Havanese Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of you now have more than one baby! Is it any easier to pottytrain the new addition than it was the first or does it just seem that way because you know what to expect the 2nd time around??? Do they learn anything from your other havanese????

Olliesmom aka
Catherine

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
I think I learned more the second time around. We originally trained Belle indoors. Then trained her outdoors and she went thru a period of confusion. With Dora, we learned our lesson!!! We also learned to be way more proactive in the beginning. Not letting the dog out of our site, etc. When we had our rescue havanese- he never had an accident in the house. He was turned in for not being potty trained and he was good to be adopted in 2 weeks. I now get an A+ in potty training <BG>

Their habits are completely different so I dont think they learned from each other. Isabelle comes to you and barks at you when she wants to go out. Dora uses her bells on the door. We taught Isabelle the bells before but she refuses to use them, she is smart and she will walk to the door and bark or stand in front of you and bark repeatedly. Dora does what she was taught. Walks up to the door and hits the bells.

Good luck!
Amanda

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I agree with Amanda, I did not find that they learned from each other. Although we were better at it as we learned from our mistakes with each new one. Lily barks at the door to go out, and if you dont come, she finds you and barks at you. Lexi & Logan just sit by the sliding door, which doesnt really help if you are not there to see them!!
Laurie

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I have not found that it is any easier with a second. Also, I don't see Shelby learning from Kodi. Kodi rarely uses the pee pad anymore and with the weather being so nice now, he is outdoors alot. Shelby is still learning, but she is only 5.5 mos. She knows that first thing in the AM she is out the door and she does her business. The rest of the day she uses the pee pad when she has to (most of the time) or we take her outside.

I think our consistency with training that really works the best.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It is a work in progress sometimes they both do it together - no problem and then we may have a lapse or two .
I agree it is getting better now that the weather is better ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts