Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ohhh my poor Jasper. I was just trying to even out behind his ears after he was groomed (they had to shave off a matt right behind his ear) and one snip lead to another--- and before I knew it he looked like he had been in a cat fight. SO back to the groomers we go (tail between MY legs) and they had to take his coat down to an inch. And he was just beginning to look like a full coated adult Hav. back to the puppy cut...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Oh. I know how you feel. I cannot use the scissors anymore. I wasn't allowed after an incident. I actually cut the hair on my old dog and accidently cut her. I had to take her to the vet for stitches. Did I feel horrible..... I thought the vet was going to take her away from me for being a bad Mom but from all my tears she knew I was very upset.

So now you know why my human guys won't let me cut their hair.

Good thing about hair is it grows back. You live and learn.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I think Jasper looks handsome. Kodi had to be shaved down in June and I am letting it grow a little longer. I trim his feet and around his eyes and he is really pretty good about me grooming him. However, Shelby, the ew puppy, is a little monster. She growls and won't sit still, so we are taking it slow with her.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Oh no! Very true hair grows back. Reminds me when I cut my own bangs once, one cut led to another and then MY OH MY.

My hairdresser has a sign on her station saying she cuts bangs for free, PLEASE dont attempt yourself. NOT that it relates to dogs, but same scenario.

Im sure he is cute as ever. My Goldie is pretty short now also, she had a mat or two.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
I can relate, I am so bad with the scissors that I wouldn't consider trimming anyone (my kids or my pets). But, my 13 year old daugher is an old pro with the scissors. She is so good with them that she will not allow any hairdresser to touch her bangs (not in the last few years). She trims Bugsy around the eyes and feet. She just has a real light touch.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take away my scissors AGAIN!!!!!

Yesterday, I had the boys groomed, a little shorter because of summer. They came home looking absolutely adorable. But Jasper's jowls were a bit to long along with his ears... Only I can do their faces to my liking. So I finish Jasper and he looks just how I want him.

And then I decide I need to do a bit on Cash too-- He as really thick ears so I like to thing the underside a little-- all that goes well--- and then I decided I am going to sculpt his little front legs up by the armpits a little to make them look longer... This goes perfectly. But then I think I can trim his belly fur a little to make him look even taller... well Cash wouldn't roll over so I am doing this as he stands. OMG- when I roll him over he has spots on him that look like a shaved spots--- Oh I am just waiting for DH to yell at me-- when he rolls over for a belly rub-- and he sees it. Quick how do I teach Cash not sleep on his back for a few weeks?

·
Lincoln and Scout's Mom
3,650 Posts
Ahh, how about some black makeup to put on the skin to hide the "holes"?

Or, isn't it time for Cash to start wearing some clothing? :biggrin1:

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great ideas. What do you think Jane--A little t-shirt to show off his manly pects? Do they lie in their bellies on the cool mats Kimberly? I think I am safe until tonight... maybe I will just have to keep him playing until we go to bed-- and then put him right in the crate-- no bed time-- hmmm, I may have to fake a headache. Cash looks really great from the side though!!!

·
Lincoln and Scout's Mom
3,650 Posts
Definitely something manly for Cash!

And, hair tonic to help his belly hair to grow back quickly!!

Maybe you can hold Cash in your arms everytime DH is around! :biggrin1:

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Do they lie in their bellies on the cool mats Kimberly?
Yes. Granted some Havs just like to lay on their back no matter what, but when they are warm, they will lay belly up more. When you get a cool mat of some sort, they tend to put their bellies directly on it if they are warm instead of their back.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Oh Missy! Your DH is smarter than that! I have the perfect solution :D shave the rest of his belly! I actually have Coopers belly shaved right now for the summer. You can't see it at all from the sides, it helps them stay cool, and keeps them from getting those awful arm pit mats!

Do I win a puppy? :first:

Beverly

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Missy,

That's hysterical. As everyone said, it's just the underbelly. Does your husband by any chance wear glasses? If he does just hide them for a few weeks. :pound: If not, turn the lights down low. He'll think he's in for a romantic evening. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Missy, it's time to get some t-shirts for Cash and make sure they are long enough to cover his belly.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Missy, I'm very disappointed that there are no pictures of the boys new looks. :) I agree with shaving the rest of his belly, then blame it on the groomer. ;)

·
Estrella
1,076 Posts
Oh Missy...If I were near you I would snatch those scissors from you! The boys will be ok and I totally feel you on the over trimming! I like Geri's idea about the "romantic evening". Your DH wont notice a thing!

·
Pablo&Chuy's momma
4,286 Posts
Wow, you ladies are great with ideas! I'm for a combo of the dimmed light&shaving the belly with Debbie's ingenious addition: blame it on the groomer!

Amanda, I know you have a twisted way of reading my posts, so here's edited to say:
I mean Missy should shave her dog's belly not she and her DH shave each others bellies with the lights dimmed. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts