Havanese Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard whether it is necessary to put a sweater on the havs when it is very cold outside? I read that dogs smaller than15 pounds need to have a sweater on if they are going to play outside in the very cold weather.
Anyone sweater their havs?

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
luchetel, I have a sweater for Oreo, and he used to swim in it. It looks like I will have to get a new one. Here in Ontario, it was getting VERY cold, about -12 to -15 deg C, which is about 5 to 10 deg F. That wasn't including the wind chill factor. At one point it got to -30 deg C with the windchill here, Looking at the thermometer that looks like 15 below 0 in Farhenheit!! It was cold. Although I didn't take Oreo out and stuck to the pads during this time, when it was milder, we always put his sweater on because we did not want to take a chance. I still don't want to take a chance, so I will be looking for another nice sweater for him. I also got him some muttlucks - dog booties, to protect his feet from the snow and salts on the streets. I have discovered our walks to be longer and he enjoys them more :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply- Looking at my puppy it seems like there is not enough hair to keep him warm- Judging on myself, when it is really cold, my head feels the cold- Fur must keep dogs warmer then hair does. I guess I need to look for a sweater for Parker!
Thanks
Lynn

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
luchetel, it really is up to you to see if your little one needs a sweater. If she is really shivering and her paws are coming off the ground and she is yelping - which happened to Oreo, by the way, then by all means get something to protect her from the elements. Oreo is 14 weeks old and the salt and snow really hurt his feet, so I decided on the boots. When its milder I don't use the sweater or boots, but when its extreme, like it is here at times, I use the clothing. For me personally, I find if Oreo dissipates his energy through a nice brisk walk then he is much more relaxed and happy. Good luck with your little one :)

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Reece, Florida sounds really, REALLY good right about now ;) I am always complaining about the cold here, I am looking forward till spring already!! Places like Florida and Hawaii sound so wonderful..... sigh.... "one day"...

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I bought a vinyl parka for Ricky as well as booties. I think that if you walk your Hav, it's good to have protection against salt on the roads in the winter time, or chunks of ice that can develop between the toes. The reason I got a coat though, wasn't really for warmth, but to cover up some of the hair that gets all clogged up with snowballs! When Ricky comes back in from being on the deck in back, he has the sticky snow velcroed to his belly, under his legs and on his chest. All that snow of course melts all over the floors and he can be wet for a long time. :rolleyes:

That WAS the intention anyway......... He's worn the coat twice and the booties 3 times so far. That's it! For the 20x/day he wants out the back door, he just runs out and does his thing, running like crazy on the days where it isn't too cold and back in the house he comes. Wet, dripping, stringy and smelly....... but sooooo very content. :)

I figure we've got many many winters to come when the coat just might come in handy again. lol

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
My two love the cold so much more than the heat. I dont use sweaters unless I just want to fufu them up. I would think if it gets very cold, it couldnt hurt. And I agree they would probably shake if they got cold.

I say buy the sweater and take a photo! haha

·
Registered
38 Posts
Fur must keep dogs warmer then hair does.
I just wanted to add that the Havanese AKC standard says, "His unique coat reflects centuries in the tropics, and protects against the heat."

So the fur on the Havanese doesn't really do much to insulate from the cold. I think I read somewhere that their hair is more to shield their skin and eyes from the hot tropical sun, not to provide warmth. Just wanted to pass that along :) !

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
Yes,I read that too........their hair is not going to keep them warm.Think of it as your own hair...better than bald,but you would still want a hat to brave the elements.I have a sweater for my guy,and if there is time,we put it on.Most the time he is quik-in,quik-out,just to go potty when it's really cold.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
All the reports I have seen on TV say to keep smaller dogs in coats, because they tend to get cold due to the fact that they are closer to the ground. Makes sense (or someone is just trying to sell a lot of doggie sweaters) :).
Also, I notice if they are cold, they will shiver. Mine have coats, but I only put them on in the early morning. The rest of the day, the cold doesn't seem to bother them. They run around the yard for an hour.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
I have to agree with Melissa on this one and Dora must have missed the havanese standard memo! She is in about 3/4ths full coat and she is usually warm. She also likes air conditioning, sleeping on slate flooring, and cooling down in rivers.

We bought her a few fufu coats (sweaters were nightmares on her hair!) and I hardly ever use them. She will hang out in the backyard and I live in Ohio for over 30 mins no problem. I usually have to drag her in. I also bought her boots and will enforce them when walking on sidewalks with salt. My maltese is totally opposite and I try to always put a coat on her before going outside, or the agility barns. She will shiver and shake, letting me know me when it is too cold to let Dora stay outside very long.

Amanda

1 - 11 of 11 Posts