Havanese Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do trim her face! And thanks, I am very much a newbie grooming-wise, never had a coated breed before. :D I am trying to keep her body as long as I can because the flying floof is just so much fun, lol, but wanted to make sure she could see easily. I also shaved her underside (chest/belly/armpit areas), and that seems to be working well to keep her cool - the heat doesn't seem to bother her too much.
The Havanese coat is unique to the breed and cutting it down exposes risk of sunburn. The coat is such that it keeps them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Remember they’re from Cuba. The long coat protects from
The sun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Havanese coat is unique to the breed and cutting it down exposes risk of sunburn. The coat is such that it keeps them cool in the summer and warm in the winter. Remember they’re from Cuba. The long coat protects from
The sun!
Makes sense, I trimmed only her underside, as in the part that never sees the sun lol. It has definitely helped keep her cooler I can say that.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
The sun!
This would be true if someone shaved their dog to the skin. A normal puppy cut does not expose the skin to sunburn. while I love my Havanese in full coat, My old retired guy is in a puppy cut, as is my husband’s girl.

No one should feel they HAVE to maintain a long coat to enjoy a Havanese. Even in old paintings, they are often portrayed in clipped coats.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
No one should feel they HAVE to maintain a long coat to enjoy a Havanese. Even in old paintings, they are often portrayed in clipped coats.
This is especially true if both you and your pup hate daily combing, a puppy cut can improve quality of life.

I do keep Perry in a very short puppy cut most of the year.

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,342 Posts
This is especially true if both you and your pup hate daily combing, a puppy cut can improve quality of life.

I do keep Perry in a very short puppy cut most of the year.
I grew Mia into a full coat for awhile. Although it was not as much work as I thought it would be, it definitely takes more time and effort. I particularly hated how long it takes to dry her. She is short now and she and I are both enjoying this much better. Ticks are so much easier to find too which is a definite health benefit. No more long hair for Mia. I agree…it can have an impact quality of life depending on the dog and owner. I think it is harder on the dogs as they get older too having to stand there longer. And if they have an orthopedic issue like Perry that could make it worse too.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
I grew Mia into a full coat for awhile. Although it was not as much work as I thought it would be, it definitely takes more time and effort. I particularly hated how long it takes to dry her. She is short now and she and I are both enjoying this much better. Ticks are so much easier to find too which is a definite health benefit. No more long hair for Mia. I agree…it can have an impact quality of life depending on the dog and owner. I think it is harder on the dogs as they get older too having to stand there longer. And if they have an orthopedic issue like Perry that could make it worse too.

I ADORED Kodi's long coat, and it KILLED me to cut him down. When I did it, it was because I was sick. But at his age now, I would NEVER ask him to deal with the grooming entailed in a long coat. Not only that, but the texture of his coat has changed now. As he grows out to the longest length I let him get, I see him getting more little mats. If he were in a long coat, I am SURE he would have more mats to deal with than he did when he was a young guy in his glorious long coat. And that just wouldn't be fair to him. he is an adorable old man in his puppy cut. He has nothing to prove to anybody!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
He's a cutie!

·
MJ
32 Posts
I do trim her face! And thanks, I am very much a newbie grooming-wise, never had a coated breed before. :D I am trying to keep her body as long as I can because the flying floof is just so much fun, lol, but wanted to make sure she could see easily. I also shaved her underside (chest/belly/armpit areas), and that seems to be working well to keep her cool - the heat doesn't seem to bother her too much.
I finally got the courage to groom Chérie myself. I trim her feet, around her mouth and trim her ears so they don’t fall into her food and water bowls. I enjoy the time I spend grooming her. I choose to let her hair grow long so I brush/comb her every morning it doesn’t take long. I love to see her run with her long hair flowing…beautiful sight

·
Registered
893 Posts
Had to add to this thread in honor of Charlie’s 10th ‘gotcha day’! The big picture is him at 11 weeks, top left is his first gotcha day (going through a ragamuffin phase, clearly!) and the bottom left is today. I’m wearing the same shirt for good measure 😂 This boy has enriched our lives SO much the last ten years and looking forward to the next ten, if he follow’s sweet Boo’s lead!

Clothing Hair Glasses Smile Skin

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Aww! Happy Gotcha Day, darling Charlie!

Reactions: LWalks
21 - 34 of 34 Posts