Havanese Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Owned by a Havallon
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that concerns me about both human and dog toothpastes is how abrasive they are. Toothpastes that have relative dentin abrasity (RDA) scale under 70 are considered low abrasive. Above 70 they are considered too abrasive which can damage tooth enamel and lead to gum recession. Many toothpastes on the market for humans are way higher than this. A hard toothbrush makes it even worse. It is good to check the RDA of our toothpaste, however I wonder if dog toothpastes are even rated. I assume we need to be gentle with dog teeth just like we do we our own teeth.

How Can You Tell If a Toothpaste Is Abrasive?

RDA of common toothpastes:

Over Abrasive Toothpastes Can Be Harmful to Your Teeth

Note that water has an RDA of 4 and baking soda is 7

·
Metrowest, MA
30,820 Posts
One thing that concerns me about both human and dog toothpastes is how abrasive they are. Toothpastes that have relative dentin abrasity (RDA) scale under 70 are considered low abrasive. Above 70 they are considered too abrasive which can damage tooth enamel and lead to gum recession. Many toothpastes on the market for humans are way higher than this. A hard toothbrush makes it even worse. It is good to check the RDA of our toothpaste, however I wonder if dog toothpastes are even rated. I assume we need to be gentle with dog teeth just like we do we our own teeth.

How Can You Tell If a Toothpaste Is Abrasive?

RDA of common toothpastes:

Over Abrasive Toothpastes Can Be Harmful to Your Teeth

Note that water has an RDA of 4 and baking soda is 7
I don’t think there is much, if any abrasive in the dog toothpaste I use (CET) From what the vet has told me.
, the most important part is to get the enzymes in the dog’s mouth. Brushing is better, but it is the enzymes themselves that do the lion’s share of the work.

Reactions: mudpuppymama
1 - 2 of 2 Posts