Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am sitting here like a zombie waiting to hear on my Ollie baby. He was vomiting yesterday morn - did not seem that bad - but then started again at 5:30 last nite....vet said to come in - $275 later...he has eaten something about the size of an 1.5 inch rock - maybe wood....brought him home - not eating or drinking - and took him back to stay at vet today - he may need surgery to remove what ever it is...it is soooooo hard to see him just look at you with those eyes....surgery will be about $1000....thankfully I have insurance -

Olliesmom

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is official - surgery today - send good thoughts:(

Olliesmom

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Oh dear, how stressful!! I'm sorry to hear Ollie will need surgery! :( I'm sure they'll find what the problem is and he'll do just fine, but it is still worriesome. You feel helpless, sitting at home waiting for news.

Please do let us know how Ollie makes out o.k.? Thank goodness for insurance. That does it, I'm signing up today - been waiting too long to finally decide, but this convinces me insurance is necessary. You just never know what your little one will get into!

Good luck, positive vibes sent your way. ((hugs))

marj

·
Quincy's Mom-Vinnie too!
9,923 Posts
That is too bad.....please keep us updated.Makes me think I better get insurance too!Yikes!
I'm interested in what he ate....ok?
Thanks...were praying for your cute little guy!

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
Awwww, no fun~
I am sure he will make it thru surgery just fine. I am curious as to what he ate, poor guy. I remember last year one of my dogs kept having diarrhea, and I couldn't figure out why because she was acting normal in every other way, then she pooped out one of my bright yellow earplugs! Ugh!
Keep us updated on how he is doing.
I will be thinking of you today.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure - may be tan bark or they are also thinking a sports bottle cap - the kind that has the extendable nipple....funny - he is not an eater of junk...and only 7.5 lbs so this is big object for his size...word to the wise - if I did not have insurance this would have cost me almost $1700 for his surgery today and appointments xrays meds etc yesterday...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Hi
So sorry to hear that he had to have surgery . I hope it all goes well .
Yes it sounds like you have great insurance . That must be so reassuring .
Keep us posted as to how he is doing .
I know how these little fellows love to pick up things . Sometimes i think Cosmo works for Hoover . I am constantly having to watch him ..
You both are in our thoughts and prayers .

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I'm sure he will be just fine. They just like to keep you on your toes ;)

I caught Shelby chewing on a rock yesterday. I had a lab/husky and when she was about 2yrs she ate one of my knee hi's. We didn't know it and at first I thought it was just an upset stomach. By day 2 she couldn't keep water down and then she started to shake and her body got cold. $800 later surgery because she culdn't pass it, and the vet couldn't pull it out. She was just fine after that and lived to be almost 18 yrs old.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your kind words.....he is scheduled for this afternoon...don't know who is worse here - my husband or me...Ollie has him so wrapped around my husbands fingers! Of course he is the one who said NO DOGS!!!

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about Ollie. I am sending you out good vibes so that all goes well for you and Ollie. Keep us posted, I am sure all will go well for you.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Hi,

So sorry to hear about Ollie.... :( Please keep us posted on his progress. I am sending good thoughts and cyber hugs to you, your hubby and little Ollie. I am so glad you have insurance for him. We've got all three of our dogs insured and it has come in handy many a time with Romeo (my cream standard), as he is way too active and was horribly accident prone as a young pup.

Best wishes,

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Poor Ollie, I hope all went well. I have seen where larger dogs eat rocks & have to have them removed, but not a small dog. My cat once ate 25 feet of nylong fishing line & had to have it removed, along with 8" of her intestines. It is just amazing what they will eat. She just kept eating & eating & eating till she got to the end of the spool. But she made it thru surgery fine & lived to tell the story! I am sure he will be fine! Keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Poor Ollie. OK now I really have to get my duppa in gear about health insurance. I will make the point of talking to the vet tomorrow to find out if she recommends any. UGH. They do seem to like to eat small things.

Hope Ollie feels better soon. Keep us posted.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Oh how horrible for Ollie and Family. I hope things go well. Keep in touch, Please. When I worked in a warehouse I could bring my German Shepherd pup with me. He ate an industrial box staple. It was pretty scary, but he was 25 lbs at 10 weeks, not like a little 7 lbs. baby. He came through surgery very well, and healed very quickly. My prayers are with Ollie and Ollie's Mom & Dad.

Take care

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
My prays and thoughts of wellness are for Ollie tonight, so sorry he is ill. Let us know how he is doing, so sorry your little one is sick tonight- but he is in good hands at the vets and they will get him well for you.

·
Cooper,Emma,Lily,Winston
2,018 Posts
My family is so sorry to hear what your family is going through! Poor Ollie! I'm glad that at least you were on top of things and had him at the vet right away.
All good and calming thoughts for you, your husband and of course Ollie. I'm sure he'll be back to his old self in no time. ;)
beverly

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Daer All:

THANK you SOOO much for all your support and encouragement. Ollie is home today - And if I don't feel like the bad mom...he got one of my foam earplugs and it lodged in his tummy and was starting a blockage. He is ok...but not my normal baby - he looks at me and seems to be saying - what have you done to me? - I thought you loved me.....

if he only knew how much...

he had a catheter on his leg - so one looks like the paw of a toy poodle which has been groomed for show and the other paw his normal fluff ball...anyone know how long that will take to even up?

Ollie is small for the breed - many dogs may have been able to pass the earplug but when he was in his bed the nite before just crying and wimpering (which broke my heart) I knew something was terribly wrong. Vet said he is a drama king - but one of the most lovable dogs they have ever had....he even offered to watch him today for free while we are at work cause the office just loved him - he must have been quite the flirt...

I just can't wait until he can "run like hell" again and do his ollie bounce...

Thanks again everyone....:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts