Havanese Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Monday! Ok we have officially started the 5 day countdown till Mossimo comes home... and we go on our 8 hour journey for him :) Our breeder sent us these photos today and he is just sooo cute! I am bursting with excitment till he comes home. We set up his little home/crate area last night.

Any words of advice.. Esp on the first night :)

·
Metrowest, MA
27,661 Posts
What a little teddy bear!!! Just adorable!

As far as the first night is concerned, be prepared, but don't EXPECT it to be bad. We had decided we wanted Kodi to sleep on the first floor because of allergies and an elderly cat who sleeps upstairs, so for the first two weeks, either I or my son slept on the couch near his crate. I think he only asked to get up to pee at night once or twice in that period, and then went right back to sleep. He never even whimpered in his crate.

Not all of them have a hard adjustment!

·
Julie
1,441 Posts
He's really cute-I bet you're going to have a really long 5 days!

I did not get much sleep the first night and neither did she but I think some people had no problems with crying and whining the first night (I even had some howling). I think as long as Mossimo can see you, you will hopefully get some sleep...or not. To be safe, sleep a lot now :)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
The last part of the wait is the hardest. It is often all we think about and talk about. I have found sitting on my hands so I don't jump up and down appearing overly animated, softy bitting my lip for at least 5 mins before launching, yet again about the new pup, and all things Havanese. I have found this keeps my friends and family from thinking I have lost it, after all...An intervention could result in an even longer wait for that pup!

The pictures are adorable, I can feel your excitement.

·
Linda - Sasha's Mom
283 Posts
Happy Monday! Ok we have officially started the 5 day countdown till Mossimo comes home... and we go on our 8 hour journey for him :) Our breeder sent us these photos today and he is just sooo cute! I am bursting with excitment till he comes home. We set up his little home/crate area last night.

Any words of advice.. Esp on the first night :)

Ask your breeder to put a blanket in with him and his litter mates, then bring it home with you. That sometimes helps so they do not feel so lonely. Then if he cries the old standard (maybe hard to find) a ticking clock, warm blankets and if all else fails, you hold him. LOL Good luck, I was lucky mine had no adjustment issues. How fun for you a puppy!! :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last part of the wait is the hardest. It is often all we think about and talk about. I have found sitting on my hands so I don't jump up and down appearing overly animated, softy bitting my lip for at least 5 mins before launching, yet again about the new pup, and all things Havanese. I have found this keeps my friends and family from thinking I have lost it, after all...An intervention could result in an even longer wait for that pup!

The pictures are adorable, I can feel your excitement.
ALL DAY everyday ! I am doing all of the above!!! hahaha, We are bursting with excitment at my house!!.. I just want to drive there and snatch him up already! We even have a countdown calendar at my office - now I just need to figure out how to sneak him in here so all the girls can meet him.. How far away is take your dog to work day?.. Thanks for the laughs :)

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
YAY!! Congratulations!!! SOOOOooooo close!!

my only advice would be to be sure his crate or x-pen is VERY close to where you are, either in your room or the living room. So he can always see you. If whimpers or whines, I found it helpful to toss and turn in bed or cough, sneeze... anything so he KNOWS you are there, yet you aren't talking TO him.. does that make sense?

·
Ellen
63 Posts
He is so darn cute! I love his chocolate brown color, but my hav is chocolate also, so maybe I'm biased.

So, this is probably all wrong, but... When we brought our little one home, he was pretty needy at night the first week or so. The first night, I just sort of laid there listening to the whining and suffering through it, but the second night I was exhausted so I caved and stuck the toes of one foot into his crate (we have the wire kind). He snuffled my toes, then curled up on them and went right to sleep. I slowly pulled them out and we all slept!

I only "had" to do that for the first week. For me, it was worth it. I am much more patient with potty training, etc., during the day if I've gotten some sleep. :)

Good luck to you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts