Havanese Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had dogs my entire life, but Chloe is by far the cutest, funniest, sweetest, most opinionated and talkative little girl I've ever known. We are currently working on her leash training and her manners when we're out walking. We can use all the advice we can get!
Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Fawn

·
Registered
528 Posts
She is adorable! Havavese are incredibly smart, loving, and wonderful companions, but you have to invest time in helping them grow into well behaved members of your household. I also had dogs all of my life, but a refresher puppy class with a good trainer helped me remember what it was like to have a puppy again and new skills for me ..I believe in most cases the training is more for the owner than the dog! In my community, we have a lot of year old pandemic dogs who were not able to do puppy training classes or socialization and good trainers are flooded with clients!

i suspect there are some videos etc on leash training that you may find useful. Others here my have some links to share

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
She is adorable! Havavese are incredibly smart, loving, and wonderful companions, but you have to invest time in helping them grow into well behaved members of your household. I also had dogs all of my life, but a refresher puppy class with a good trainer helped me remember what it was like to have a puppy again and new skills for me ..I believe in most cases the training is more for the owner than the dog! In my community, we have a lot of year old pandemic dogs who were not able to do puppy training classes or socialization and good trainers are flooded with clients!

i suspect there are some videos etc on leash training that you may find useful. Others here my have some links to share
Denise Fenzi's "Denise Fenzi - The Fenzi Method: Cutting Corners to Loose Leash Walking" webinar is coming around again Dec. 16th. This is a VERy useful, no-nonsense approach to getting your dog to walk on a loose leash. It worked GREAT for Panda, who had a BEAUTIFUL formal heel on leash LONG before we could take a relaxing walk out in the real world!: Fenzi Dog Sports Academy - Webinars

You MUST sign up before the day of the seminar, but then it stays in your library so you can refer back to it for a year. (or indefinitely if you sign up for at least one new webinar or class each year!) And it's only $19.95!

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
I have had dogs my entire life, but Chloe is by far the cutest, funniest, sweetest, most opinionated and talkative little girl I've ever known.
Then you must have a Havanese breed. I often use the word "precocious" to describe the breed - never a dull moment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you for the good information! I am 56 and hubs is 60 - - having a puppy in the house was a lot more taxing this time around! :D It was touch and go the first few weeks, but it all worked out and we love her to pieces. She's a fabulous addition to the family.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Thank you for the good information! I am 56 and hubs is 60 - - having a puppy in the house was a lot more taxing this time around! :D It was touch and go the first few weeks, but it all worked out and we love her to pieces. She's a fabulous addition to the family.
Oh, you are a spring chicken around here! There are folks younger than you of course, but a lot of us older as well! You are right in the middle of the pack! ;)

Reactions: jbscott1007

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
Oh, you are a spring chicken around here! There are folks younger than you of course, but a lot of us older as well! You are right in the middle of the pack! ;)
Being master of a Havanese takes years off your chronological age...in more ways than one!

·
Premium Member
4,331 Posts
Oh my word she is just adorable. Willow is completely different from my prior dog (corgi). I was a little bit taken aback at the energy level and the mischievousness. She wasn't really naughty, just a handful and we had to learn about the TP and any dropped napkin or paper towel. I just get such a kick out of her - never a dull moment!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep - Chloe is a very busy dog. She's an accomplished sock thief, and she hates it when we disappear behind closed doors. But she is the funniest dog I've ever had, and very intelligent. We have gotten into a pretty good daily routine that includes nap time, walks, visiting Grandma & Grandpa and, of course, play time. We adore her and can't imagine life without here. Here's a picture of her with my 90-year-old mother. It's just joyful.
Dog Flower Carnivore Dog breed Comfort

1 - 12 of 12 Posts