Havanese Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Paper shredding? At death as far as I can see! LOL!
From ShamaPapa:

Shama loves kleenex and wrapping paper (Christmas is an especially favorite time for her!). Other than that she is not much of a shredder or destroyer. She has never torn apart any of her toys. She even still has her first toy (blue elephant "Ellie") that we got her when she was two-and-a-half weeks old (It was bigger than her at that time). ShamaMama probably posted a picture of that somewhere on the forum. Here it is.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Paper shredding? At death as far as I can see! LOL!
This is one thing that I've rarely/ never had to deal with :). Perry is not paper obsessed at all - he will chew on a paper sometimes (not always) if it's been down on the floor for an extended period of time, but he does not search it out at all. I can have papers or a box of tissues at nose level and he pays no attention to it, has never gotten into the bathroom garbage (with paper towels/ tissues in it) and has little interest in it. All unlike my last dog (a Dalmatian) who would sneak into the bathroom and shred the tissues in the trash any chance she could get!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
From ShamaPapa:

Shama loves kleenex and wrapping paper (Christmas is an especially favorite time for her!). Other than that she is not much of a shredder or destroyer. She has never torn apart any of her toys. She even still has her first toy (blue elephant "Ellie") that we got her when she was two-and-a-half weeks old (It was bigger than her at that time). ShamaMama probably posted a picture of that somewhere on the forum. Here it is.
Perry's the opposite - very little interest in shredding paper of any kind, but hell on wheels on his toys - he's been able to destroy the "extreme" and "chew guard" toys :)

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
This is one thing that I've rarely/ never had to deal with :). Perry is not paper obsessed at all - he will chew on a paper sometimes (not always) if it's been down on the floor for an extended period of time, but he does not search it out at all. I can have papers or a box of tissues at nose level and he pays no attention to it, has never gotten into the bathroom garbage (with paper towels/ tissues in it) and has little interest in it. All unlike my last dog (a Dalmatian) who would sneak into the bathroom and shred the tissues in the trash any chance she could get!
You are lucky!!! We have had to go to foot pedal trash cans in the entire house unless the trash is inside a cupboard, like in the kitchen. Snd if you put your napkin in your lap, like a CIVILIZED human being... “stealth Kodi” may snatch it without you even being aware that he got it! Forget about begging at the supper table... he goes right for the “good stuff”! The paper napkins! LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You are lucky!!! We have had to go to foot pedal trash cans in the entire house unless the trash is inside a cupboard, like in the kitchen. Snd if you put your napkin in your lap, like a CIVILIZED human being... “stealth Kodi” may snatch it without you even being aware that he got it! Forget about begging at the supper table... he goes right for the “good stuff”! The paper napkins! LOL!
In our house in Kampala we had bookshelves that went all the way to the ground (the cube type) and kept books there. The only minor (minuscule) paper incident we ever had was a tiny piece of a spiny (that must have been sticking out) - Perry did pull it off... but he didn't even eat it :) That's how I knew, I found the paper on the ground! :) I've had napkins fall off of my lap while we were eating with zero attempt to take it even from the floor... "Stealth Kodi" did make me laugh though!

Trust me - I know how lucky we are - I did have a tissue obsessed dog with my previous one!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
In our house in Kampala we had bookshelves that went all the way to the ground (the cube type) and kept books there. The only minor (minuscule) paper incident we ever had was a tiny piece of a spiny (that must have been sticking out) - Perry did pull it off... but he didn't even eat it :) That's how I knew, I found the paper on the ground!
Oh! When Kodi was a puppy, we had to put an ex-pen around our floor-to ceiling built-in bookcase in the family room, or we would have had to remove all the books on any shelf he could reach. He would peel the dust jackets off every book in the house. AND eat them! Fortunately, he gave up THAT habit!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos of Sunny- she’s gorgeous! :love: Now that we are planning to add a second, my puppy fever is at an all time high so keep them coming!

So funny to hear about all the little shredders! We are going to be in for it when we get a new puppy.... Ours has never showed any interest in paper products and still has every toy we’ve ever had, in perfect condition, even the one his breeder sent home with us almost 9 years ago! We will have to unlearn all our current habits for a pup!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I guess, I didn't latch the door all the way, since she busted out! Then she tried to get into the shower with me! First she would stick her head in, then her head would get wet, and she would back out. She tried about 5 times and each time she got wet, she ran around the bathroom like a crazy baby!! It was actually quite funny but was probably the fastest shower I had to take!!
Oh my gosh, the visual! That is hysterical! 🤣

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
Thanks for sharing the photos of Sunny- she’s gorgeous! :love: Now that we are planning to add a second, my puppy fever is at an all time high so keep them coming!

So funny to hear about all the little shredders! We are going to be in for it when we get a new puppy.... Ours has never showed any interest in paper products and still has every toy we’ve ever had, in perfect condition, even the one his breeder sent home with us almost 9 years ago! We will have to unlearn all our current habits for a pup!
Oh man! I was just thinking that I need to go though our toy box and throw out all the “headless” and partially shredded toys before “my” puppy becomes a permanent part of the family. While which ever one I keep is still with the litter, s/he will just be playing with the infant toys with the rest of them. But once the rest go home, and mine has access to the “household” toys, I have many that are OK for my adult dogs, but would be choke hazards for a chewing puppy!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have many that are OK for my adult dogs, but would be choke hazards for a chewing puppy!
That’s a great point, and not having owned a puppy before hadn’t really thought about it as yet! Just like there’s a difference for toys appropriate for children under 3 vs older children, for puppies, one would have to be careful in selecting toys appropriate for a puppy. Not to mention all the things around the house that “look” like toys to a puppy (possibly anything not bolted down, lol), thus the puppy-proofing and close supervision when outside the pen.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Oh man! I was just thinking that I need to go though our toy box and throw out all the “headless” and partially shredded toys before “my” puppy becomes a permanent part of the family. While which ever one I keep is still with the litter, s/he will jus be playing with the infant toys with the rest if them. But once the rest go home, and mine has access to the “household” toys, I have many that are OK for my adult dogs, but would be choke hazards for a chewing puppy!
I'm wondering where the fourth crate will go in your set-up?
💚💛🧡💜💙

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
That’s a great point, and not having owned a puppy before hadn’t really thought about it as yet! Just like there’s a difference for toys appropriate for children under 3 vs older children, for puppies, one would have to be careful in selecting toys appropriate for a puppy. Not to mention all the things around the house that “look” like toys to a puppy (possibly anything not bolted down, lol), thus the puppy-proofing and close supervision when outside the pen.
Yes, I was just at a friend’s house at lunch time snd found her puppy happily playing with the long frayed edge of a towel on the floor. The frayed edge was new, of course. We gave the towel a trim of all loose edges and retuned it to the puppy. You have to watch stuff like that all the time!

Reactions: LeleRF

·
Metrowest, MA
27,243 Posts
I'm wondering where the fourth crate will go in your set-up?
💚💛🧡💜💙
LOL! I was thinking about the same thing. I think that upstairs, the puppy’s crate will probably go on top of Kodi’s. That’s where Panda’s was before she became the “bed dog”. Down stairs, there really isn’t room for a 4th “eating crate”, and the purpose there is really just to separate them all during meals. For the first year or so, the puppy will be eating in her ex-pen. After that, I THINK I will transition Kodi to eating in the kitchen and have the other three eat in crates. I never shut Kodi’s crate anyway. There isn’t room in the dining room for a 4th crate along the same wall, so the 4th dog would need to be someplace completely separate anyway.

Reactions: ShamaMama

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Just an update that Sunny is doing better and better each day. I can leave the room for minutes on end and she won't cry as soon as I step out. She's great with her harness and leash, although we've only explored the backyard until she gets more vaccines. Potty training is going much better and she had one (almost 2) accident free days. Just wanted to share a few new pictures!

Sunny makes it hard to work with this much cuteness!

Sometimes just love watching her sleep!

Ready to explore the backyard!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts