Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone travel with their baby? I am especially interested in Air travel experiences and tips! Any help would be great...

Olliesmom aka Catherine

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
We haven't flown, yet.. but I know for us, any travel experience is made better by going for a long walk right before leaving. (She ends up sleeping through most of it)

Ollie is soo cute, I was looking at the pictures you posted in the gallery earlier.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx...they are all so cute!!!

Hoping to hear about flying stories - try to convince the husband to take him with us on a short trip to Colorado!!

Olliesmom

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
I take mine all over. They are both great travelers. Put them in a sherpa and right under the seat they go. It does cost a tad, but its usually less than boarding or paying someone to watch them. I love taking mine on vacations, they are good in the hotel room and love to be with you.

Just take paper towels and zip lock bags just in case, on the plane. I have never had either have an accident, but you dont want to stink up the plane if it does. Also take a potty pad in case you get stuck in an airport for a really long time. You can take them into a stall......

Take flossies or something so they are entertained in the hotel when you are not with them. I leave the tv on so they are not bothered by every sound in the hall.

Ill think of some more stuff. American Airlines just stopped requiring health certificates also, so thats a saved expense.

I even took Goldie to Hawaii!!!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Catherine: Are you planning to go to the Havanese National in Colorado this summer?

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
National Hav. Specialty

August 15 - 18 in Denver. Tom can tell you more details.:)

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Melissa~ You leave them alone in the hotel? That doesn't worry you? (for someone stealing one of them)

We have to travel the end of this month for 2 days, and I have a meeting one day so we will be gone most of the day~ so we're leaving Princess home with my SIL & my teen (who isn't overly happy to not be going with~ but I don't trust my SIL alone with the dog. lol)

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
I have the same concern...I'm meeting my daughter with her Hav in Indy later this month and we will need to leave the dogs alone for awhile to watch my niece play volleyball. I want to take them with us to the game, but don't know if we can get in with dogs. Is there any security measure you can take to protect them in the room?
Judy

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
We haven't travelled by plane, but take them pretty much everywhere with no problem. Kodi went to Cape Cod last summer and we had a blast. I don't know who had more fun - Kodi or us :D

As far as the hotel, most places I've checked into say that pets are not to be left in room unattended. Do you just take a chance and leave them? What about a petsitter? I did find one place in Vermont that also offered pet day care so you could go ski, sightsee, etc. But not many places offer that. Might be a god business to start :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would probably use a combination lock on the crate while i was gone and a bicycle lock for the crate attached to the bed frame or something - also make sure you leave your cell phone # with the front desk if there should be a problem!

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
Good idea...the locks etc. I guess I don't understand how you travel with a dog and not leave them in the motel? You can't take them into a restaurant..it's often too hot to leave them in a car....how do you include a dog in vacation activities? I've always boarded our big dogs and really don't have any experience traveling with a companion dog. I don't want to board Izzy....just wondering....

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Judy, Izzy is adorable! How old is she? I've never traveled with mine...when we are gone we are usually too busy to have a pet with us. Even though I miss him terribly, he gets more attention there where we board them. They are our vets and close friends so they always give our babies TLC! Not sure what I would do if we didn't have them! Vicki

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
I do leave them sometimes. You just need to make sure your pup wont bark the entire time you are gone. Thats why I leave the TV on. I dont leave them real long, but if I go to dinner or something.

I put the do not disturb sign on the door.

Westins and W's are great. At the westin in Vegas, they send you a big dog bed, bowls and treats. The W has a doggie room service menu and dog sitters sometimes.

When the hotels say dont leave your dog in the room, I never get it. Because they dont allow you to take them into the dining room. Are you supposed to stay and eat room service? Just choose pet friendly places.

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
Thanks, Vicki...she seems to get cuter every day! She is 15 weeks today and I think she may have broken the four pound mark, but I'm not sure!
I have a friend that has a boarding kennel..a very nice one, so I suppose I should make an effort to take Izzy there a few times to get used to it in case we do need to board her. As attached as I am to my bigger dogs, it seems easier to leave them then it would be to leave Izzy!! Maybe when she gets older I won't worry so much.....

Melissa, I made reservations at a motel in Indianapolis that allows pets, but there wasn't anything on their web page that said you couldn't leave them alone in the room. I guess we'll see when we get there! What's the point of allowing pets if you can't leave them? I understand if they bark and are a problem, but you're only a phone call away anymore. Thanks for the info...

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
Melissa is right on about the tv. I also bought a fan for white noise. My havanese isnt much of a barker but the maltese is. We put the fan right in front of her crate ($15 at walmart and can take batterieis too-great for warm summers too) so she doesnt hear people in the hallway as much. This is when she tends to bark the most.

Also give your cell phone number incase there is an issue with your dog barking and disturbing others.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Melissa, that is what most hotels state on in the fine print, so I guess you can say you didn't see it.

For pet friendly vacations, we picked Provincetown, Cape Cod. Dog friendly beaches and restaurants and shopping. As long as weather permits, you can dine outdoors with your dogs at most restaurants. They will even bring bowls of water to you table for them. Kodi ate breakfast and supper with us everyday. We usually had our lunch near the pool at the hotel. We were very lucky, because the weather was beautiful while we were there.

Dogs are allowed in the shops in town as well. In one store, we found a little girl Hav and they played together for about 15 mins. Well behaved dogs are even allowed on the Whale Watching tours. We can't wait to go again with Kodi and Shelby.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
I used to take Asta on flights all the time but not a long flight - just an little over an hour .
The first time he was a pup and I gave him some homeopathic tranquilizers but he slept so soundly it made me nervous . I kept having to peek at him
After that we did it without . He did just fine . I would just fly from SFO to the desert so it is only an hours flight .
You have to have a reservation for your dog as only one dog per cabin sometimes some airlines make exceptions when it is busy holidays . I always used a travel agent to make sure he was booked and all was well . I did not do it on line ..Southwest does not take dogs period .
You need a health certificate from your vet saying it is safe for him to fly . He needs to be up to date on all his shots . You need to get the health certificate within 14 days of the flight and yes he does have to have an exam to get the certificate . So off to the vet you and doggie must go .
When you check in you have to pay for your dog and they may ask for the health certificate and they may not . You still must have it with you whether they ask for it . Not in your luggage - in your purse .. The dog must be able to turn around comfortably in the sherpa - that seems to be important - some people ask to see the dog some do not care .
Going through security - you must remove the collar and take them out of the sherpa . The sherpa goes through on the belt and you carry the dog . it is best to let them know you have a dog in the sherpa . Some security people are very nice and they are helpful and every now and again you get a grouch - hard to believe when these dogs are so cute ..
Some people do not feed the dog before the flight . ASta was OK - no sickness . He knew the drill and he would just go to sleep . Sometimes the flight attendants are a pain and insist the dog go right under the seat from the time you board . Others are nice and wait until they close the doors ..
Make sure you potty you dog before you leave home .
Some people walk their dogs through the airport I would usually keep him in the sherpa but if the flight was delayed and it was very hot I would take him out . He would just sit on my lap and he was fine ..
WE go from one house to another so we did not stay that much in motels .
Once we had to stay in a motel and he was fine . I took him with me during the day . I never let the maids clean the room if I left him. I rarely left him alone but one time I did leave him for about 30 minutes and he was fine .
If we were in the room with the dog I left the do not disturb sign on . We had a balcony and he would go emergency potty there but most of the time I walked him .. I used pee pee pads for indoor potty .
He slept in a crate not on the bed - I did not know how clean the spreads were . You hear stories !!
Cosmo is a puppy and I am not there as yet .Still work to do .. Ahnold is year and he is great in the car but we have not been on a long trip with him as yet .
I am still looking for a pet sitter ..
Asta went to a vet techs house when we traveled to Europe but she is too busy to take on two dogs right now ..

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Some airlines have a 10 lb. limit on dogs. Pam took Posh to a Judges Ed Seminar, he weighs close to 12 lbs. She flew there on one airline, which we are used to, and there was no problem but the return flight was on a different airline and they didn't want to let her on the plane. This was a first but we learned to check the airline first.

You have to reserve space for the dog, since they limit it to 2 in the cabin, but don't pay for the pet until you check in.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
You have to reserve space for the dog, since they limit it to 2 in the cabin, but don't pay for the pet until you check in.[/QUOTE]

Tom, Actually some airlines allow more then that. When we flew from California to Virginia for the specialty there were 8 dogs in the cabin!!! That was on American.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts