Havanese Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Suki's Mom
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far at almost one year old Suki has managed to eat a diamond earring (that was still in my ear), a grape, a little piece of onion, a quarter cup of homemade chicken noodle soup (loaded with garlic and onions), an omega 3 gummy vitamin, another adult vitamin, carpet, foam, tissues, sticks, some little rocks, cat fur, puke (his own), flies, mosquitoes, worms (fresh and dried), a lot of poop (his and other dogs, coyotes, rabbits, deer, etc.) and now 3 apple seeds. This makes us sound like negligent owners but truth be told the little guy eats EVERYTHING except his food. So far he pooped out the diamond earring (thank you!) and thankfully hasn't had a really bad reaction to any of it (for the most part we just fed him rice and chicken and waited anxiously). Regardless, many calls were made to the vet and many tears were spilled. We are wondering if the little guy has a death wish. We have taught him "leave it" but he is so darn fast.... I often return to the forum to search to see if anyone else's darling puppy has done any of this and am relieved to find I am not alone. It doesn't prevent a call to the vet but it does alleviate the anxiety and crying! Thanks to all for their posts!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
Hi, I just Google your question and I found this statement by someone hope this helps you.




Apple seeds contain a cyanide compound. The way you serve apple to your dogs, it's not enough to do anything, but since it isn't good for them and it only takes a second to core an apple, why feed it to them? Especially if you are feeding your dogs some apple daily, it would be good to discard the seeds. Dogs tend to swallow and not chew the seeds and they pass thru the digestive system.
 

·
Tori's mom
Joined
·
4,988 Posts
Suki's Mom~ My little Shadow was like that. I was forever taking things out of her mouth and checking her poop for the things I missed :puke: I know how wearing it is to always have to be on high alert to try to catch them before it's too late. We re-landscaped our backyard because we had some plants that were toxic to dogs.

Fortunately, Tori is only interested in eating what she's suppose to, for the most part. She did go through a stage of eating her own poo but, has outgrown it. And occasionally I have to remove a leaf of some kind from her mouth. But, about the only thing she eats regularly, that's not on the menu, is grass. I swear she must be part goat the way she loves it :pound:

Hopefully, Suki will eventually outgrow his taste for unusual "stuff" ;)
 

·
Suki's Mom
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to all for their posts! I hope he outgrows it too but he is one year old already so I doubt it. We went camping this weekend and my girls caught him eating wood, grass and leaves. What a guy! We never know what we will find in his mouth or in his poo! But we'll keep up the vigilance. He is worth it!!!
 

·
Metrowest, MA
Joined
·
26,753 Posts
Thanks to all for their posts! I hope he outgrows it too but he is one year old already so I doubt it. We went camping this weekend and my girls caught him eating wood, grass and leaves. What a guy! We never know what we will find in his mouth or in his poo! But we'll keep up the vigilance. He is worth it!!!
One year old is still VERY young. He;'s still not mature yet. Most dogs are AT LEAST two before they really settle down and some are quite a bit older. They do get a LOT better around the one year mark, but it continues to slowly get better for a long time after that!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
My first two children got into lighter fluid, razor blades, took the car our of park and fell out of the car, etc. Many trips to the emergency room for minor scraps. the next set of children, never got a scraped knee, no trips to the emergency room, no trips to the dr other than well baby etc. The difference was that I was grown up and more experienced and learned to watch the children at all times. Same goes for dogs. You have to watch them just like crawling babies. Babies will put anything in their mouths and so will dogs. Now the DH didn't get the lesson over the years so I don't let him baby sit or dog sit either. I guess this sounds like I am lecturing but really I am saying that you just have to watch a dog just like a baby. Actually that should be put on the puppy page.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top