Havanese Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Jackie, I would also love to see a current photo of Willow. Maybe someone could hold a treat for her to dig out of their hand while you get a photo from the side to show her coat?

Puppy owners, you can train your dogs to stay still for photos with a treat held right above your camera.
Thanks for the tip! She just might hold still if I'm showing a treat. Especially her "stinky fish" treat which she loves.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,880 Posts
Bugsy is gorgeous! Is he pure white? Who's that in the background?

Jackie, I would also love to see a current photo of Willow. Maybe someone could hold a treat for her to dig out of their hand while you get a photo from the side to show her coat?

Puppy owners, you can train your dogs to stay still for photos with a treat held right above your camera. The earlier you start, the longer you'll have photos of your dog looking at the camera! I wish I'd started even earlier with Shama!
I take photos with my iPad Pro. It is hard to hold a treat and take a picture with my iPad. I have to engage the help of DH so dependent upon his availability! But holding a treat is the way to go!

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
I once had a Cocker Spaniel for a short while and then re-homed the darling to someone who was a better fit. They are difficult to housebreak and extremely high energy. I grew up with one as a young child and loved Old Joe but when I got one as adult I didn't like the breed. That's me. It wasn't a good fit. My other dogs were a Poodle and Schnauzer, who are both high maintenance grooming dogs.

Havanese are toy dogs who are typically hard to housebreak. Lots of people never fully housebreak them and unless they are fully housebroken they aren't housebroken. If you will first indoor housebreak the dog to a potty tray, it will be quicker and later the dog will decide on it's own to go outside to pee and poop. They'll use the indoor potty tray during bad weather or if they cannot get outside. If you need to be gone for the day you don't have to worry about that issue.

I've always said, Patti housebroke herself because all I had to do was encourage her to do what she was doing naturally -- peeing and pooping on the potty tray. Now she mostly goes outside unless the weather is extremely bad. Even during the Cold Blast that brought Snow and Sleet in the Southern states that shut down Texas, Patti was determined to go outside and only occasionally used the potty tray when it was actively storming.

Yes!! they hair is high maintenance. But - If you keep the hair short it's a whole lot less maintenance but there are grooming costs, unless you do it yourself. If you do it yourself that takes Time and it needs to be done frequently. In my area I'm paying $40 every other week for a bath and $60 to groom. I would prefer having her bathed once a week but due to cost I do it every other week and have her Groomed (hair trimmed) every six to eight weeks.

Grooming is expensive because they need to be bathed frequently. They have human hair and it requires frequent maintenance.

Personality wise they are the most adorable, lovable, funny and smart dogs around. Plus they're beautiful.:grin2:

BTW ... If you have not had a puppy for a long while expect to be an Exhausted Puppy Mom for about 10-months. During the teething and biting stage you'll probably be thinking...WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING!!!???

Puppies are like two and three year toddlers. They're so darn Cute when they're ASLEEP - it's the reason we don't kill them.:Cry:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts