Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Mom of Brutus and Roxie
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching Havanese since we put our Cair asleep after 16 years. Hubby was convinced that we had to get another Cairn, but I told him I was thinking of another breed. I kept alking about the Havanese, but was not sharing ALL the info I had learned about health testing, etc. So hubby went out today and came home with a Havanese who did not do health testing. In the few hours we have known him, we love him. I know that hubby is head over heels in love and I hate to tell him that he did the wrong thing. So now what? Hope for the best?

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,359 Posts
Hi Cheryl,

Congratulations on your new baby. Your hubby is so wonderfully sweet, he just wanted to please you. He didn't have all the facts, so I don't think you want to tell him he did the wrong thing. He truly did his best. He reminds me of my hubby, that's exactly what he had done in the past. Just because the health testing hasn't been done, doesn't automatically mean there will be something wrong with the pup....most likely it will be healthy and happy, so stay positive. I often joke, that if people were required to be health tested before they were allowed to have babies, a lot of us would never have any, so chin up and just enjoy your new puppy. Is it a girl or a boy? What color? Oh, and please post pictures.

Enjoy your new baby and again congrats,

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Love the puppy, enjoy the puppy. Take good care of him?her? and don't worry excessively. I think not everything is within your control. If a less than perfect decision has been made, well, make good ones from here on out. Educate the hubby to the benefits of health testing and reputable breeders before you get another one;) . If your last dog had a happy 16 years with you, I bet this one will too. Take pictures! This forum loves pictures!

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
Hi Cherly,
Someone had to give this puppy a home; love him, take care of him, and give him a good life. There is some preventative health care and health testing you can do now and as the dog gets older to help keep him healthy.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Cheryl,
What a great guy you married. Mine did almost the same thing with my Hav #2. He wanted to surprise me, found a "breeder" and said let's go get her. So far everything is fine with her. There are certain thigs you can do, like having some tests done on your own. It may cost a little money now to do some tests, but may pay off down the road knowing you have a healthy puppy.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Welcome Cheryl, Congratulaions on your new baby, tell us all about him/her.

Just give your hubby a big hug and say thanks from your new pup.:) Good luck and enjoy.

·
Mom of Brutus and Roxie
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He did great yesterday afternoon and night. We played all afternoon, walked him 3 blocks on a leash so he was pretty worn out and crashed on our laps at 8:30. We put him in his crate at 9 PM. He slept like a rock until 5:30, wimpered, went outside to pee, then went right back into his crate for more sleep. He is not into food. I really have to encourage him to eat at all. And so far he only drinks the liquid I put in his food or a little water out of my hand. He weighed 3.4 pounds on our scale and his white with black. Hubby named him Brutus. I'll have to learn how to post a picture.

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Congradulations Cheryl on your new hav puppy Brutus!His name sounds SO big,but yet he is so little!:D I'm sure he will have a great home with you and your husband and just remember,with all the health testing in the world sometimes things can still happen.I'd be thrilled if my husband picked out a new hav and brought one home!I won't hold my breathe till he does.....maybe your husband had a big void in his heart too,after your other dog passed away.Just smile really big,give your husband a big hug and love your new Brutus alot!:D

pictures!pictures!we need pictures!!:D :D

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Congratulations on Brutus! What a sweet and thoughtful hubby you have! The day my hubs brings home a puppy to me will end up being designated as a National holiday :D He does tons of other nice things for me though!;) Enjoy your little guys days of being a "baby"....they go by quickly! Vicki

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Awww, how kind and thoughtful of your hubby. And a BIG congratulations on your new baby Brutus :D I share the same sentiment when I say enjoy the time you have with him because they are only that tiny once. I look forward to seeing your pictures :)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Brutus is a great name for a Hav! One of my sons wanted us to call our new one "Titus"! :D :rolleyes:

Is there any way YOU can contact the breeder of your new pup? Maybe just ask some questions so you might be reassured? Or would that just open up a can of worms??

It might be a good idea to check out the thread in here about pet insurance. Even the healthiest dogs get into trouble swallowing things they shouldn't and needing $4000 to remove them, or having accidents. I'd recommend you think about it and check out the different ones.

I'm not saying I think little Brutus will get sick! lol
Don't worry and enjoy the little guy. He's not so tiny, so that's a good thing. Our Ricky was 3.5 lbs at 9 weeks and is now 14+ lbs., a little on the big side but we know that once he starts playing with our #2 Hav, he'll be in great shape. :)

So you wet his kibble? We had to do that with Ricky for the first several weeks, wet it with hot water, drain and let it sit for 2-4 mins. or whatever. It just makes it easier for a wee one to chew it. In fact, I STILL wet it often just because he seems to like it better. :rolleyes:

Good luck and oh yes..... definitely need some pics of your new baby!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Oh Cheryl. Congratulations. Hubby did a little mistake but his heart was in the right place. You can let him know before you get Hav #2. Best wishes.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Congrats on your new dog!

Wow, that was a fast buy! hahaha... it't taking me forever to find/get one.. another 11 weeks i guess?? lol..

Where did you find one so quick? Breeder or a pet store? And why don't they have any history??

All the best! and posy some pics!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Congratulations .
He sounds like a keeper . my little guy Asta did not have healthe testing either and he was a wonderful companion and a great pet ..
You husband sounds like a keeper as well .. Lucky you !!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Jan D

Have fun with Brutus and enjoy him!

This is my first post since joining recently. I'm getting such a kick out of all your stories and advice! We haven't looked for a hav yet, but we know this is the breed we want. Neither of us has ever had a dog, so this is a giant step for us. Kids are gone and grown, so I think now might be the perfect time.
So, that said...I wanted to see a hav pup in person, so I went to the local pet store, never thinking they would have one, lo and behold they did...how cute he was! He was 9 weeks old.
A couple of weeks ago, I coaxed my husband into seeing a pup in person, not thinking the same pup would be there. Well he was, 15 weeks old now, and still adorable. Wondered why he wasn't gone yet. My husband said if he's still here when we get back in April(we're going to Az. mid April)we'll resue him! I've learned how important it is to use a good breeder and proper testing. He knows the importance also.
That being said, if my husband came home with that pup as a surprise, I'd melt and never would be able to return it. I'd love it and enjoy it and hope for the best healthwise!
So do just that--yours might be the healthiest of the bunch!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Welcome Jan D.

Please think long and hard before you rescue that pet store Puppy.

A friend of my "rescued" a pet store puppy(Chihuahua) because it was there so long and they felt so sorry for it. The neurological problems that poor baby has are terrible. For the first few weeks she would only walk in circles the size of the pen she was kept in. It has taken them along time to for her to bond to them.

Also, this may sound horrible, but buying a pet store pup just makes room for the store to sell another. Keeping the puppy mills in business:( .

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Hi Cheryl, Congratulations on getting Brutus! Your husband sounds like a wonderful, loving man. Tell him thanks and love that puppy. There are no guarentees of perfect health for any dog, so you just have to offer your heart and go for it! He's here now and he depends on you.

Christy

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Thank you for having the courage to say what you did, Debbie. I believe the same and know for a fact that pet store will simply replace the poor Hav with another, giving more business to the backyard or mill breeder that put it there in the first place.

It's such a sorry, sad Catch-22! It's gotta break your heart, Jan! :( I have had to stop going to pet stores ever since learning about where these animals most likely come from. I just can't take it... :( :mad:

Good luck, Jan! Seriously, in the long run, waiting for a pup from a reputable breeder will save you loads and loads of heartache and hopefully money in the long-term. Like us, who are also first-time dog owners, you won't regret making the right choice. Hang in there! :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts