Havanese Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
If looking for a more allergy friendly herding breed, I would suggest looking the Bearded Collie route or looking into the breed I think is the dog world's best kept secret, the Schapendoes. Puli and Pumi can be very sharp, very sensitive dogs (moreso than the average herding breed, in my experience) and thus the breeds struggle with temperament as that often goes too far. Beardies and Schaps tend to lean a bit more similar to Havanese in their goofiness and friendliness, but still have the herding breed tendencies that make Border Collies so wonderful (I often call my Beardie students "Border Collies that dropped out of their doctorate program to pursue their true calling in clown college" 😉)

I eventually plan to go the Schapendoes route. They're pretty rare (a friend of mine had the first litter in the US in 10 years a few years back), but there are at least 3 breeders stateside currently, and due to the breed's unknown status, most don't have super deep waitlists and want to get their dogs in the hands of people that will do stuff with them.
A year or two ago I ran into what I thought was an English sheepdog in a store. I was blown away by its temperament, surrounded by little kids who wanted to touch its long coat, as it basically lounged with its owner in the checkout line, relaxed but still friendly and quietly responsive to the children. It was stunningly beautiful, and it reminded me of a giant shaggy Sundance (although more calm), so it stuck with me. At some point later I realized it couldn’t be an English sheepdog because of its coloring, which was brown and white. I’m pretty sure it’s a bearded collie, and it’s what I picture when I imagine my dream large breed dog. If I want a change in 10-15 years (after I’ve had at least one more Havanese) I really might go for it, if our allergies can handle it. I’m curious how people with allergies do with them. It seems like people with less severe allergies were sometimes able to live with dogs before the popularity of hypoallergenic breeds, but it was more work. DS also has mobility issues and Sundance’s size is almost too much for him, but I’ve been reminded lately that sometimes I don’t work on certain things with Sundance because he can be scooped up, and that the size of the dog matters a lot less if I’m better focused.

i really want to know more about Schapendoes! What are their coats like?

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have fallen into the pit of AKC's foundation stock page.... So many unique and rare breeds I have never heard of. The Schapendoes are adorable! There isn't a lot about them. I wonder if you have to trim their hair like you do with a Beardie or does it stay the same length?

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Not a hound fan. I babysat my brother's hound mix last summer. Sweetest thing ever but nothing stops him if he escapes. I ran after him yelling treats and shaking a bag but, nope, the outdoor smells were too much. PBGVs are very cute but not my thing. Same goes for terriers. They are very prey focused. My poor cat would have a heart attack. LOL

Has anyone owned a Tibetan Terrier? Or has thoughts? Of course, my hubby goes from wanting an Aussie to another Hav to a Papillon. He has no clue. The #1 must-have on his list is low shedding so that eliminates the Aussie.

Maybe we aren't ready for another dog..... MAYBE A POODLE!?! Just a regular poodle.... but some are weird, neurotic little things. sigh....... I have no clue either.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Not a hound fan. I babysat my brother's hound mix last summer. Sweetest thing ever but nothing stops him if he escapes. I ran after him yelling treats and shaking a bag but, nope, the outdoor smells were too much. PBGVs are very cute but not my thing. Same goes for terriers. They are very prey focused. My poor cat would have a heart attack. LOL

Has anyone owned a Tibetan Terrier? Or has thoughts? Of course, my hubby goes from wanting an Aussie to another Hav to a Papillon. He has no clue. The #1 must-have on his list is low shedding so that eliminates the Aussie.

Maybe we aren't ready for another dog..... MAYBE A POODLE!?! Just a regular poodle.... but some are weird, neurotic little things. sigh....... I have no clue either.

I have a friend (now a Havanese owner) who used to breed TT's. They are bigger, as you know, NOT terriers (as I suspect you know) tend to be less biddable, and a bit more aloof. But overall they are nice dogs.

Paps are high drive, and if you think Poodles can be a bit cray-cray, you haven't met enough Papillons! ...AND they are not REMOTELY low shed/low allergy. They are only small, which keeps the amount of hair down just by size.

If you are CAREFUL, and find the RIGHT Poodle breeder and work with them to find the right puppy, you should do fine. There are a lot of nice poodles out there. And they would be a REALLY nice match for Fezzik. (I'd go miniature rather than Toy)

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
It seems as if all the poodle breeders are breeding DOODLES! sigh. I can understand. They are super popular.

I came across Cobberdogs out of Australia. They are 'special' labradoodles. Supposedly their own recognized breed. Cute with more of a lab nose.

Maybe we will just forget about a second dog.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
It seems as if all the poodle breeders are breeding DOODLES! sigh. I can understand. They are super popular.

I came across Cobberdogs out of Australia. They are 'special' labradoodles. Supposedly their own recognized breed. Cute with more of a lab nose.

Maybe we will just forget about a second dog.
The "serious" Poodle breeders would not CONSIDER breeding Doodles, or they would be kicked out of the breed club... Come to the Wrentham shows weekend after next and connect with some Poodle breeders there. (or just visit with the Havis when they show! ;)

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Dog show? is it at the Wrentham Development Center?
Hockamock is Friday and Saturday, Wampanoag is Thursday and Sunday. So 4 days of showing. If you are interested, contact me early in the week before the shows and I can tell you ring times for any breeds you are interested in talking to. (And Havanese, of course! ;) Ducky will be showing Fri., Sat., Sun.)
Hockamock Kennel Club, Inc.
Event No: 2022105402
Crackerbarrel Frgnds
54 Emerald St.
Wrentham, MA
Web Site:http://www.hockamockkennelclub.com
Approved
All AKC-Recognized Breeds
Start Date: Saturday - July 02, 2022
End Date: Saturday - July 02, 2022
Closing Date: Wednesday - June 15, 2022
Time Zone: No Time Zone Available

Wampanoag Kennel Club, Inc.
Event No: 2022174402
Crackerbarrel Frgnds
54 Emerald St.
Wrentham, MA
Web Site:http://thewampanoagkennelclub.com
Approved
All AKC-Recognized Breeds
Start Date: Sunday - July 03, 2022
End Date: Sunday - July 03, 2022
Closing Date: Wednesday - June 15, 2022
Time Zone: No Time Zone Available

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
BTW, for anyone interested to checking out a dog show, they are fun! Parking is usually about $5, and there are often all kinds of spectator activities. Even if you have absolutely NO interest in showing your dog, it can be really fun to see all the breeds all spiffed up, watch dogs running “Fast Cat”, doing Barn Hunt and Nosework demos, watch Obedience and Dock Diving, perhaps agility, shop the vendors, etc.

You can check out what shows are in your area by going to: American Kennel Club - Event Search

and doing a search in your area, for the dates you are interested in. The big multi-date “clusters”, running 3-5 days are the ones likely to have the most events and vendors. But the smaller shows can be fun too!

When talking to breeders, be aware that when they are getting ready for their classes, they are probably busy and concentrating on their dogs. You can check in with them, but ask if you can chat with them after their class, and ask what a good time would be. Then watch their classes! Please do NOT touch dogs without permission, and don’t even ask before they go in the ring! Especially coated dogs like Havanese… it takes a tremendous amount of work to get them ring-ready! Oh, and if you have small children, keep a close eye on them, both for their safety and the safety of the dogs. A dog show is a very busy place!

Reactions: DogLover99

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, DRAT! The hubby is making noises that we should visit relatives that weekend.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts