Havanese Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 3 year old seems to be happy spending more time resting during the day. His one year old brother barks at him to play and he usually responds and he will always go after a ball or run to the door if he senses a squirrel outside. I wasn't expecting him to slow down for many years. Thoughts?

·
Metrowest, MA
32,246 Posts
Our 3 year old seems to be happy spending more time resting during the day. His one year old brother barks at him to play and he usually responds and he will always go after a ball or run to the door if he senses a squirrel outside. I wasn't expecting him to slow down for many years. Thoughts?

It's just becoming an adult dog! LOL! As long as he's ready and willing to engage and "go do stuff" when there is some thing interesting to do, it's is perfectly normal! Adult dogs are not "busy" on their own all the time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having spent two years watching my 12-year-old Havanese become more and more sedentary and disinterested. I perked up when I read this. The vet insisted there was nothing wrong after doing standard blood tests and a cursory physical exam. This happened three times over a 2+ year period. When she finally showed overt symptoms (very loose stools and a reluctance to eat). More testing was finally done. It turned out that she had IBD and Cushing's disease. The only thing needed to create serious veterinary suspicion was an ultrasound which is pretty much noninvasive.

So if you don't think your dog is really okay and it doesn't seem reasonable to you that he slowing down in the way that you see it, I really encourage you to do some medical follow-up, I was told Ellie was getting older, I was told she was depressed because of Covid and eventually the cause was attributed to her weight gain of 1 1/2 pounds. If it doesn't feel right to you, you know your dog best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts