Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up Glow this weekend from Pam and Tom King!! She is so cute and makes the cutest noises that we want to pick her up whenever she whines. However, she started to whine whenever we left the room for seconds or put her in her ex-pen while we worked a couple feet away from her. We had to learn to let her tough out some of those times -- unless it's the potty whine, which we quickly learned the difference. :D Today she was such a good girl in the ex-pen and settled down only after a few minutes! She is getting good with the potty training - we had some minor accidents when she got too excited or we weren't watching her 100% which was expected.

She loves cuddling with us and we talked about not having her in the bed but that didn't last long. :D We put her in her crate at night and she wakes up around 6 am to go potty. Then she sleeps in our bed until around 7:30 am. We still are working on a permanent name but for now she's Glow/Little G. Here's a pic!

·
Arf! Arf!
3,026 Posts
she started to whine whenever we left the room for seconds or put her in her ex-pen while we worked a couple feet away from her. We had to learn to let her tough out some of those times.......She loves cuddling with us and we talked about not having her in the bed but that didn't last long.
They are called a "velcro dog" for good reason! You will quickly understand that learning tough love is more difficult for you than it is for them.

We still are working on a permanent name but for now she's Glow/Little G. Here's a pic!
Is that CALIENTE? I'm getting confused by all the cute puppies joining us. I can't decide which one is the cutest so I'll take one of each!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are called a "velcro dog" for good reason! You will quickly understand that learning tough love is more difficult for you than it is for them.

Is that CALIENTE? I'm getting confused by all the cute puppies joining us. I can't decide which one is the cutest so I'll take one of each!
You are right!!! I want to spoil her but we also want to use the bathroom in peace. :cool:

Haha, all of the puppies are adorable! Glow is from Starborn's Ellie and Redman's litter and Caliente is from Molly and Redman's litter born 5 days earlier. When we went to pick up Glow, we saw their other precious puppies running around us and playing. It was so funny watching them - Glow and @Mando's Mommy Mando were getting frisky with each other at one point. :D Glow came up to us and let us play with her paws briefly before she went back to playing. All of the puppies were precious and we love Glow to bits!

·
Registered
206 Posts
We picked up Glow this weekend from Pam and Tom King!! She is so cute and makes the cutest noises that we want to pick her up whenever she whines. However, she started to whine whenever we left the room for seconds or put her in her ex-pen while we worked a couple feet away from her. We had to learn to let her tough out some of those times -- unless it's the potty whine, which we quickly learned the difference. :D Today she was such a good girl in the ex-pen and settled down only after a few minutes! She is getting good with the potty training - we had some minor accidents when she got too excited or we weren't watching her 100% which was expected.

She loves cuddling with us and we talked about not having her in the bed but that didn't last long. :D We put her in her crate at night and she wakes up around 6 am to go potty. Then she sleeps in our bed until around 7:30 am. We still are working on a permanent name but for now she's Glow/Little G. Here's a pic!

View attachment 174013
She is so adorable! Cuteness overload! 😍

·
Registered
206 Posts
She is adorable! She sounds a lot like her half-sis Piper (formerly Caliente) - they even wake up at same time for a potty break! Wish you and Mando's Mommy lived closer, I'd love to let her have a sibling playdate!
I wish we all lived closer, too!

I also hope that Mando chooses to sleep in a little later than his sister and half-sister. I'm not a morning person as it is. 🤣

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
What a beautiful dog!

At one point, I was thinking Indigo would be a nice name for a dog. Then I got into agility and realized the word GO is too important to have as part of a name. IndiGLO however, might work! I used to have a Timex watch with Indiglo®. I loved being able to check the time at night ...

You know I'm just kidding, right? I do like the name Glow, however!

Then there's my top-secret-which-isn't-really-secret idea for our next dog, Levity, Lev for short! That name is available to anyone who doesn't mind sharing it with our next dog!

I hope all you new puppy owners keep posting photos.

You are all invited to the the virtual play date on Sunday!

💚💛🧡💜💙

PS Looks like "Glow" With the Flo hasn't noticed this thread yet ... 🤠

·
Registered
209 Posts
What a beautiful dog!

At one point, I was thinking Indigo would be a nice name for a dog. Then I got into agility and realized the word GO is too important to have as part of a name. IndiGLO however, might work! I used to have a Timex watch with Indiglo®. I loved being able to check the time at night ...

You know I'm just kidding, right? I do like the name Glow, however!

Then there's my top-secret-which-isn't-really-secret idea for our next dog, Levity, Lev for short! That name is available to anyone who doesn't mind sharing it with our next dog!

I hope all you new puppy owners keep posting photos.

You are all invited to the the virtual play date on Sunday!

💚💛🧡💜💙

PS Looks like "Glow" With the Flo hasn't noticed this thread yet ... 🤠
Lol “Glow“ With The Flo😂😂😂😂😘

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wish we all lived closer, too!

I also hope that Mando chooses to sleep in a little later than his sister and half-sister. I'm not a morning person as it is. 🤣
Same! I am the complete opposite of a morning person too lol! It's been tough getting up that early but after that 530/630 AM pee break, I put her back in the crate beside our bed. She whines about it for a couple minutes ("i'm up now! why arent we playing?") but soon settles and we can steal another 1.5-2 hours of sleep. Like today she woke up at 645, i took her to pee, put her back in the crate (today the protest only lasted 15-20 seconds!) and we got up "for real" at 8:30am to start the day.

I started setting an alarm to go off when we get up to start the day so that she'll start to know when that goes off we're up for real and ready to eat/play.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Same! I am the complete opposite of a morning person too lol! It's been tough getting up that early but after that 530/630 AM pee break, I put her back in the crate beside our bed. She whines about it for a couple minutes ("i'm up now! why arent we playing?") but soon settles and we can steal another 1.5-2 hours of sleep. Like today she woke up at 645, i took her to pee, put her back in the crate (today the protest only lasted 15-20 seconds!) and we got up "for real" at 8:30am to start the day.

I started setting an alarm to go off when we get up to start the day so that she'll start to know when that goes off we're up for real and ready to eat/play.
Perry has always been wonderfully patient about what time we get up so we don't set a time - just this week we've gotten up at 7, 8, and around 9:30 and he's been fine about all of them. The only time he gets at all antsy is when he's got jetlag - at which point he's happy to get up run outside quickly and then come back and snuggle in bed for another hour or two :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone!! We love her so much and she makes the cutest noises and stares at us with her beautiful warm brown eyes! I never thought it'd be possible to love a pup so much!

Today I took her out in the backyard with her harness and leash and she's doing great at it. She already knows the sit command and I think the stay command. These are very smart dogs (maybe too smart)! :D We are still working on her biting now since she is teething I believe. We usually give her chew toys, sticks, and cold puppy binky to occupy her and today I started the peanut butter trick on the top of my hand as she licked and I said "no biting, kisses, kisses". I learned that on this forum and she seems to be better after it.

I wish we all lived closer, too, and could all have play dates! I plan on joining the virtual call on Sunday for a bit and wonder if they will recognize their siblings and half-siblings!

I keep forgetting to do this but started today writing down the times she pees and poops so I can watch her like a hawk when I know it's close to pee time. I forgot to write a few instances down but so far it looks like she pees every 1.5 hrs and poops about 3 or 4 times a day. The first night we got her, she ate her poop, but thank goodness that stopped!

I'm not a morning person either so good to know her bladder will get bigger as she gets older so I can sleep in. 😴

@NotAMuggle - we are down to about 5-10 mins of her whining before she settles down. Hope to get it to 15-20 seconds with your little one. Please share your tricks!

We've gotten better about ignoring her "I want attention" whines when we put her in her ex-pen but like I said she makes the cutest gosh darn baby noises!! 👶 However, the ignoring is paying off because I can quickly go in the kitchen, go to the laundry room, or even use the bathroom in peace today! The showering didn't go well though! I put her in a crate like below on the bathroom floor and would stick my head out so she knew I was still there. She screamed and whined. Well I guess, I didn't latch the door all the way, since she busted out! Then she tried to get into the shower with me! First she would stick her head in, then her head would get wet, and she would back out. She tried about 5 times and each time she got wet, she ran around the bathroom like a crazy baby!! It was actually quite funny but was probably the fastest shower I had to take!! Hoping today's goes better! Any tips will be much appreciated!!!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts