Havanese Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One year ago today, we welcomed our first Havanese. We somehow found ourselves in the right place at the right time and found Naomi... a 15 month old perfect young girl who made us instantly fall head over heels for the breed! She was meant to be a Daddy's girl and I knew there needed to be a Mama's boy in the future. So of course, little Oliver entered our family last spring and now we have not one but two special Havs! They bring us so much joy and I'm so happy that we discovered this wonderful breed.

And.. I'm so thankful that I found this forum! Thank you to all for such wonderful information on just about everything! While I'm an experienced dog owner, I was totally new to this breed AND it had been a long time since I welcomed a puppy (Oliver) into our home. By searching this forum, I found so much information on grooming, puppy training (X-pen has been the saving grace!), healthcare, nutrition, etc.

So.. Cheers to one year with Naomi and cheers to this wonderful breed and this wonderful forum!!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
Happy “gotcha day” Naomi, and I am DO glad she lead you into the breed, and onto our forum!!! 💕

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Happy gotcha day! How do she and her brother get along these days?
They get along great. At times, Oliver can get to be a little annoying to Naomi but she lets him know who's boss. If he gets too annoying then she'll just walk into her crate and he knows that her crate is her space and it's off limits. They play really well together! In the last month, he's really matured and calmed down. He just turned 7 months old.

·
Registered
893 Posts
They get along great. At times, Oliver can get to be a little annoying to Naomi but she lets him know who's boss. If he gets too annoying then she'll just walk into her crate and he knows that her crate is her space and it's off limits. They play really well together! In the last month, he's really matured and calmed down. He just turned 7 months old.
That’s wonderful to hear! I’ve never had two dogs together before, and it’s so lovely to see their relationship develop.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That’s wonderful to hear! I’ve never had two dogs together before, and it’s so lovely to see their relationship develop.
We've always been a multi dog household. When Oliver joined our family last spring we had 4 other dogs (total 5) so he learned pretty quickly about being a part of a pack and he was the youngster. We recently had to say goodbye to our senior collie so now we are down to 4. The Collie was our only large dog and the ever calming presence in the household and he is sorely missed. He was the typical Lassie personality... keeping an eye on everyone and making sure everything ran smoothly. Another of our dogs is getting up there in age and has some health issues (but don't tell him that because he's already proved the doctor wrong a few times!). We will someday be a 2 dog household but I hope it's not anytime soon. Right now it seems kind of strange to only have 4! At one point years ago we had 10... I don't miss that chaos 🤣

·
Registered
893 Posts
We've always been a multi dog household. When Oliver joined our family last spring we had 4 other dogs (total 5) so he learned pretty quickly about being a part of a pack and he was the youngster. We recently had to say goodbye to our senior collie so now we are down to 4. The Collie was our only large dog and the ever calming presence in the household and he is sorely missed. He was the typical Lassie personality... keeping an eye on everyone and making sure everything ran smoothly. Another of our dogs is getting up there in age and has some health issues (but don't tell him that because he's already proved the doctor wrong a few times!). We will someday be a 2 dog household but I hope it's not anytime soon. Right now it seems kind of strange to only have 4! At one point years ago we had 10... I don't miss that chaos 🤣
Wow that does sound like a wonderful energy! So sorry for the loss of your sweet collie! 🙁

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should also add that it was very interesting that Oliver only really tried to play with Naomi from the start. His little mind knew that the older dogs were not interested. Naomi's breeder told me that Havanese LOVE other Havanese and she wasn't surpised at all. Of course they're also much closer in age at 20 months apart.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,476 Posts
I should also add that it was very interesting that Oliver only really tried to play with Naomi from the start. His little mind knew that the older dogs were not interested. Naomi's breeder told me that Havanese LOVE other Havanese and she wasn't surpised at all. Of course they're also much closer in age at 20 months apart.
It probably helped that they were closer in age, but it IS amazing how much “Havanese stick together” Occassionally, we have had someone bring another small non-Havanese dog to one of our Havaneseparties, and the other dogs don’t really play with that dog! They don’t bother it, but neither do they engage with it the way they do with the other Havanese!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It probably helped that they were closer in age, but it IS amazing how much “Havanese stick together” Occassionally, we have had someone bring another small non-Havanese dog to one of our Havaneseparties, and the other dogs don’t really play with that dog! They don’t bother it, but neither do they engage with it the way they do with the other Havanese!
Yep! He just instantly gravitated to Naomi.. and she to him. The other dogs were welcoming but he just felt comfortable with her from the first moment.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Wow… That’s a lot of dogs! I can’t even think of two or three here, but ten? I’m amazed that you handled that!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Interesting! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts