered area in their yard, it's like a little minature barn that matches our big barns, but he would have to walk across wet grass to get there. I have to carry him on to the grass to potty if it's wet. He gives me a very dirty look when I do that, too.
Tom, sounds like you have a GREAT setup.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
A photographer friend gave us a 2x6 foot stainless steel sink. I put on one of the commercial kitchen faucets that you squeeze to shower the dogs with. Petedge sells a 2' wide plastic grating that's raised on a stainless steel frame that seems like it was made for our sink. On one end we can put various sized tubs to emerse the various sized dogs in to make sure they are soaked or rinsed well. Underneath the sink I built a cabinet that has huge drawers on ball bearing slides that hold gallons of shampoo and such, and another one that holds towels. Beside the sink is a washer and dryer.

We used a utility sink on raised legs for years. The new setup is a real pleasure to use.

We use a Oster dryer for the puppies and the big Edemco for larger dogs. The Edemco is a bit intimidating for a puppy but it saves a lot of time on the adults.

I tried to post pictures but they were too big.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I used an industrial "moisture cure urethane" on our wood floors and have had no scratching problems from dogs in the 10 years we've had Havanese.

This stuff looks pretty interesting for the dogroom:
http://www.kieferfloors.com/store/sport_impact.html

We have the old standard square Armstrong tile that you see in hospitals and such now, but I would like something a bit softer, that also helps with noise.

I'm also trying to find more info on this stuff:
http://www.design4design.com/products/product.asp?NAV=26514&page=1

There's also this stuff, but it's $15 a square foot for a large job like a barn:
http://www.abacussports.com/equinesystems.htm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very cool links Tom, love the stuff in the second one you posted.
We got our plans today, we only made a couple of changes. Made the dog room bigger and added a studio upstairs.

I was thinking tile in the dog room, but they may be slippery.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok a toilet just for dog poop! Im so impressed!
Thats is a good idea actually. I will also consider the closet.

Your dogs have it good! You really thought this through.
I was thinking black tile, but it may look dirty all the time? I dont know.
You are going to be able to see it from our main living area and our bedroom, so I want it to look nice.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Melissa, I have black granite vanity tops in three of the bathrooms and it's the hardest thing in the house to keep clean. (I still really like it, anyway)
We also have some tumbled marble in a couple of places and it's a breeze to keep looking clean, on second thought, it's pretty porous, so it probably wouldn't be good for a dog room, don't want it to soak up any accidents!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Tile Floors for dogs

Melissa,

I really like the looks of the rubber floors that Tom posted about. I don't know how aesthetically pleasing type of flooring is, but I can tell you that I CRINGE everytime one of my dogs jumps down off the couch onto my tile floor. I have doggy stairs for both of my couches and I am trying to train my dogs to use them, but inevitalbly, a game of runlikeheck will start up, and someone jumps directly onto the tile floor. I am so worried about someone getting hurt. Tile is not very forgiving. I just spent a bunch of money putting tile into the family room and down the hallway. It looks great, but after living with it for a few months now, I think there are better choices for dogs. Wood might be better, but the rubber floors might be ideal due to great shock absorption.

Karen

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
I have an old home that is redone and it has all hardwood floors through out it except in the kitchen, we put in slate- it is kind of a dark blue/gray and it has other colors in it. I love it though. You don't see doggy paw prints, when I feed them they can make a mess, etc.

Amanda

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I had a house in the desert and I wanted wood floors but the builder would not put them in because of the extreme heat in the summers heat .
Through a designer I found a tile floor that looked exactly like wood . No one could tell the difference and many people thought it was natural I really liked it as it had a nice casual look and it was easy to maintain . Great for pets as well and cool when it was hot but not too cold on your when it was cool .
Your doggie room sounds wonderful . I think it is great to have everything all in one room . I think adequate storage for towels, crate pads and grooming supplies is a must /I do not know if you want the towels on shelves instead of cupboards just because it is easier to reach them when you have a slippery fellow .

I also think it is important if you get a doggie door to get the kind where the dog wears some kind of transmitter to come in from the outdoors . it activates the door and there is not just a flap .I do not know where you live but I do know in areas of California we have had problems with critters such as raccons and others critters coming in the house through doggie doors ..

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Doggie doors

FYI

There are some doggie doors on the market where you pooch wears an electronic colar that is the only thing that opens the door. Now. I don't think that will help if your pooch is a party animal and invites some friends in with him. You would have to check how long it takes the door to close or deactivate after the colar has already gone through...........

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Tom,
The "rubber" flooring I just discovered myself. I thought it was a great solution for both indoor and outdoor depending of course on the set up and situation.

I would love to know what someone thought of it if they have it. I am on a show dog forum and several thought it might not be good for dogs if they tried to chew on it, but my understanding is that it isn't loose, but rather a more solid matter and there is some that can even be poured like cement.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
I haven't really had time to find out any more about the different floors. I used the Armstrong 12" square tile in the dogroom but wanted a carefree finish so used moisture cure urethane on it. It's a pretty bullet proof finish and has proved absolutely easy to clean up, and has zero scratches on it with 12 dogs on it for over a year, but it wasn't a recommended substrate and it did react here and there which left some ugly looking stains making it look dirty all the time.

In any case the dogs have been using it for over a year now and I'm getting close to finishing the rest of that addition. We have no choice but to leave it for now until the third wing of additions provides a temporary place for the dogs, so they will have someplace to stay for a few days while I redo that floor. Just getting ready to start the second addition, which will be the smallest(still 24x24), but it's the new kitchen so will take a while to get that done before the third addition is even started. Maybe something new will be available by then. I'm retired from building homes so am just working on ours for fun now.

We've decided that rubber floors are out since I can't find any that don't smell so strong-not to mention that the seamless goes from $15 sq. ft. and up. I did look at some synthetics when we were doing the workout room but we ended up just going with a wood floor in there. Also I did find another moisture cure urethane product from Sherwin-Williams, called Rexthane, that I could just put right over what's there but the stuff outgasses so toxically that the dogs will still have to have someplace else to stay for a while.

http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/im/industrialflooring/armorsealrexthanemcu.asp?nav=Products

1 - 20 of 21 Posts