Havanese Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Sophie
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago, Brisket made his return to the show ring after 2 years off. He finished his championship in October of 2019, in December of 2019 I chopped all of his hair off with plans to start fresh in hopes that his ends would be fuller as they had been a bit damaged and thinned from his puppy coat change. Then COVID happened, I got bored, and in May of 2020, I decided to cord him!

Brisket's first weekend back out was a 4 day cluster where he went Best of Breed every single day, earning a major and two champion defeats in the process. We earned some high praise on his cords on the Sunday from our breed judge, who has experience with Pulis, and on Saturday we earned an Owner-Handled Group 4 in addition to our breed wins!

This past weekend, Brisket piloted me to what was both of our first EVER regular group placement. In with all of the pros and their far more polished, in practice show dogs, Brisket was given the honor of a Group 4th under legendary dog man Desi Murphy!! Given the size of the show, it was an unusually large entry of toy breeds, and Beefy earned about 100 all breed points. We then went right into the owner-handled group ring and followed that win up with an Owner-Handled Group 3 and even more lovely compliments on his cords from a judge who breeds Komondors (she told me she was shocked when I explained he was the first dog I've corded). His win in the breed ring gave him another major and another champion defeat toward his grand, putting him over halfway to his GCH title in just two shows out!

Not sure when we will be showing next, but I can't wait. We're having a blast!!

Plant Dog Vertebrate Blue Flowerpot
Dog Azure Wood Grey Carnivore
Field house Chair Championship Competition event Recreation
Plant Dog Flower Sky Carnivore
Plant Dog Carnivore Dog breed Grass

Metrowest, MA
I am SOOOO Happy for you! What a rush! I know part of it is having the right dog, but a BIG part of it is also the TREMENDOUS work and preparation you have put into him! Well done, BOTH of you!!! 馃挄

Registered
About a month ago, Brisket made his return to the show ring after 2 years off. He finished his championship in October of 2019, in December of 2019 I chopped all of his hair off with plans to start fresh in hopes that his ends would be fuller as they had been a bit damaged and thinned from his puppy coat change. Then COVID happened, I got bored, and in May of 2020, I decided to cord him!

Brisket's first weekend back out was a 4 day cluster where he went Best of Breed every single day, earning a major and two champion defeats in the process. We earned some high praise on his cords on the Sunday from our breed judge, who has experience with Pulis, and on Saturday we earned an Owner-Handled Group 4 in addition to our breed wins!

This past weekend, Brisket piloted me to what was both of our first EVER regular group placement. In with all of the pros and their far more polished, in practice show dogs, Brisket was given the honor of a Group 4th under legendary dog man Desi Murphy!! Given the size of the show, it was an unusually large entry of toy breeds, and Beefy earned about 100 all breed points. We then went right into the owner-handled group ring and followed that win up with an Owner-Handled Group 3 and even more lovely compliments on his cords from a judge who breeds Komondors (she told me she was shocked when I explained he was the first dog I've corded). His win in the breed ring gave him another major and another champion defeat toward his grand, putting him over halfway to his GCH title in just two shows out!

Not sure when we will be showing next, but I can't wait. We're having a blast!!

View attachment 176319 View attachment 176320 View attachment 176321 View attachment 176322 View attachment 176323
Congrats! Also, he looks amazing corded! I can鈥檛 tell鈥 do you cord the beard or does that remain loose?

Sophie
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats! Also, he looks amazing corded! I can鈥檛 tell鈥 do you cord the beard or does that remain loose?
Beard is corded! I've seen some people who cord their dogs leave the beard and mustache grown out. I don't blame them, as they are more difficult to keep clean corded, but I have always thought it looks a bit silly leaving it fluffy when everything else is in cords!

Sophie
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am SOOOO Happy for you! What a rush! I know part of it is having the right dog, but a BIG part of it is also the TREMENDOUS work and preparation you have put into him! Well done, BOTH of you!!! 馃挄
Thanks Karen! I'm totally thrilled and still just floating. I know he is deserving, but to have some pretty respected people agree is something else. Not to mention, as you said, to have the work put in recognized! I was nearly sick on my way to the first day of our first show, fully convinced we would be thrown out of the ring because something wasn't right with the cords!

You'll like this part... Between Brisket and the Min Pin that went Group 2, the toy group placers had 3x as many back end titles as the next highest group. That NEVER happens!!

Metrowest, MA
Thanks Karen! I'm totally thrilled and still just floating. I know he is deserving, but to have some pretty respected people agree is something else. Not to mention, as you said, to have the work put in recognized! I was nearly sick on my way to the first day of our first show, fully convinced we would be thrown out of the ring because something wasn't right with the cords!

You'll like this part... Between Brisket and the Min Pin that went Group 2, the toy group placers had 3x as many back end titles as the next highest group. That NEVER happens!!
THAT is really awesome鈥 and I have to say鈥 especially for the Min Pin鈥 I always say鈥 anyone who does performance stuff with a Min Pin (especially obedience) had BETTER have a sense of humor! LOL!

Reactions: ShamaMama

Registered
Beard is corded! I've seen some people who cord their dogs leave the beard and mustache grown out. I don't blame them, as they are more difficult to keep clean corded, but I have always thought it looks a bit silly leaving it fluffy when everything else is in cords!
Impressive! It must have been a ton of work and he looks great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts