Havanese Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jolene has been doing SO well with house training (seems to be able to hold it for a couple of hours if needed, but will go more frequently but had her first accident in a while last night. We didn’t think much of it, other than that we had given her too much freedom (she’s been pretty consistent with going into her pen to use the tray when she’s out with us, but we also take her outside regularly. This morning, she seemed normal, ate a good breakfast, and threw up her breakfast and then the entire contents of her stomach a couple of hours later, much of which looked totally digested. She’s been super needy all day, and not wanted to be in her pen (she screamed her head off while I was doing an interview this afternoon, which was adorable- thankfully The candidate was a dog person who got it!) Her behavior has just been weird— one minute she has the zoomies like crazy, the next she’s putting herself down for a nap in her crate even if she has freedom in the living room. And then the screaming of course! (We call it screaming, it’s really just very shrill barks that are quite ear piercing!)

Then, tonight, the accidents really took a turn. Not 20 minutes after I took her out and she peed, she had a huge pee in the middle of the floor with us right there, without so much sniffing or looking at the doors. I calmly picked her up to take her out, and she actually kept peeing while I lifted her, which has never happened. 15 minutes later, we took her outside, and she peed on the ramp going down to the back yard. She’s now on full confinement in her x-pen…. I’m trying to decide if she’ll be able to sleep in the crate tonight or if I should leave her in the x pen so she has potty access.

Has anyone had experience with UTI symptoms like this? Or anything else we should ask the vet about that you’ve experienced? We happen to have a vet check up tomorrow when we go for her rabies vax, so of course will check with her. Do you think they’ll want a urine sample? If so, how do I get one from a tiny little girl dog whose bottom basically touches the ground when she pees?

·
Metrowest, MA
29,451 Posts
Jolene has been doing SO well with house training (seems to be able to hold it for a couple of hours if needed, but will go more frequently but had her first accident in a while last night. We didn’t think much of it, other than that we had given her too much freedom (she’s been pretty consistent with going into her pen to use the tray when she’s out with us, but we also take her outside regularly. This morning, she seemed normal, ate a good breakfast, and threw up her breakfast and then the entire contents of her stomach a couple of hours later, much of which looked totally digested. She’s been super needy all day, and not wanted to be in her pen (she screamed her head off while I was doing an interview this afternoon, which was adorable- thankfully The candidate was a dog person who got it!) Her behavior has just been weird— one minute she has the zoomies like crazy, the next she’s putting herself down for a nap in her crate even if she has freedom in the living room. And then the screaming of course! (We call it screaming, it’s really just very shrill barks that are quite ear piercing!)

Then, tonight, the accidents really took a turn. Not 20 minutes after I took her out and she peed, she had a huge pee in the middle of the floor with us right there, without so much sniffing or looking at the doors. I calmly picked her up to take her out, and she actually kept peeing while I lifted her, which has never happened. 15 minutes later, we took her outside, and she peed on the ramp going down to the back yard. She’s now on full confinement in her x-pen…. I’m trying to decide if she’ll be able to sleep in the crate tonight or if I should leave her in the x pen so she has potty access.

Has anyone had experience with UTI symptoms like this? Or anything else we should ask the vet about that you’ve experienced? We happen to have a vet check up tomorrow when we go for her rabies vax, so of course will check with her. Do you think they’ll want a urine sample? If so, how do I get one from a tiny little girl dog whose bottom basically touches the ground when she pees?
Well, she definitely sounds like SOMETHING is bothering her, but these are not typical UTI symptoms. With a UTI, they typically go around straining, over and over and over, producing only a tiny amount each time. Just as with humans, the UTI produces feelings of urgency. They also sometimes have blood in the urine if you can catch some.

But peeing large amounts unexpectedly would be unusual, because they just can’t hold it that long with a UTI.

·
Registered
637 Posts
My Bichon had long life o
f urinary crystals and they always wanted a fresh sample. It was easy to get probably because he was taller and a boy. The vet gave me a collection kit which had a long handle with a small flat cup and then a sterile bottle to pour it into. Maybe call and ask.
The vet can get a sample if you can't.
Good thing you are taking her right in. Please update. I'll be interested to know what happens.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So @krandall was right… they don’t think a UTI. She was back to normal today, so the vet suspects that it was more behavioral—- she didn’t feel good, and was being a bit babyish because of it and had accidents. Unclear why the quantity of urine, but since that’s the only time we’ve noticed it, she said for now to keep an eye on it— it’s possible that she was dehydrated from throwing up, so drank way too much water. Like I said, she seems 100% herself today, so we will be a little more careful with confinement to reinforce her back into her good potty habits, and keep an eye on water intake and output. She always keeps us on our toes!

Oh, and she weighed in at a whopping 5.46 lbs today! She’ll be 5 months on Saturday, and is almost exactly double the weight she was when we brought her home 11 weeks ago. Vet says he weight is fine, she’s just petite and lean. So now the bets: what do we think she’ll max out at?? I initially thought maybe 10, but now thinking more like 8….if so, I’ll have an XL Hav and an XS one!

·
Registered
195 Posts
So @krandall was right… they don’t think a UTI. She was back to normal today, so the vet suspects that it was more behavioral—- she didn’t feel good, and was being a bit babyish because of it and had accidents. Unclear why the quantity of urine, but since that’s the only time we’ve noticed it, she said for now to keep an eye on it— it’s possible that she was dehydrated from throwing up, so drank way too much water. Like I said, she seems 100% herself today, so we will be a little more careful with confinement to reinforce her back into her good potty habits, and keep an eye on water intake and output. She always keeps us on our toes!

Oh, and she weighed in at a whopping 5.46 lbs today! She’ll be 5 months on Saturday, and is almost exactly double the weight she was when we brought her home 11 weeks ago. Vet says he weight is fine, she’s just petite and lean. So now the bets: what do we think she’ll max out at?? I initially thought maybe 10, but now thinking more like 8….if so, I’ll have an XL Hav and an XS one!
Piper was about that weight at 16 weeks/4 months. She's 9.5-10lbs now. I think yesterday is the first day I saw her crack 10lbs on my scale lol. She's 10 months old, so idk how much more she has to go - probably mostly done though?? My prediction for Piper is she'll top off around 10.5ish. Maybe Jolene will be 9lb? Cute peanut size! =)

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I’m glad it’s passed! I wonder if there was something physical that made it uncomfortable for her to go that resolved itself. Sundance once had a piece of painter’s tape hidden in his coat and was acting strange about going potty. I think it was pulling the hair on the side of his belly and leg and he couldn’t position himself the way he wanted. Although you’d probably see something like that with her coat, it could have been similar, like something stuck between her toes and she couldn’t stand the way she wanted, that resolved on its own. Even if it went away quickly, I think something small like that can still trigger a behavioral response to potty training, especially at her age. I believe part of potty training is these experiences. They figure out how potty training works pretty quickly, because Havanese are so smart. Generalizing to different situations and as their bodies mature, or unusual circumstances or a change in schedule, takes time. I have a feeling she will bounce back right away to your quick response!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts