Havanese Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

Registered
Thank you everyone!! We love her so much and she makes the cutest noises and stares at us with her beautiful warm brown eyes! I never thought it'd be possible to love a pup so much!

Today I took her out in the backyard with her harness and leash and she's doing great at it. She already knows the sit command and I think the stay command. These are very smart dogs (maybe too smart)! :D We are still working on her biting now since she is teething I believe. We usually give her chew toys, sticks, and cold puppy binky to occupy her and today I started the peanut butter trick on the top of my hand as she licked and I said "no biting, kisses, kisses". I learned that on this forum and she seems to be better after it.

I wish we all lived closer, too, and could all have play dates! I plan on joining the virtual call on Sunday for a bit and wonder if they will recognize their siblings and half-siblings!

I keep forgetting to do this but started today writing down the times she pees and poops so I can watch her like a hawk when I know it's close to pee time. I forgot to write a few instances down but so far it looks like she pees every 1.5 hrs and poops about 3 or 4 times a day. The first night we got her, she ate her poop, but thank goodness that stopped!

I'm not a morning person either so good to know her bladder will get bigger as she gets older so I can sleep in. 馃槾

@NotAMuggle - we are down to about 5-10 mins of her whining before she settles down. Hope to get it to 15-20 seconds with your little one. Please share your tricks!

We've gotten better about ignoring her "I want attention" whines when we put her in her ex-pen but like I said she makes the cutest gosh darn baby noises!! 馃懚 However, the ignoring is paying off because I can quickly go in the kitchen, go to the laundry room, or even use the bathroom in peace today! The showering didn't go well though! I put her in a crate like below on the bathroom floor and would stick my head out so she knew I was still there. She screamed and whined. Well I guess, I didn't latch the door all the way, since she busted out! Then she tried to get into the shower with me! First she would stick her head in, then her head would get wet, and she would back out. She tried about 5 times and each time she got wet, she ran around the bathroom like a crazy baby!! It was actually quite funny but was probably the fastest shower I had to take!! Hoping today's goes better! Any tips will be much appreciated!!!
View attachment 174021
Haha the visual of her sticking her head in the shower and running around when it got wet is hilarious! 馃槀

For the whining when you leave the room and she's in the ex-pen, I think you're doing well with the ignoring thing. What's working for us is totally ignoring her when she does it too. If i am in the kitchen making coffee and she's whining in the pen I will wait until there's a few seconds in a row of quiet before re-entering. I don't say anything when I leave the room so as not to rev her up. I want her to think comings and goings are not a big deal. Sometimes when I leave a room and come back if she's just calmly relaxing/laying in her ex-pen I will walk over and give her some (calm/lowkey) "good girls"/pets. I NEVER do that if when I enter the room she starts whining, only when she's chilled out and quiet. Doing this over the last few days has seemed to have cut down whining from minutes to > 60 seconds.

What brand harness are you using? Piper hates hers, she is a bit of a drama queen when we put it on. She just sadly plops down when it's on (though magically was able to run around in it when at Puppy kindergarten last night 馃檮 lol). Plus I think it's too big for her.

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
For the whining when you leave the room and she's in the ex-pen, I think you're doing well with the ignoring thing. What's working for us is totally ignoring her when she does it too. If i am in the kitchen making coffee and she's whining in the pen I will wait until there's a few seconds in a row of quiet before re-entering. I don't say anything when I leave the room so as not to rev her up. I want her to think comings and goings are not a big deal. Sometimes when I leave a room and come back if she's just calmly relaxing/laying in her ex-pen I will walk over and give her some (calm/lowkey) "good girls"/pets. I NEVER do that if when I enter the room she starts whining, only when she's chilled out and quiet. Doing this over the last few days has seemed to have cut down whining from minutes to > 60 seconds.

What brand harness are you using? Piper hates hers, she is a bit of a drama queen when we put it on. She just sadly plops down when it's on (though magically was able to run around in it when at Puppy kindergarten last night 馃檮 lol). Plus I think it's too big for her.
This is good to know about the whining, thank you!! I made the mistake of coddling her when she first whined since my bf had to be on conference calls so couldn't have her crying in the background so we need to back-up and try again.

I got lucky with the Voyager harness in XS. It was fairly inexpensive, too. Glow seems comfortable in hers and she's totally fine with keeping it on a few minutes when we come back inside. BEST PET SUPPLIES Voyager Plush Suede Dog Harness, Latte, X-Small - Chewy.com

I'd love to hear about your puppy kindergarten experience!

Registered
This is good to know about the whining, thank you!! I made the mistake of coddling her when she first whined since my bf had to be on conference calls so couldn't have her crying in the background so we need to back-up and try again.

I got lucky with the Voyager harness in XS. It was fairly inexpensive, too. Glow seems comfortable in hers and she's totally fine with keeping it on a few minutes when we come back inside. BEST PET SUPPLIES Voyager Plush Suede Dog Harness, Latte, X-Small - Chewy.com

I'd love to hear about your puppy kindergarten experience!
Thanks for the harness link! Puppy K was really good! She initially was scared and didn't want to come out of the carrier but she warmed up and ended up having so much fun that when it was over she didn't want to get back IN the carrier haha.

Premium Member
I've never heard of "the peanut butter trick." (Post #21.) If we ever get another puppy, there will be so much forum reading to do!

馃挌馃挍馃А馃挏馃挋

Premium Member
I missed Glow's arrival! She such a pretty girl! 馃グ Your going to have such fun with your furbaby!

Registered
We put Mando's harness on for the first time yesterday and the second time yesterday. He hates it. He kept chasing his tail/back in circles trying to get at it to take it off. It was actually kind of funny to see but I can already see it being a struggle. I took it out again this afternoon to try on him again this afternoon (third time) and he ran away as soon as he saw me holding it!

Metrowest, MA
We put Mando's harness on for the first time yesterday and the second time yesterday. He hates it. He kept chasing his tail/back in circles trying to get at it to take it off. It was actually kind of funny to see but I can already see it being a struggle. I took it out again this afternoon to try on him again this afternoon (third time) and he ran away as soon as he saw me holding it!
Try putting it on right before meals and taking it off immediately after meals for now.

Arf! Arf!
Try putting it on right before meals and taking it off immediately after meals for now.
Yeah, Momi has been that for years now with me at meal time. I got used to it quickly or else I got nothing to eat. 馃槬

With Ricky, it was a different story. He liked his harness right from the beginning because it meant he was either going walkies or a ride in the car and he loves to do both. On the other hand, he hated to wear a cone when he was neutered. He was miserable. So we made other arrangements to keep him from licking his sutures.

Metrowest, MA
Yeah, Momi has been that for years now with me at meal time. I got used to it quickly or else I got nothing to eat. 馃槬

With Ricky, it was a different story. He liked his harness right from the beginning because it meant he was either going walkies or a ride in the car and he loves to do both. On the other hand, he hated to wear a cone when he was neutered. He was miserable. So we made other arrangements to keep him from licking his sutures.
Yes, once they understand that good things go along with the harness, most stop disliking it. But little puppies don鈥檛 have that association yet.

...and cones? There is NEVER anything good associated with a cone! :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
I've never heard of "the peanut butter trick." (Post #21.) If we ever get another puppy, there will be so much forum reading to do!

馃挌馃挍馃А馃挏馃挋
I finally found the link - Biting post #3. I'll paste here to make it easier,
From @Sissygirl's post,
Here is one for biting.

A dog named Honey kept biting and the owner wanted to teach it kisses.

So this trainer (Tamar Geller) says:

"I needed to teach Honey to kiss hands, not bite them, so I pulled out a jar of peanut butter. You can use any healthy food that can be smeared on your hand. Some dogs like peanut butter, and other like honey or liver spread. I smeared a think layer of peanut butter on the back of my hand and put it out for Honey to lick. As soon as she started licking the good-tasting treat, I repeatedly said, "Kisses, kisses, kisses," with a soft and appreciative voice. "Good kisses," I reinforced as Honey savored the peanut butter. I was teaching her that licking my hand, or kisses, was something I wanted her to do, without correcting her nipping behavior. "

We have been trying a mix of a few things, including new pacifier toys, a stern "Ow" and "No" and stop moving/ignoring her for 30 seconds, and time out if she keeps doing it. Can't wait for this stage to end, those puppy teeth are SHARP! :cry:

Metrowest, MA
The thing with this is many people (me included) do not LIKE dogs that do a lot of licking. So there is that. Second, ALL dogs DO grow out of puppy nipping. So it is more a matter of protecting yourself during that period and discouraging it than anything else. ALL puppies outgrow it eventually. It is a phase. Some puppies are "sharkier" than others.

I also DO wish people would stop calling it "biting", because this is NOT biting. Biting is a SERIOUS problem, and almost NEVER seen in young puppies. If you have a puppy that is TRULY biting, it is a matter to be dealt with with the help of a behaviorist. It is FAR beyond anything that should be handled with advice on an internet forum.

Arf! Arf!
ALL puppies outgrow it eventually. It is a phase.
To all you new puppy owners, puppies are wonderful - adorable, funny, entertaining, cute, etc. BUT puppies are extremely challenging requiring constant work, diligence, perseverance, and PATIENCE. Puppies DO go through phases of varying lengths - nipping, barking, potty training, chewing everything, shredding, waking at night, and it gets worse when they start blowing coat. You better have a sense of humor and enjoy the good times and work your way through the frustrating times. All you puppy owners prepare yourselves for working through 'blowing coat.' It can vary depending an individual dog's coat but be prepared for up to 6 months of a lot work and real frustration. After about 12 to 18 months, puppies will outgrow all these annoying puppy tendencies that vary from a few weeks to a few months and you will remember only the good things about those 'puppy days'. We have all been through it to one extent or another. We acquired a 9 m.o. Havanese 'puppy' and we still had to go through unbelievable challenges with potty training and blowing coat at the same time for over 4 months! Our neighbor got a Corgi puppy and had no issues with blowing coat but had to put up with nipping for over 8 months (they finally resorted to wearing leather work gloves when handling BLAZE).

Welcome to the Club, consider it an initiation rite. It will all be over too soon. (I don't even want to imagine what whelping a litter is like for 10 weeks!)

"I AM the Brute Squad"
Fezzik loves his Snuggle Puppy. He never has whined about going to bed. The silly little guy actually puts himself to bed around 9. 馃挅 I am so glad that the forum mentioned the advantages of the snuggle puppy.

Registered
Yes, once they understand that good things go along with the harness, most stop disliking it. But little puppies don鈥檛 have that association yet.

...and cones? There is NEVER anything good associated with a cone! :ROFLMAO:
We took Mando out onto our deck today after we put on his harness and fed him. He promptly forgot that it was on as soon as he saw all the new stuff to experience, including all the twigs that he kept trying to chew. We'll need to do a sweep of the deck before letting him out next time.

Metrowest, MA
Our neighbor got a Corgi puppy and had no issues with blowing coat but had to put up with nipping for over 8 months (they finally resorted to wearing leather work gloves when handling BLAZE).
Then the Corgi may have stopped nipping, but THEY get to deal with 鈥渃oat blowing鈥 (even if they don鈥檛 mat) for several months twice a year! LOL!

Welcome to the Club, consider it an initiation rite. It will all be over too soon. (I don't even want to imagine what whelping a litter is like for 10 weeks!)
The only reason ANY of them survive is that they are so darned cute! Otherwise, we鈥檇 all drown them all after the first night! LOL!

Registered
To all you new puppy owners, puppies are wonderful - adorable, funny, entertaining, cute, etc. BUT puppies are extremely challenging requiring constant work, diligence, perseverance, and PATIENCE. Puppies DO go through phases of varying lengths - nipping, barking, potty training, chewing everything, shredding, waking at night, and it gets worse when they start blowing coat. You better have a sense of humor and enjoy the good times and work your way through the frustrating times. All you puppy owners prepare yourselves for working through 'blowing coat.' It can vary depending an individual dog's coat but be prepared for up to 6 months of a lot work and real frustration. After about 12 to 18 months, puppies will outgrow all these annoying puppy tendencies that vary from a few weeks to a few months and you will remember only the good things about those 'puppy days'. We have all been through it to one extent or another. We acquired a 9 m.o. Havanese 'puppy' and we still had to go through unbelievable challenges with potty training and blowing coat at the same time for over 4 months! Our neighbor got a Corgi puppy and had no issues with blowing coat but had to put up with nipping for over 8 months (they finally resorted to wearing leather work gloves when handling BLAZE).

Sense of humor and just staying calm/rolling with the punches seems to be getting us through the early puppy challenges. Piper discovered her voice a couple days ago and is trying her hand (or paw? 馃槤) at some demand barking. Like for example barking because she wants to be let up on the couch or wants something she can't have like paper towels that are out of reach (you guys weren't kidding about the havanese paper obsession - her favorite thing in the world is a bit of paper towel!).

We've been ignoring her when she does it, like not looking at her or saying anything and certainly not giving in. When she demand barks she may as well be invisible. Luckily, as mischievous and rambunctious as these little hav puppies are, they are smart. Few days of ignoring undesirable behavior and rewarding preferred behavior and they seem to catch on.

Another blessing is how much they sleep! Great for recharging patience lol.

Metrowest, MA

Arf! Arf!
Ok Popi - but when, exactly, does this part stop?? 馃槙
For RICKY it stopped at about 3 years old, but that is only one data point. But sometimes (rarely) RICKY will find something innappropriate to chew on or shred when the mood strikes him. It's not an issue for us because it happens so rarely. Havanese will vary from dog to dog. There is no guarantee that any behavior will stop at an age certain.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts