Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I just joined the forum and am thrilled to have other havanese owners to speak with.
I have a 5 1/2 month old male puppy. We just love him!
I am wondering if anyone else has had signifiant tear stains erupt on their puppy?
It stains his eyes and is quite unsightly- there are also stains under his chin. Help! How do you get rid of this ailment? I have done some research and have found lots of topical stuff to try and make it lighter-so far nothing works. two products that works from the inside- One that is wheat free and dye free is called Angels Eyes. Anyone hear about this? Any suggestions?
Vet is no help.
Thanks.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Hi, jasper had bad eye staining as a puppy but seems to have grown out of it.
I found eye clense pads to work pretty well (drsfosterandsmith.com) I use it on his beard too-- it doesn't get rid of it but keeps it bacteria free. I tried a drop of white vinegar in his water when he was young--- but mostly we just clip around his eyes. I didn't like the idea (nor did my vet) of angel eyes as it has some antibiotic in it and could interfere if your boy needs treatment. be patient it does get better--- try using filtered water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problems with Charlie. I have yet to find a cure but I clean under his eyes every night with a clean washcloth, water, and tearless puppy shampoo. I also put eyewash drops. The drops are suposed to flush out any foreign objects. It helps. There isnt much I do for the beard staining. I agree that its the food and once I changed food it wasnt as severe. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I do not know if you take your Dog to a good groomer . Usually they know all the secrets .
I have a wonderful groomer and I will ask her the next time I see her .
I have heard the same things about the water and diet .
I also have a friend who has a white Havanese and I will ask her what she did for the problem .
I will be in touch

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone heard of using hydrogen peroxide 3%, milk of magnesia, and corn starch? I just found this on the internet somewhere. I'm curious if it could be dangerous at all and if it works.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I think it is just the dog. Kodi is almost white but he doesn't get tear staining. However, when I first saw pics of Shelby, I thought her face was brown, white and black. The vet wrote on the papers that it was tear staining. Since she has been bathed and I have trimmed some of this hair away from her eyes, it is not as noticeable. Her eyes tear alot more than Kodi's.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would not use the peroxide- Peroxide is a bleach and even if it lightens the area, it does not get tothe root cause .

I have a good groomer, not much new info. Breeder said she does not know of anything - just stop obsessing (?) about it. Vet said just wah it with warm water. All food has something in it unless one makes their own food.
And I have searched all over.
I have, however , decided to try the Angels Eyes product and have seen a significant change in the amount of tearing. We have done one haircut since then, and have cut off some of the old very stained black areas. My pup is looking significantly better and it is only 3 weeks. Yes, the stuff is bitter to the tongue- I did taste it as someone suggested. I mush a couple of liver treats and mix it together and after the first refusal, my puppy has decided he likes it and eats it every night. I will keep you posted!
Lynn

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
My Lily had tear stains as a pup, until she turned about 1 1/2 years old. Then it stopped completely. It was nice, But..... She has started up again! Not sure if it is the fact that every so often I give her a piece of puppy treat that the baby is on but that is the only thing that has changed since it started. I use the little treats from Nutro that look like a little pork or lamb chop. I am going to stop using them to see what happens.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi gang. My breeder recommended this link on her website. It talks about tear staining and cures. It is from a Maltese breeder but I am sure it is just the same.

You have to page down for the cures. Very interesting. It mentioned the white vinegar in drinking water that someone on our forum already recommended. :)
http://www.bhejei.com/tearsta.htm

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Thanks Rita, that is helpful to know. Oreo does get the reddish brown type of staining and I bought the diamond eye product and it has been working. It leaves the white areas really white :) But recently I have been taking Bio-k personally and I figured what the heck, and I let him lick out the empty bottle every other day ( I drink 1/2 bottle per day)... OMG it IS helping. I guess yeast is yeast, whether in humans or dogs and its helping the staining. For me personally, things like vinegar, bio-k or natural things are preferred. Only if I really need to will I resort to things like diamond eye products etc.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
Hi Lauri,
If you find the treats make a difference, could you let me know? Maybe even send me a PM so I don't miss it? I use different Nutro Ultra and Max foods and also the treats, and both my Bichon and Hav have dark staining.
Thanks!
Beverly

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have just subscribed to a book by Jan Rasmussen .
She has 2 Maltese and she alludes that the staining is due to diet and additives and preservatives in the dog food .
Just an FYI
The name of her book is called Scared Poopless . I am not promoting the book in any way . I am just sharing information . A lot of it makes sense to me especially her opinion on vaccines especially the rabies vaccine ..
I learned a lot the hard way with health issues with my German Shorthair . It was not fun for him or for me

·
Registered
196 Posts
Eye Stain during the change of teeth is quite normal and nothing to worry about.
It´s also small wonder during and short before the heat.

After reading this thread carefully, I decided not to take angeleye because of the antibiotical content. But I will try the other suggestions.

Mother and father of Audrey Rose have no eye stain , so I think it will be temporary.I will tell you.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
it might also be the food, i know when i switched his food to wellness, the goop slowed down tremendously. i also use angel eyes which helps tremendously. the other thing i use which was recommended by my breeder who is all natural, was Pawier. it's a liquid vitamin that's put on food or inwater. the vitamins help slow down and eventually stop the runny eyes which causes the staining. i have used it for 1 month now and see a tremendous change. i put it right in his water and use half of what they recommend. i find my breeder to be a great source of information. the pawier is a little expensive but when you get down to the cost per day, it's not that much. i expect my bottle to last months. my friend used the peroxide and it worked only for a while. i also use first aid small gauze squares to clean his eyes in themorning. i think it's just something that you have to do on a daily and regular basis to keep their pretty faces clean. it's part of having a wonderful havanese!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hmm, I think they get best food which is available on the European market. The others don´t have any problems with eye stain. We clean daily with Jean Peaux Eyewater. (no change at all).
I´ll give her this Eye Solution (which I´ve bought in America), brush her teeth afterwards, because of the malt syrup and look what happened. In addition I try the lemon-tip and I let her hair grow. I made the mistake after show to cut her hair in the face. Maybe that´s another reason , because it´s coming into the eyes.
Our part-time Maltese (we take care of him from 9 am. till 5 pm. Monday to Friday) Sammy had those problems when he was a puppy. It stops completely. Maybe it´s really only because of the teeth.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Hi, jasper had bad eye staining as a puppy but seems to have grown out of it.
I found eye clense pads to work pretty well (drsfosterandsmith.com) I use it on his beard too-- it doesn't get rid of it but keeps it bacteria free. I tried a drop of white vinegar in his water when he was young--- but mostly we just clip around his eyes. I didn't like the idea (nor did my vet) of angel eyes as it has some antibiotic in it and could interfere if your boy needs treatment. be patient it does get better--- try using filtered water.
I just saw Angel Eyes at our local pet store. I have been wondering about it because of the antibiotic. Oliver doesn't need it (yet) but my neighbor swears by it for her maltese. She has given it to him daily for over a year. Afraid to stop?????
Has anyone tried it?

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Milo has a continuous problem with tear staining. I don't want to give him antibiotics unnecessarily so I'll try something else first. I hate it though and it must drive him crazy. I did notice after his grooming it's been a little better, but just a little.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts