Havanese Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this list from: http://www.cynadohavanese.com/

I've been looking for this so thought that maybe some of you might want to know.....

Foods Toxic to your Dog

There are a number of foods we humans eat that can be quite toxic to our canine companions.

Please be aware this is only a partial list of foods & symptoms. This list is provided for your perusal, and is in no way meant to offer medical advice.

If you believe your dog has been subjected to food toxins, please call your veterinarian immediately!!!

Alcohol Can cause intoxication, coma, and death.
Almond Pit contains cyanide. Can be fatal. *Remember, dogs do not know to stop eating at the pit.
Animal Fat Excessive fat can cause Pancreatitis.
Apple Pit contains cyanide. Can be fatal.
Apricot Pit contains cyanide. Can be fatal.
Avocados Fruit, Pit, and plant are all toxic!! Can cause respiratory problems as well as fluid accumulation in the head, chest, and abdomen.
Baby Food May contain onion powder!! (See onion)
Bones Can cause obstructions, or lacerations of the digestive tract.
Cherries Pit contains cyanide. Can be fatal.
Chocolate Can cause seizures, coma and death. Unsweetened chocolate is the most dangerous.
Coffee/Tea Can contain caffeine, which can cause seizures, coma and death.
Citrus oil extracts Can cause vomiting
Fried foods Excessive fat can cause Pancreatitis.
Garlic Can damage red blood cells and cause anemia.
Grapes Can cause acute renal failure.
Macadamia Nuts Can cause muscle weakness, tremors, and paralysis.
Mushrooms Can cause multiple system failure, shock, and death.
Nutmeg Can cause tremors, seizures, and death.
Onions Can damage red blood cells and cause anemia.
Peaches Pit contains cyanide. Can be fatal.
Raisins Can cause acute renal failure.
Raw Eggs Decreases absorption of biotin, which can lead to skin, and coat problems. Also raw eggs may contain salmonella.
Salt Excessive amounts can lead to electrolyte imbalances, and kidney problems.
Tomatoes The plants themselves are the most toxic, but the fruit can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Good to know - raisins and grapes are big one as they can cause acute renal failure and death ..
Also there are also plants you need to be aware of . Lillies is one of them so keep your Easter lillies away from your dogs or maybe better yet do not buy them at all ..

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Thanks for all that....didn't know about some of them! We are about to get a fence and my yard is full of different plants that the original owner planted so I am not sure what everything is. What outdoor stuff is toxic besides the Lily?? vicki:confused:

·
Tori's mom
4,988 Posts

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I'm just curios about the garlic because there are recipes out there for dog cookies and they say to add garlic powder to it. Now, if garlic is toxic, what about the powder? Is that different in any other way than the fact that it is powdered?

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Garlic

Helen, i asked about the garlic too as it is in a lot of dog food. It is also thought to be a natural flea and tick repellant. the answer I found - was that garlic is Ok in small amounts is Ok - that it would take 50 cloves of garlic in one sitting to cause any harm . Here's an article, it happens to be from the pet food I am currently using- but I had read it other places too. (http://beowulfs.com/)

Thanks for the lists all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts