Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:(UPDATE
Last night when going to the store, I snuck out and the dogs didn't know I left. My hubby was home and said Vana came in and searched everywhere for me and then started shaking. I got home about hr later and she was acting very strange. I looked up shaking, trembling dog and found all sort of things. I put a call into the vet they open in 15 minutes. The only other time I have seen her like this is when the smoke alarm went of and she didn't calm down for about 2 hrs after. I will keep you posted! Please advise me if you know of anything!

I posted at the bottom of this but for those not following:
I have looked up the white dog shaker sydrome and this seems to fit but
"The treatment for white dog shaker syndrome is usually just corticosteroids. These steroids typically begin to reverse the tremors within a few days. Some of the dogs with this disease will require an extended treatment and may even retain some degree of the tremors for the rest of its life. Sometimes, in rare occasions, a dog with this disease will spontaneously recover." Vana seems to be recovering without the drugs at the same rate? I hate to mess with it just incase it is just a panic attack and seem will work through it naturally. Any thoughts?
The schnauzers are not as sensitive my Drake is a big baby but nothing like this, it helps to hear all the stories and it tends to make me believe she is in the bichon family!

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
is she normally upset when you leave.?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes Dave, but this wouldn't account for her still doing this today would it? vet is on the phone now

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
yes Dave, but this wouldn't account for her still doing this today would it? vet is on the phone now
yes it could. Don't sneak out on her anymore. She was probably frustrated because she didn't see you leave and she pannicked. Try a few short exits where she sees you leave.

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
Oh, God bless her. I hope she's all better today. Heaven knows what traumas she lived through before she came into your life. Wrapping her in calming, healing vibes. Give her an extra kiss for me.

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts
years ago , when Molly was smaller , I used to play hide and seek. One time I hid so well, she couldn't find me. (in the closet). Well I could hear her whining and panting every time she went past me, so I finally came out. Boy was she excited to see me. For that night and even into the next day she hung near me. I still feel guilty for this. :pound:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Vet is booked only open till 12 but said to give her some children's benadryl to calm her down. If she seems to stay the same or get worse to go to the emergency vet. She is calmly resting on the bed. Dave I have to say that the thought that me sneeking out caused this breaks my heart- I am in tears and Russ keeps saying not to blame myself. If it was a toxin wouldn't it have passed or done it's deal by now? And if it was pain wouldn't she yelp or whine? It is like going backwards from when we rescued her- she was very docile then and it took awhile to coax our Banana out but I miss my bouncy baby!:(

·
Dave T
10,876 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Jenny, I know how upsetting this must be for you. Abby used to have severe separation anxiety but is fine now. Although, when DH takes her out for a walk if she doesn't find me immediately upon coming in she gets a little panicky. Once she sees me then she is fine. So, I always make sure she knows I am leaving. I don't make a big deal out of it just say "Mama is leaving - see you later!"

I hope Vana will be fine after her benadryl wears off. Keep us posted.

·
Gigi
2,468 Posts
Oh hope little Vana is calming down,and feeling happier now.With our pups I have the same ritual each time I go out so they know what to expect.Dizzie is a very calm Hav and would be fine what ever I do, but Nellie is more clingy.and likes a routine.Hope you all have a happy Easter,and Vana is bouncing like a spring lamb again very soon.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Sorry to read about little Vana, hope she is her bouncy self soon. I always tell my dogs when I am leaving, they get a treat (I keep dog pillows tucked away on the floor through most of the house, when true friends come, I leave them out, formal company, they are picked up)settle on their kitchen pillows and I say "guard the house" then I close the door and set the alarm. I learned as a kid from my grandparents it is important to settle the animals before leaving, I still say what we always did even though my guys are small.

·
Linda
5,409 Posts
How is Vana doing?

Try to remain calm around Vana without showing anxiety and concern, it seems like these fur balls pick up all kinds of emotions from us.

Did you do anything different (foods, fleas/tick meds, heartworm meds, bathing...etc.,) in the last 24 hours besides leaving the house? Just thinking out loud for any possible causes...

Calming vibs coming your way for Vana!

·
Metrowest, MA
26,647 Posts
Sorry to hear about Vana. We all make mistakes with our dogs AND our kids. The important thing is to learn from them! The other thing is that it's entirely likely that Vana is showing more separation anxiety now, because she is settling in and starting to believe she really belongs. When something unusual happened, it's possible that it threw her for a loop. Lots of hugs, (with a really up-beat tone... don't sound like you feel sorry for her!) and lots of the kind of door practice that Dave suggested, and I bet she'll get over it pretty quickly. Over all, she seems like a very stable little dog, considering her past!

(BTW, I had a wonderful horse nick named "Anna Banana"!:))

·
Lumi
432 Posts
We've never snuck out on Ninja however, one time (during New Years) my brother pressed one of those LOUD horns that hurt even human ears. Ninja was so frightened that he shaked for 3 hrs. I am not over exaggerating. We could not get to a vet but the phase passed. I hope vana is better now and I hope it passed. She was probably just worried, don't feel bad at least you no for next time. Sending hugs :hug:

·
Gryff and Jinx Mommy
2,346 Posts
Gryff gets that way too. He shakes like crazy when he is even the littlest bit upset. Sometimes he shakes for no reason at all. Little White Dog Syndrome. I noticed that Vana is white too. Is this the first time she's had the shakes?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Ivyagogo, Funny you should say "Little white dog syndrome" that what the dermatologist's said about Misty and her allergy's.

I hope Vana is feeling better.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
oh, i feel your concern! we always have to let Django see DH or I leave the house otherwise he goes crazy running around the house looking for either one of us. he doesn't shake but he gets uneasy so, we always say good bye to the dog if either one of us leave while the other is still at home.

we had a situation with the 4th of July where django did not stop shaking for 2 hours. it was awful. i've heard 2 different schools of thought. one that it's okay to comfort them when they are in this state and one that says don't. i always keep him next to me and give him soft strokes while he's scared.

its funny how we have to change our habits for these little guys but they are worth it!

·
Julie
1,441 Posts
Poor Vanna! I hope she's doing better today. Considering her background, it makes sense that she was scared.

I had never heard of little white dog syndrome but I googled it and it sounds like a definite possibility.

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
I agree it may be an anxiety attack and I also agree with dogs with separation anxiety issues, it is better if they see you leave, and even better if they can watch for you (do you have a window where they can see you come in or drive up?)

Gucci seems to get some comfort (or distraction) by watching for me when I'm gone, she'll sit there til' I come home, even if there is a houseful of people here.

Kara

·
Pepper's mom
1,329 Posts
I agree it may be an anxiety attack and I also agree with dogs with separation anxiety issues, it is better if they see you leave, and even better if they can watch for you (do you have a window where they can see you come in or drive up?)

Gucci seems to get some comfort (or distraction) by watching for me when I'm gone, she'll sit there til' I come home, even if there is a houseful of people here.

Kara
I totally agree with Kara. We have Pepper's stroller parked by the big front window of our house. I found out that when DH and I both leave the house together, Pepper will jump into his stroller and watch out the window for us. If one of us stays home he's more relaxed, but when we're both gone he's a mild basket case, though not so bad that he gets the shakes.

Also, when we have to leave Pepper behind we always tell him where we're going and how long we expect to be out. Then I tell him to stay and behave. I honestly think this routine exit on our part helps.

I hope Vanna is feeling more relaxed and secure today!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts