Havanese Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Sunny had her vet appointment yesterday and got the clean bill of health. The vet office is only doing curbside drop-off so I wasn't able to go into the office with her. However, I had a list of questions (thanks @Ricky Ricardo for replying to my other thread - they were part of the print out!) Poor thing did throw up only 4-5 minutes into the drive and we had another 15 mins to go so made a few stops. I never know if it makes sense to take highways (to get there faster) or side streets (nice and slow but longer in the car).

Sunny was so good when I handed her off to the vet tech who came to pick her up from my car. And she was in such a good mood when they returned her (they said they fed her cheese treats :). She actually fell asleep in her crate in the car on the way home so took advantage of that and was able to stop at the bank, get gas, etc. Things I couldn't do with her before without her crying or getting sick.

To reward her when we got back home, I gave her treats including a new bully stick. Man did she go to town on that like there was no tomorrow! She LOVED it. Curious - I decided to see what it was made out of -- "beef pizzle". I had no idea what pizzle was so Google'd it and was not expecting the results! Yes bully sticks are mostly made out of bull p-nis (can I type that word here???) I had no idea! Learn something new every day!! 馃ぃ

One last story - they gave me a plastic tube for Sunny's stool sample to take home because she didn't go in the morning. I decided since she was so good today, I would just take the stool sample and go with her to drop it off at the vet's after work. Well when she pooped, I took the whole thing and stuff it inside the tube. It wouldn't completely fit so I forced it down with the screw on cap. When I told my boyfriend this - he laughed and said they only need a small sample not a whole turd. Oops! We dropped off the stool sample (again curbside pick-up) and another vet tech came to pick it up. When the girl approached my car, Sunny barked like crazy. Not sure why she barks at some and not others. She's only done this to about 2-3 (one a friend of mine) and have no idea why!

As I type this, Sunny is still going to town on her p-nis stick. LOL

Arf! Arf!
Yes bully sticks are mostly made out of bull p-nis (can I type that word here???)
NO! That is not permitted here. You must go out and find a live bull and get his permission first! :ROFLMAO: I bet the reason she threw up is because you didn't get permission first! It's called the Bull's Revenge! 馃悅

Registered
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I'm so sorry @LeleRF!!! I guess these are one of these cases where ignorance is bliss. :ROFLMAO: Now, instead of picking up the bully sticks like I normally do, I use my thumb and index finger at the VERY tippy edge and wince while I do it, LOL!

Here's her on day 3 with this thing. She barely responds to her name now she is so preoccupied!! 馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
I'm so sorry @LeleRF!!! I guess these are one of these cases where ignorance is bliss. :ROFLMAO: Now, instead of picking up the bully sticks like I normally do, I use my thumb and index finger at the VERY tippy edge and wince while I do it, LOL!

Here's her on day 3 with this thing. She barely responds to her name now she is so preoccupied!! 馃ぃ馃ぃ
馃槅 I can鈥檛 say as I blame you even one little bit. 馃槤 I am sure I鈥檒l have an involuntary sniffing onions face when I see those in the stores for ever more.

Sunny is absolutely gorgeous and adorable & REALLY enjoying that stick whose-name-must-not be-mentioned!

Arf! Arf!
I guess these are one of these cases where ignorance is bliss. :ROFLMAO: Now, instead of picking up the bully sticks like I normally do, I use my thumb and index finger at the VERY tippy edge and wince while I do it, LOL!
I'm not even going to respond to that comment lest I get permanently banned on HF. But I will say you learn the darnedest things on HF (about na茂ve, innocent new owners)! 馃

Here's her on day 3 with this thing. She barely responds to her name now she is so preoccupied!!
RICKY loves Bully Sticks too, I think most (but not all) Havanese and dogs in general do too. When RICKY is eating a Bully Stick, his eyes are open but there is no one home behind them. Momi hates the smell of them, so I have to purchase the deodorized ones. RICKY prefers the odorific ones, the smellier the better, but he will settle for the ones I buy to keep harmony in the casa.

SERIOUS NOTE: Bully Sticks are high in calories, consequently they should NOT be used as a regular treat. RICKY gets to chew on one only once a week for about 30 minutes. He consumes about 5 inches during that time span and then I take it away (I purchase 12 inch sticks processed in the USA or sometimes other trusted country, the cheap ones from China have been known to have harmful chemicals). I take it away from him when there is 2" left and throw it away because he has been known to swallow whole that last two inches. That presents a very serious potential for choke hazard. Bully Sticks make dogs very thirsty. Be sure to have a large bowl of clean water nearby. Your dog will drink voluntarily when they get thirsty (which is a couple of times, one or two cups, for RICKY during one Bully Stick session). Bully Sticks are great when used appropriately.

Registered
I learned what bully sticks were made of on the Forum, too. I do the same finger pickup thing and always wash my hands afterwards.

Thank you for the info. @Ricky Ricardo. I think I need to limit Mando鈥檚 consumption of bully sticks more. I let him chew it every other day. He takes maybe an inch off each time and then heads straight for water.

Premium Member
From ShamaPapa:

Shama loves kleenex and wrapping paper (Christmas is an especially favorite time for her!). Other than that she is not much of a shredder or destroyer. She has never torn apart any of her toys. She even still has her first toy (blue elephant "Ellie") that we got her when she was two-and-a-half weeks old (It was bigger than her at that time). ShamaMama probably posted a picture of that somewhere on the forum. Here it is.
Love this cute video!

Arf! Arf!
I learned what bully sticks were made of on the Forum, too. I do the same finger pickup thing and always wash my hands afterwards.
There is nothing inherently "dirty" about a Bully Stick, a piece of raw chicken can have more germs on it than a Bully Stick. BUT it is always a very good idea to wash your hands frequently during this pandemic. We ALWAYS keep our Bully Sticks in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed plastic bag to avoid contamination from other human grade foods between uses..

Premium Member
I found out what bully sticks were made of after seeing Sundance happily chewing on the one sent with him by the breeder. After seeing how much he loved it, I got over it and it鈥檚 the only chew I buy regularly. Never would have bought one in a million years if I鈥檇 known! I don鈥檛 know the difference but I鈥檝e seen them called 鈥淧izzle sticks鈥 and I鈥檓 not a fan. 鈥淏ully stick鈥 makes it easier for me to forget what they鈥檙e made from!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
OMG, thanks for the laughs everyone this morning!! And thank you for reminding me of those important tips, @Ricky Ricardo

I just went to look up the reviews again on this bully sticks and thought you all might get a kick out of this one!

Great treats but beware of the size difference!
I love barkworthies so I bought 4. When I got these 2 were a good size but the other 2 were not even half the size of the other ones. I contacted chewy right away and they said that since these are natural, the sizing can be different but they will send out a replacement right away since the sizes were so different. Replacements were great and sent very quickly! If I had to give a note, it would be nice for chewy to make sure the sizes aren't too small compared to the other as it's a bit disappointing to see how tiny some of these treats are when you're paying for the same amount as the bigger sticks.

On that note, have a great weekend everyone! :D

Arf! Arf!
Barkworthies are good and expensive brand in my opinion. I have used them in the past. RICKY had his Bully Stick tonight for our familia TGIS fiesta, but this is weird, after reading the posts today, and this is weird, I found myself getting it with with my thumb and index finger at the tippy edge for the first time EWWWWWWW. Ricky stood on his his hind legs and grabbed out it of my hand, enough already! He took it to his day bed, and held it between his two forepaws and chomped away in happiness. I told him @lindam would not be happy with him and I would have to wash his paws afterwards! He gave that 'who's @lindam?' look. I told him he better be careful. He gave me the 'She never met RICKY RICARDO " look. 'She better be careful or I'll lick her to death with Bully Sitck breath!' @lindam , you have been challenged by a formidable doggie!

Registered
I remember what I realized they were made of too...and really wasn鈥檛 a fan of bully stick breath (switched to the deodorized ones fast!) but charlie kind of lost interest as he got older, which I can鈥檛 say I particularly minded 馃槉 I have seen these bully stick holders that are supposed to reduce choking hazard and mean you don鈥檛 have to touch it when it鈥檚 all slimy at the end of the chew session... if our next dog is into them I鈥檒l probably try one of those!

Registered
I found out what bully sticks were made of after seeing Sundance happily chewing on the one sent with him by the breeder. After seeing how much he loved it, I got over it and it鈥檚 the only chew I buy regularly. Never would have bought one in a million years if I鈥檇 known! I don鈥檛 know the difference but I鈥檝e seen them called 鈥淧izzle sticks鈥 and I鈥檓 not a fan. 鈥淏ully stick鈥 makes it easier for me to forget what they鈥檙e made from!
I think it was one of your comments in an old thread where I found out what a bully stick was! 馃榿

Registered

Thank you for the info. @Ricky Ricardo. I think I need to limit Mando鈥檚 consumption of bully sticks more. I let him chew it every other day. He takes maybe an inch off each time and then heads straight for water.
I am sure Perry would love one - but I will NOT be buying them. As a vegetarian I do still give him his meat-based food, but I draw the line at things like bully sticks :)

Premium Member
OMG, thanks for the laughs everyone this morning!! And thank you for reminding me of those important tips, @Ricky Ricardo

I just went to look up the reviews again on this bully sticks and thought you all might get a kick out of this one!

Great treats but beware of the size difference!
I love barkworthies so I bought 4. When I got these 2 were a good size but the other 2 were not even half the size of the other ones. I contacted chewy right away and they said that since these are natural, the sizing can be different but they will send out a replacement right away since the sizes were so different. Replacements were great and sent very quickly! If I had to give a note, it would be nice for chewy to make sure the sizes aren't too small compared to the other as it's a bit disappointing to see how tiny some of these treats are when you're paying for the same amount as the bigger sticks.

On that note, have a great weekend everyone! :D
Oh I can鈥檛 stop laughing... sending this one to anyone I can think of.

Premium Member
I can鈥檛 believe Ricky eats that much of a bully stick! I saw you mentioned that in another thread. Sundance eats one inch a week max! He hasn鈥檛 finished a bully stick since he was a puppy but I replace them because they look old before he鈥檚 done with them. I鈥檓 starting to wonder if something is wrong with his teeth...

At this age Sundance loves the gesture of being handed a bully stick but doesn鈥檛 chew for long. They were the absolute best when he was a puppy, for redirecting teething and settling him down after playtime. I had to order mine from a specialty store in a big bag because they didn鈥檛 have all natural odor free on Amazon at the time, but I noticed that they do now. The bag I have now must be more than a year old. I remember many people saying other brands caused staining or smelled because they had dye and additives.

Arf! Arf!
I can鈥檛 believe Ricky eats that much of a bully stick! I saw you mentioned that in another thread.
Remember the cartoons we saw as a kid, - someone furiously eating an ear of corn to the sound of a typewriter and when they get to the end of the cob the bell rings to manually push the return lever and start a new row? That's RICKY RICARDO eating a Bully Stick. He can totally destroy one in an hour, that's why he only gets one for 20 or 30 minutes a week. And I am not kidding when I say he will then drink one to two cups of water to wash it all down. I don't know where he puts it all! He is not fat one bit, but he gets lots of exercise too. It is a miracle how his TeddyBear has lasted all these years with his aggressive chew instinct.

It is best to trash any Bully Stick after a couple of months to avoid any mold and bacteria build up.

Premium Member
According to my keychain/password/whatever its called on my phone, it looks like I last purchased bully sticks on 5/8/20 but they updated their website and I have to register as a new user so I have no idea what quantity I bought. It looks like the price has gone up. It was at least 12-15 in a bag, I actually could have sworn it was more like twice that but I never would have spent $100 on a bag of bully sticks! Seems like we go through half of one a month.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts