Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah, yeah... They are glorified mutts but we are allergic to dogs. My hubby ADORES Fezzik but Fezzik is velcroed to me. We loved having Aussies and Border Collies in the past but gak... the hair and dander killed us.

Then I saw an Aussiedoodle and a Bordedoodle. Hmm... interesting but how do you find a breeder for a non AKC type dog. I am sure that a lot of the same rules apply but there doesn't seem be much regulation or groups about them.

Of course we know that we are crazy for looking a cross of two uber smart breeds.

Any thoughts?

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,226 Posts
With a cross breed, how do you know you will truly wind up with the traits of the breed you are looking for? There is a breeder of miniature golden doodles in another group I belong to who seems like a great breeder. Goldendoodles of Narnia is her website I believe. So you don't want another Havanese?

·
Registered
746 Posts
There are 4 in my hood. All wild beasts that did not become any tamer after multiple training attempts. Apparently the grooming costs for these wild animals is $130 to $150!!
I am not a fan.

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
So there is a Goldendoodle Association of North America (GANA) that is a group of breeders trying to conduct health tests on their breeding dogs. Not advocating or otherwise and unsure if any of the other doodle mixes are doing anything similar. Many of the breeders charge a lot for their mixes and apparently folks are paying the asking price do they appeal to some.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
There is absolutely NO guarantee that a Doodle will be lo allergy. Just so you understand that. This is ESPECIALLY true of these newer crosses. If you want to see who is doing what testing, take a look on Good Dog. The breeders there at least post what kinds of testing they do. I'm not a big Doodle fan, but i do know that some of the breeders are very conscientious about health testing. I would be VERY careful to work with one of those if I were thinking of going in that direction.

And honestly, I'd stick to the older, tried and true labradoodle or golden doodle breeders. Those breeders have been doing it a lot longer, the crosses are much better understood, the TEMPERAMENTS make more sense for pet dogs, and they come in all sizes and colors except for merle. (which is what the Aussie Doodles brought in, and has its OWN set of health problems with it)

Reactions: EvaE1izabeth

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know... I know... I think we just want a hypoallergenic Border Collie/Aussie. We miss our old B.C/Aussies.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I know... I know... I think we just want a hypoallergenic Border Collie/Aussie. We miss our old B.C/Aussies.
If you love the Aussie temperament, you might be happier with one of those crosses… the problem I’ve seen is that most people somehow thing you’re going to cross two high-energy, high-drive breeds, and get an apartment dog! Because there has been such a proliferation of opportunistic doodle breeders who are not doing it ethically, is a trend on social media (TikTok especially) of people listing dogs that are naturally no/low shed and aren’t crosses. Many of the ‘older’ doodle breeds are pretty much poodles at this point, because they keep breeding poodle back into the mix to improve the coat. So a lot of times people just suggest poodles and I am seeing a LOT more poodles around… but If you love the herding breeds, maybe considering one of these for a more predictable temperament and coat? 7 Herding Breeds That Won't Make You Sneeze, Low-Shedding - The Guild of Shepherds & Collies

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
If you love the Aussie temperament, you might be happier with one of those crosses… the problem I’ve seen is that most people somehow thing you’re going to cross two high-energy, high-drive breeds, and get an apartment dog! Because there has been such a proliferation of opportunistic doodle breeders who are not doing it ethically, is a trend on social media (TikTok especially) of people listing dogs that are naturally no/low shed and aren’t crosses. Many of the ‘older’ doodle breeds are pretty much poodles at this point, because they keep breeding poodle back into the mix to improve the coat. So a lot of times people just suggest poodles and I am seeing a LOT more poodles around… but If you love the herding breeds, maybe considering one of these for a more predictable temperament and coat? 7 Herding Breeds That Won't Make You Sneeze, Low-Shedding - The Guild of Shepherds & Collies
True. I absolutely ADORE the Pumik I’ve met. They make OUTSTANDING agility dogs… and they are to die for cute!!! I would consider them if I were going to “jump breeds”.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Are you really not interested in a standard poodle? It’s the only larger hypoallergenic/non shedding breed dog I have spent time around other than doodles. Obviously not the same personality as your previous dogs but it seems like poodles mesh with a wide variety of human personalities, and I don’t think they’re bred with other dogs only because of their coats. I believe there are some good doodle breeders out there I just think they are hard to find, solely because of the number of breeders. Like you mentioned, it’s hard to even know where to start. There are more doodles in our neighborhood than all of the other dogs breeds combined.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Are you really not interested in a standard poodle? It’s the only larger hypoallergenic/non shedding breed dog I have spent time around other than doodles. Obviously not the same personality as your previous dogs but it seems like poodles mesh with a wide variety of human personalities, and I don’t think they’re bred with other dogs only because of their coats. I believe there are some good doodle breeders out there I just think they are hard to find, solely because of the number of breeders. Like you mentioned, it’s hard to even know where to start. There are more doodles in our neighborhood than all of the other dogs breeds combined.
Agree on the numbers… I would say at least 75% of dogs around here that were bought from a breeder (rather than adopted from a rescue) are doodles. Bernedoodles and Cavapoos are the latest fads around here. I agree that standard poodles are LOVELY dogs… I grew up with one, and he was amazing. Super smart, loving, athletic, and very low key (except about tennis balls,,, he was obsessed with tennis balls so we had to ban them from the house!) My mom had a large mini who died a year and a half ago who was also a wonderful dog. They can definitely be prone to being high strung, so I do think a good breeder (as always!) is important. While I am sure there are some good doodle breeders out there, my concern is always that I’ve heard that ethical poodle breeders will almost never sell to anyone planning to do crosses (unless there’s a very specific reasons- like hypoallergenic guide dogs for the blind), so it just makes me wonder where their breeding stock is coming from, even if they are doing all of the health testing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My sister and her husband have always had Aussies and while they love them, she's said that in the future she would love to find a breed that doesn't shed as much... and a little lower energy. Two other family members have doodles (2 golden doodles and one bernadoodle that is still under a year old). I've heard lots of great feedback about the goldens... the bern has been a bit of a handful so far but he's still young. I will say that I have a groomer friend that isn't fond of doodles in general because they are such a fad dog and people don't realize how much maintenance they require... then clients get upset with her because she tells them that their dog needs to be shaved down because they're matted and she won't torture the dog with hours of combing matts out. It happens over and over again and she finally stopped taking any new large dogs as clients because they were all matted doodles. They can be good dogs just like any other if they are bred for temperment, health, raised and trained correctly, etc... There are also other breeds that don't shed that are larger than a Havanese... maybe research a Tibetan Terrier or soft coated Wheaten?? When we got our first Havanese last year, she bonded with my husband which was perfect because that's what we wanted. But I fell pretty hard for her and got a little jealous so we added a little boy Havanese a couple of months ago and he's my Mama's boy. In this household, we've always had mama's boys and daddy's girls when it comes to dogs.

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think I have ever meet a Pumi or Puli. Those are pretty rare breeds. Bouviers and Briards were cruising around Paris when we went on vacation. They are a lot of dog! Also they are more to the protective guarding herders. Not quite my thing.

There are lots and lots of golden doodles and labradoodles in the classes we have taken. They are so sweet and loveable but, man, are they goofballs! Just a bunch of wiggly curls. LOL

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
My sister and her husband have always had Aussies and while they love them, she's said that in the future she would love to find a breed that doesn't shed as much... and a little lower energy. Two other family members have doodles (2 golden doodles and one bernadoodle that is still under a year old). I've heard lots of great feedback about the goldens... the bern has been a bit of a handful so far but he's still young. I will say that I have a groomer friend that isn't fond of doodles in general because they are such a fad dog and people don't realize how much maintenance they require... then clients get upset with her because she tells them that their dog needs to be shaved down because they're matted and she won't torture the dog with hours of combing matts out. It happens over and over again and she finally stopped taking any new large dogs as clients because they were all matted doodles. They can be good dogs just like any other if they are bred for temperment, health, raised and trained correctly, etc... There are also other breeds that don't shed that are larger than a Havanese... maybe research a Tibetan Terrier or soft coated Wheaten?? When we got our first Havanese last year, she bonded with my husband which was perfect because that's what we wanted. But I fell pretty hard for her and got a little jealous so we added a little boy Havanese a couple of months ago and he's my Mama's boy. In this household, we've always had mama's boys and daddy's girls when it comes to dogs.
Wheatens have a LOT of health and temperament problems, so shop carefully. A nice one us great.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I don't think I have ever meet a Pumi or Puli. Those are pretty rare breeds. Bouviers and Briards were cruising around Paris when we went on vacation. They are a lot of dog! Also they are more to the protective guarding herders. Not quite my thing.

There are lots and lots of golden doodles and labradoodles in the classes we have taken. They are so sweet and loveable but, man, are they goofballs! Just a bunch of wiggly curls. LOL
Alice Lawrence (Fuzzy Farm) is a long-time Puli breeder right here in NE, and also breeds Havanese. I’m sure she would talk to you. I don’t know any Pumi breeders personally.

·
Registered
808 Posts
i have never met a Puli, but they are such cool looking dogs. I have met a couple of Briards, one of which looked like a gigantic version of Charlie!

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alice Lawrence (Fuzzy Farm) is a long-time Puli breeder right here in NE, and also breeds Havanese. I’m sure she would talk to you. I don’t know any Pumi breeders personally.
Holy moly! She is a Westminster competitor breeder who has won stuff. I can't pester her just because my hubby wanted his own goofy dog to take to agility class with me. LOL... too intimidating. Nope, nope, nope.

·
Sophie
1,041 Posts
If looking for a more allergy friendly herding breed, I would suggest looking the Bearded Collie route or looking into the breed I think is the dog world's best kept secret, the Schapendoes. Puli and Pumi can be very sharp, very sensitive dogs (moreso than the average herding breed, in my experience) and thus the breeds struggle with temperament as that often goes too far. Beardies and Schaps tend to lean a bit more similar to Havanese in their goofiness and friendliness, but still have the herding breed tendencies that make Border Collies so wonderful (I often call my Beardie students "Border Collies that dropped out of their doctorate program to pursue their true calling in clown college" 😉)

I eventually plan to go the Schapendoes route. They're pretty rare (a friend of mine had the first litter in the US in 10 years a few years back), but there are at least 3 breeders stateside currently, and due to the breed's unknown status, most don't have super deep waitlists and want to get their dogs in the hands of people that will do stuff with them.

Reactions: LWalks

·
Tucker 2007-2020
6,394 Posts
I eventually plan to go the Schapendoes route. They're pretty rare (a friend of mine had the first litter in the US in 10 years a few years back), but there are at least 3 breeders stateside currently, and due to the breed's unknown status, most don't have super deep waitlists and want to get their dogs in the hands of people that will do stuff with them.
I've not heard of this breed and it was fun to read about them, thanks for sharing. I love their looks!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Holy moly! She is a Westminster competitor breeder who has won stuff. I can't pester her just because my hubby wanted his own goofy dog to take to agility class with me. LOL... too intimidating. Nope, nope, nope.
She is a perfectly nice person. Even for Alice, not EVERY dog turns out to be a show prospect… ;) And if she doesn’t have a puppy for tou, she might know who would…

Reactions: Melissa Brill
1 - 20 of 33 Posts