Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My dog Dyson was either given away or sold without my permission while in the care of someone while being shown. I was told he was "given" to a retired school teacher in Frederick, Maryland.

I have over $5,000 invested in this dog.

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why does it matter how much you've invested in him? Poor boy was stolen from his owner! Call the police!!

Reactions: HavaGee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, I didn't report it. I did not want to get this person in trouble and I still don't because of his fragility. I just wanted my dog back that I had paid for. I was stupid and naive and thought he would be sent to me eventually. I was intimidated by what was being done to me. I considered this person a friend but now, in hindsight, I know it was not so. I was just a source of income for this person.

·
Registered
467 Posts
This is such a strange story! I guess he was staying with handler? How old is he? Has he ever stayed with you? I would turn heaven and earth to find out what happened to him!

·
Registered
544 Posts
This is indeed an odd story. I'm only speculating here, reading between the lines, it sounds like you sent your boy out with a handler and you haven't paid your bill. Handlers are wildly expensive and you can run up a $50,000 bill in one year with a high profile professional. If that is the case, he's within his rights to place/sell this dog. Maybe he's simply in a foster home until you pay your bill. It also sounds like you are using this forum to discredit someone without giving us all the facts. Whoever is moderating this forum should take this off.

·
Ruth (me) Chester (dog)
887 Posts
How horrible, he is such a beautiful boy!! Like the others said, I would probably call the police. I hope you get him back soon!:hug:

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you truly want "your" dog back, you would contact the police. Why would you worry about someone who sees you as a $$ source and stole your dog? I am thinking this whole story may indeed be phony!

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Sadly, this is not the first time I've heard of a story like this. There is much to the show world that is more than simply being about the dogs. Actually, very little of it is really about the dogs. We wouldn't participate at all, but so many think it's necessary. We don't participate in the professional handler part of it at all. It's a money and ego game for the most part.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Even if you found the dog, the current owner is not going to want get involved in whatever strange thing is going on and hand it over. If you have a legal right to the dog, you could get it back very quickly with the help of authorities. Or at least get your money back. Small claims court could also be a way to get the cash; small claims cases are frequently mediated and there are no criminal consequences. If you don't want to pursue those options... I don't think this will go well. I'm sorry you're in this situation.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with everyone, this is strange. If i were you I would be in a panic mode running to the police and having my dog's face plastered all over the hood and the social media.
I know that some less than reputable kennels will sell dogs away while you are gone but that is pretty rare. you gotta do something.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sadly, this is not the first time I've heard of a story like this. There is much to the show world that is more than simply being about the dogs. Actually, very little of it is really about the dogs. We wouldn't participate at all, but so many think it's necessary. We don't participate in the professional handler part of it at all. It's a money and ego game for the most part.
This makes me feel like watching Best in Show (the movie) again. I never get tired of that one.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Wherever that sweet boy is, I just hope he is cared for and loved. I would be a basket case if either of my two furry kids were missing. I hope this gets resolved very soon.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
What ever it is that has gone on you know what the person wanted. Communication and flowing your contract would have most likely been and still could be your solution.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yeah, Beth, so would most of us, but it sounds like in this case it was primarily a business venture. Taking into account the possibility for misunderstanding with only the few words posted by the OP, I have to admit that I was rather shocked and put off by the coldness and emphasis on the money she'd spent. If my dog was missing I sure as hell wouldn't be focused on how much money I'd spent on him, and in fact would probably go in hock for the rest of my life if that's what it took to get him back. Just goes to show, it takes all kinds, I guess.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I know nothing about this missing dog or any transaction related to the dog, but I recognize the man pictured with the dog. He is a breeder in West Virginia. I spoke with him once or twice and then decided to look elsewhere because I got a "creepy" vibe from him. I don't know much about his current breeding practices or handling, but he imported Salemi Charly from Hungary and was very respected at one time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts