Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Metrowest, MA
She's a cutie for sure!!! 馃挄

Reactions: Miss Frizzle

Registered
These are always fun! This is Miss Frizz! 馃榿
View attachment 178350
She's a cutie!! Wondering if you have groomed her face - it looks great. My Josie is 7 months and I just got her body cut down to 3/4" for summer since it's so hot right now but kept hair growing on top. I was trying to decide what to do with all that hair above and below the eyes. Doing double pony now because not long enough yet to get into top knot and had it trimmed some below because she was tearing a lot. I'll take a new photo and post.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She's a cutie!! Wondering if you have groomed her face - it looks great. My Josie is 7 months and I just got her body cut down to 3/4" for summer since it's so hot right now but kept hair growing on top. I was trying to decide what to do with all that hair above and below the eyes. Doing double pony now because not long enough yet to get into top knot and had it trimmed some below because she was tearing a lot. I'll take a new photo and post.
I do trim her face! And thanks, I am very much a newbie grooming-wise, never had a coated breed before. :D I am trying to keep her body as long as I can because the flying floof is just so much fun, lol, but wanted to make sure she could see easily. I also shaved her underside (chest/belly/armpit areas), and that seems to be working well to keep her cool - the heat doesn't seem to bother her too much.

Registered
I do trim her face! And thanks, I am very much a newbie grooming-wise, never had a coated breed before. :D I am trying to keep her body as long as I can because the flying floof is just so much fun, lol, but wanted to make sure she could see easily. I also shaved her underside (chest/belly/armpit areas), and that seems to be working well to keep her cool - the heat doesn't seem to bother her too much.
Just a note - because sometimes the terms are used interchangeably- but you want to use the smallest guide when you cut her down rather than "shaving" her unless it's for mats. For coolness I believe you want to keep the undercoat and shaving gets rid of both the outer and undercoats.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a note - because sometimes the terms are used interchangeably- but you want to use the smallest guide when you cut her down rather than "shaving" her unless it's for mats. For coolness I believe you want to keep the undercoat and shaving gets rid of both the outer and undercoats.
Yes I think this may be a terminology thing (and I know nothing of the correct terms, lol!) I used clippers to trim her underside (which doesn't seem to have two layers, but she is still young) so that it is quite short, maybe 1/8" but not right down to the skin. It might not be correct but seems to be working for her and makes for ease of belly rubs, lol

Registered
Yes I think this may be a terminology thing (and I know nothing of the correct terms, lol!) I used clippers to trim her underside (which doesn't seem to have two layers, but she is still young) so that it is quite short, maybe 1/8" but not right down to the skin. It might not be correct but seems to be working for her and makes for ease of belly rubs, lol
Sounds perfect :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts