Havanese Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Thank you everyone! To be honest, I've been exhausted the past couple of weeks but it's totally worth it since we make progress every day! Her separation anxiety is SO much better. She no longer tries to escape her ex-pen when I leave the room. Potty training is perfect in her ex-pen and in the early morning she's so good about doing her business and going back to her crate when mommy wants to sleep another hour or so. :) We're still working on potty training when she is in a more open area for play time but we are getting there.

So something happened while Sunny and I were on my back porch about a week ago. A neighbor's pit bull escaped their yard and came into mine (not aggressive, thank goodness, but I was nervous when I saw it because I didn't know the neighbors or this dog). The pit bull was curious about Sunny but I got him to go away by yelling (and with the help of a broom). :) I think I was more nervous than she was. When I brought Sunny in, she seemed to be shaking a little and was constantly trying to look out the window to see where the dog was. I held and carried her around, and gave her lots of treats. She seemed to trust me more after that day and was more affectionate since. Would that make sense?

Here's a couple more pics (going through my camera roll, I just realized I take a ton of pictures of her while she's sleeping). :unsure:

Her crate and bed are right behind her but apparently she finds this more comfortable?

With her snuggle puppy! Think she has a love/hate relationship because when she's awake she bites his nose and shakes it back and forth like a crazy baby! 馃ぃ

Metrowest, MA
It's a Havanese thing! LOL! And they start early!

Arf! Arf!
With her snuggle puppy! Think she has a love/hate relationship because when she's awake she bites his nose and shakes it back and forth like a crazy baby!
I think trying to kill their favorite stuffed, squeaky toy is pretty typical, at least for a Havanese. RICKY has his 'teddycow' since he was a month old (a gift to us from his breeder). Teddycow is a stuffed floppy squeaky about the size of a 4 month old Havapuppy. He sleeps with teddycow every night in his crate. Teddycow is his favorite toy and he still plays with it throughout the day. He will drag it our of his crate and take it someplace in the house and try to kill it. He will toss it up in the air and then shake it so hard I think he must scramble his brains! But he so loves his teddycow. This last weekend, RICKY's cousin doggie, JoJo, visited us. JoJo is a black-tri standard Aussie alpha-female. She weighs 60-70 lbs. and RICKY 15 lbs. They are best friends and personality-wise a good match. RICKY decided that he was going to tease JoJo with HIS teddycow. They got in a friendly tug of war game with teddycow who was stretched end to end! I thought teddycow was going to be a goner. What really surprised me is that RICKY had one end of teddy cow and flattened himself on the floor. When RICKY does that, it is like trying to pull a block of concrete! Try as she might, JoJo could not overpower him with her size and pulling power using all four legs. It was a draw, But teddycow survived to fight another day! I've seen RICKY destroy a new toy in 10 minutes, but teddycow is still with us after 7 years.

Metrowest, MA
I think trying to kill their favorite stuffed, squeaky toy is pretty typical, at least for a Havanese. RICKY has his 'teddycow' since he was a month old (a gift to us from his breeder). Teddycow is a stuffed floppy squeaky about the size of a 4 month old Havapuppy. He sleeps with teddycow every night in his crate. Teddycow is his favorite toy and he still plays with it throughout the day. He will drag it our of his crate and take it someplace in the house and try to kill it. He will toss it up in the air and then shake it so hard I think he must scramble his brains! But he so loves his teddycow. This last weekend, RICKY's cousin doggie, JoJo, visited us. JoJo is a black-tri standard Aussie alpha-female. She weighs 60-70 lbs. and RICKY 15 lbs. They are best friends and personality-wise a good match. RICKY decided that he was going to tease JoJo with HIS teddycow. They got in a friendly tug of war game with teddycow who was stretched end to end! I thought teddycow was going to be a goner. What really surprised me is that RICKY had one end of teddy cow and flattened himself on the floor. When RICKY does that, it is like trying to pull a block of concrete! Try as she might, JoJo could not overpower him with her size and pulling power using all four legs. It was a draw, But teddycow survived to fight another day! I've seen RICKY destroy a new toy in 10 minutes, but teddycow is still with us after 7 years.
Pixel still sleeps with her precious 鈥淧urple Monkey鈥 from her breeder every night. She is only allowed to have him in her crate, because she will actually cause fights with the other dogs over him. He has had fairly extensive 鈥減lastic surgery鈥 to his face because of the amount of 鈥渓ove鈥 he has had over the years.

Kodi is another story. He is a lot rougher on his toys. I actually took his toy from his breeder away when he was an adolescent, when it became apparent that he was going to destroy it. I鈥檓 just too sentimental about it. I have it in a closet.

He DOES, however, get a NEW stuffed animal for his birthday every year, that he beats up and loves to death. They DO last JUST about a year, though they are more skin than stuffing by the time of his next birthday. There is a new one sitting on the dining room table down stairs (along with his disgusting Petco stuffed cookies) for a special day later this week! ;)

Registered
Mando sleeps with the grey monkey that Pam and Tom gave him every night. He only gets it when he's in his crate at night. He's pretty rough with all his toys but is actually gentle with it. I'm not sure if it's because he's usually tuckered out by then and ready for bed but he'll hug/cuddle with it and not chew on it. His other favorite toy was Lambchop but he has decapitated....I mean loved...Lambchop to death and tried to eat the stuffing. We got Mando a Lambchop Jr. while the Lambchop Sr. undergoes "plastic surgery."
E40DFCAD-CA7C-43EA-BDC2-A7B2DC51DF14.jpeg

Metrowest, MA
I think it is so cute how attached so many of them are to the toys they come home with!

Registered
It鈥檚 so much fun hearing about all the dogs鈥 lovies, and how many still love the toy their breeder sent home! Charlie is extremely gentle with toys, but his 鈥榚lemouse鈥 from his breeder is absolutely his favorite. (One side is an elephant, the other a mouse... @Ricky Ricardo im wondering if 鈥楾eddycow鈥 is a similar mash up?!) These days it鈥檚 mostly used as a pillow鈥 he will dig in his toy box, pull it out, and then just lay on it, despite the fact that he also claims ownership over every real pillow in the house). Love the odd sleeping positions too- definitely seems to be a Hav thing!

Registered
This post needs to come with a cuteness alert override馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ
Agreed 100%! The puppy toys stories & pics have been such an enjoyable read. I鈥檇 dare say reading the forum is therapeutic and for sure a perfect way to start (or end) the day! I like to catch up as much as I can for about 30 mins before I start my workday over breakfast. Never fails to put a smile on my face. 馃槉

Arf! Arf!
@Ricky Ricardo im wondering if 鈥楾eddycow鈥 is a similar mash up?!)
Okay, here is a photo of the famous TEDDYCOW this morning. RICKY and Momi were playing keep away with teddycow. RICKY knows exactly where the squeaker is located in teddycow and he keeps biting him rapidly in that one spot and teddycow keeps screaming in pain! That dog is a masochist!

TeddyCow is filthy. I wash my hands after touching it 馃槤 Momi washed it once a few years ago. RICKY was not pleased 馃槨. He took teddycow into the back yard, dragged him through the dirt, pottied on him, and then took him inside into his crate for safe keeping. I think RICKY liked the smell better! 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Momi just told me there are clean socks on the counter for me to fold. I said, "Teach RICKY to fold them!" She ignored me!

20210428_090322.jpg

Metrowest, MA
Okay, here is a photo of the famous TEDDYCOW this morning. RICKY and Momi we playing keep away with teddycow.

TeddyCow is filthy. I wash my hands after touching it 馃槤 Momi washed it once a few years ago. RICKY was not pleased 馃槨. He took teddycow into the back yard, dragged him through the dirt, pottied on him, and then took him inside into his crate for safe keeping. I think RICKY liked the smell better! 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Momi just told me there are clean socks on the counter for me to fold. I said, "Teach RICKY to fold them!" She ignored me!
馃槩馃槩馃槩No pictures!!!馃槩馃槩馃槩

Metrowest, MA
Kodi and his practically-dead bunny. It's a good thing is birthday is only a couple of days away!!! LOL! (those white bits all over the rug are ""bunny guts" ;)

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I think it is so cute how attached so many of them are to the toys they come home with!
Sunny LOVES her koala bear that the Kings gave her. She is very gentle with it and sometimes used it as a pillow. It's in her bedtime kennel plastic crate so it's hard to get a pic but totally warms my heart when I see it. However, all the other toys she will try to bite the nose, tongue, ears, and tails off! I'm surprised these toys last that long. I do have to saw the Snuggle Puppy is pretty darn durable. I believe it was @morriscsps that mentioned Snuggle Puppy and how her little one goes right to bed with it. I do believe I went online 2 seconds after I saw that post and bought it! I don't even need to use the heart beat thing anymore!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Love all the posts with pictures - especially of the infamous TEDDYCOW. Too funny about the extensive "plastic surgery" we'll need to prepare for!!

Is it bad that I'm already thinking about getting another Havanese in the (far) future??? I think Sunny will need a playmate in a couple years. I should probably get on @Tom King's list now! :ROFLMAO:

Registered
I love these stuffed animal stories 馃槀. Piper always sleeps with the stuffed bear and little monkey the Kings sent home with her. Except our bedtime ritual is when i move the crate from the living room to bedroom at night, she darts inside the crate, grabs the tiny monkey, and runs into the hall with him then just lays down in the hall with the monkey in her mouth and looks up at me. I go "yeah, yeah you don't want to go to sleep, i get it" then we walk back to the crate and she goes in lol.

Metrowest, MA
Kodi is looking far too pleased with himself with dead bunny and bunny guts in the background馃槼are we suuuuuuure he isn鈥檛 part fox馃???馃榿馃槝
He is definitely SOME ind of predator! HE thinks maybe a HUGE PREHISTORIC WOLF!!! :ROFLMAO:

61 - 80 of 103 Posts