Havanese Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
How much time off work did you take when you brought your puppy home?
Do you both work full time? What are your palns when you go back to work?

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yes, we both work full time. My husband works from home actually, so he won't be taking time off. He'll just take some time throughout his work days to be with the pup. We'll put an ex pen and crate in or at least right near my husband's office.

I'm a teacher with personal days I could use, but I don't want to use too many at once. It's so hard taking time off in my field. Plus, I have a week's vacation coming up a few weeks after the puppy comes home.

My husband might ask our pet sitter to stop by for a few play sessions to introduce the puppy to her. I'm curious how others handled getting their puppy and juggling work or taking time off.

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
Yes, we both work full time. My husband works from home actually, so he won't be taking time off. He'll just take some time throughout his work days to be with the pup. We'll put an ex pen and crate in or at least right near my husband's office.

I'm a teacher with personal days I could use, but I don't want to use too many at once. It's so hard taking time off in my field. Plus, I have a week's vacation coming up a few weeks after the puppy comes home.

My husband might ask our pet sitter to stop by for a few play sessions to introduce the puppy to her. I'm curious how others handled getting their puppy and juggling work or taking time off.
If your husband works from home, as tempting as it might be to take time off, I might be inclined to keep tour regular schedule right from the start, and get your puppy used to it. He is already going to have a big transition, why have him make TWO transitions in short order? I think the idea of having your puppy sitter come in occasionally while your husband is home, to get acquainted is a WONDERFUL idea!!!

Puppies sleep a lot, so your husband should have good long work periods in between periods when the puppy needs some activity and attention. please read this:

Because it will be VERY important for you to teach your puppy to settle and handle “alone” time in your husband’s presence as long as he has proper enrichment times at appropriate times too!

But for YOU, save your precious days off for when it makes the most sense for the three of you to spend them together having fun, whenever that works best!

· Registered
1,137 Posts

Having the pet sitter come over is a great idea!

When we brought our first Hav home 10 years ago, we were both working outside the house with some flexibility. so we took some time off at the start, and then transitioned to a pet sitter once or twice a day for short visits while we were at work.

When we brought home our second Hav a little over a year ago, we thought it would be so easy because we both work from home. We did what you described for the first couple weeks—- we’d schedule our time to make sure we had play & potty times scheduled throughout the day, and puppy would nap the rest of the time. After a few weeks we were exhausted with making this work, amidst heavy work meeting schedules and after work socialization outings. We hasn't realized that being with a puppy 24/7 can be really training, because before, we were getting breaks while at work!

So we got in touch with an awesome walker who used to walk Charlie, and she started taking her on socialization outings several times a week. It was a good break for us, and a good way to do as much socialization as possible during that first critical 16 weeks. When she was a little older, we transitioned her to small dog group hikes/beach walks with the same person, and she is Jo's favorite person in the whole world. all that is to say yes, have the sitter start coming early— it will be a huge help!

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If your husband works from home, as tempting as it might be to take time off, I might be inclined to keep tour regular schedule right from the start, and get your puppy used to it. He is already going to have a big transition, why have him make TWO transitions in short order? I think the idea of having your puppy sitter come in occasionally while your husband is home, to get acquainted is a WONDERFUL idea!!!

Puppies sleep a lot, so your husband should have good long work periods in between periods when the puppy needs some activity and attention. please read this:

Because it will be VERY important for you to teach your puppy to settle and handle “alone” time in your husband’s presence as long as he has proper enrichment times at appropriate times too!

But for YOU, save your precious days off for when it makes the most sense for the three of you to spend them together having fun, whenever that works best!
Thank you, Karen. I hadn't thought of it like that. I just assumed it would be a good idea to take day or two off once we pick up the puppy from the airport. Hmmm, maybe I will save my days after all. Thanks for the link. I saw it earlier in another thread but haven't read the article yet.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having the pet sitter come over is a great idea!

When we brought our first Hav home 10 years ago, we were both working outside the house with some flexibility. so we took some time off at the start, and then transitioned to a pet sitter once or twice a day for short visits while we were at work.

When we brought home our second Hav a little over a year ago, we thought it would be so easy because we both work from home. We did what you described for the first couple weeks—- we’d schedule our time to make sure we had play & potty times scheduled throughout the day, and puppy would nap the rest of the time. After a few weeks we were exhausted with making this work, amidst heavy work meeting schedules and after work socialization outings. We hasn't realized that being with a puppy 24/7 can be really training, because before, we were getting breaks while at work!

So we got in touch with an awesome walker who used to walk Charlie, and she started taking her on socialization outings several times a week. It was a good break for us, and a good way to do as much socialization as possible during that first critical 16 weeks. When she was a little older, we transitioned her to small dog group hikes/beach walks with the same person, and she is Jo's favorite person in the whole world. all that is to say yes, have the sitter start coming early— it will be a huge help!
We have a pet sitter who we use when we go away occasionally but for regular dog walking during the work week, we might contact another pet sitter. I'm glad Jo loves your pet sitter!

· Metrowest, MA
32,695 Posts
Thank you, Karen. I hadn't thought of it like that. I just assumed it would be a good idea to take day or two off once we pick up the puppy from the airport. Hmmm, maybe I will save my days after all. Thanks for the link. I saw it earlier in another thread but haven't read the article yet.

Whatever you do, enjoy your puppy! Maybe you NEED to take a day off, to enjoy that precious "first day", but don't feel like the PUPPY needs it. I think your hubby will do fine with him! 💗

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whatever you do, enjoy your puppy! Maybe you NEED to take a day off, to enjoy that precious "first day", but don't feel like the PUPPY needs it. I think your hubby will do fine with him! 💗
I'm so excited I can't stand it. 😂 I keep refreshing my news feed to see if our breeder posted new pictures or videos on her Facebook page. I keep wondering which puppy we'll get: a black and tan, a black and white, or a red sable. Time will tell!

· Registered
107 Posts
How much time off work did you take when you brought your puppy home?
I work from home full-time and wish I had taken more time off during the first few weeks. I believe I took a week off but 3 of those days were traveling to pick her up. There was a lot of whining and crying the first week as she got used to her set-up and crate/x-pen which she did not like (understandable since this was a new environment for her). So if your husband is on any conference calls, keep that in mind. If I had to do it again, I would take a full week off, and then the 2nd week probably take a couple days or half days off. Also have your husband be prepared to introduce the new puppy to his coworkers on camera because they will wonder what's all that noise is in the background. 😀 Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts