Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. Don't have a Havanese yet.:( :( Timing is everything and I was hoping for a puppy or a young adult in the summer because we can give it 24x7 attention with our summer schedules. So, it may take me some time or even a few years. I have done about all the research I can online. Does anyone have any reading suggestions to help a newbie, ie. potty training, etc.?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I love the "puppies for Dummies" and "housetraining for dummies" books. They answered a lot of my questions and seemed to give many options on how to do things. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I love the "puppies for Dummies" and "housetraining for dummies" books. They answered a lot of my questions and seemed to give many options on how to do things. Good Luck!!
Yeah the puppy Dummy and idiot type books are equally good with a good amount of humor thrown in.

Excellent Havanese breed specific book is "The Havanese" by Diane Klumb with Dr. Joanne Baldwin.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advise. I heard from the breeder yesterday and if everything goes OK it looks like we may have a puppy in late March or April. Sooner than I expected, but I can make it work out with the help of family and friends. So, I guess I better start reading very fast.

Thanks again for your advice. I love this webite!:) :)I am learning so much

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just thought I would update everyone. I am getting very excited because I just talked to the breeder today on the phone. We talked for an hour. (Previously we had emails). She was wonderful. She will be monitoring the puppies to see which one will make a good pet therapy dog. That it our goal. So, I just mailed the deposit and contract. This is wonderful!:D :D :D

It was a little sooner than I had planned to get a puppy but I have a lot of family and friends who can help out. It just seems like it was meant to be.

Does anyone on the forum have a pet therapy dog and any advise?:D :D

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
Who is your breeder? I can remember that "wait" until you new puppy comes home...it seems to take forever!
Before you know it, your little bundle of fluff will be home with you.
I am not sure about therapy work. I have 5 Havs, and I think a couple of them would make great therapy dogs, and a couple of them definatly don't have the personality for it~ ;) You should check in your area to see if they have Therapy classes or training.
Soooo, what color is your baby and what will you name it???

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My breeder's name is Patricia and she is in PA. She is very knowledgeable. No color or sex yet. I am letting it up to her. I don't care if it is "purple with pink polka dots". Only kidding......... My son and I noticed a black female in the pictures she sent. Hopefully, she is the one. But I truly believe that breeders (good breeders) know which dog is the right fit for a family. So, we are open to male or female. As she said, "for a therapy dog, you need a dog you can drop a bomb on and it won't react." So, we will see.

As far as names, we thought about Koda from "Brother Bear" for a boy and Lady from "Lady and the Tramp" for a girl. They were my youngest son's favorite movies. I also thought of "Angel" because it just seems like we were meant to get this dog at this time. We could use something positive in our lives>:D :D :D

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Cant wait to see the new baby!! I think that some Havanese would make great therapy dogs!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Dear Newbie, Congratulations on your soon to be new Hav puppy. But beware!!! Has anyone told you about the potato chip syndrome and Havanese - bet you can't have just one :)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
It is SOOO funny that you just wrote that. I had all three of mine at the vets yesterday for the baby's first shots as well as for shots for the girls. My vet said the same thing to me - "they are just like potatoe chips" !!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I have the syndrome already but want to get through the first year with one and see what happens. I am sure we will be adding another after that.:D :D :D

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Hi Rita,

I'm a newbie here too. :) Our Havanese is Ricky, who is 6 mths. old now and growing fast! He is almost all black, but has a white goatee and a tiny bit of white on his chest and his two back paws. He does have shades of brown, silver and beige here and there so I know he'll be getting paler as he gets older. His dad is a chocolate Hav. and mom is a sable.

I am very excited for you, Rita!! I sure wish we could have another one day, but there is so much going on with having 3 teens (16, 15 and 12) and two cats and all the stuff that comes with that and a house... sigh... if it were up to me, we'd have our second Hav SOON! lol

Let us know once you have pictures to share o.k.? :)

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
You're going to enjoy your new baby! We love Princess, I can't imagine life without her.

I am already hinting to dh that we need another one, but he laughs at me. lol

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I was so nervous about getting a 2nd puppy, but it really has been "a good thing". There is a little jealousy. but it was really fun this morning when they both needed hugs and kisses at the same time. Watching them play tug is hysterical. They slept all morning, so right now it is the run-like-hell game with both of them.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Yes, that's what I would love to see... two Hav's having a good time playing runlikehell or fetch. I'm sure Ricky wouldn't be so bored and he'd sleep better at night. lol Of course, it doesn't have to be another Havanese, so maybe we'll look into a shelter dog one of these days....

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

PHP:
Just thought I would keep you all up to date. We are going to meet the breeder (in person) and the puppies on Feb 24. Hopefully we don't get a blizzard that weekend. I am sooooooooo excited.:D :D The black and tan girl we were watching isn't a fit for us. She is the alpha female. She even takes on her mother. So, we will see what the other puppies are like and maybe bring one home the second week of March.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Yay! You'll have to take some pics so we can all oohh, and aahh over the puppies.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
OOOOoooooo, how exciting!! Yes, pics please. ;)

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Congratulations Rita that is so exciting :) I remember counting down the days, it seemed like Forever and now here he is :) I look forward to seeing your little puppy pics soon :) They are so sweet and tiny!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts