Havanese Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All: I was just thinking that we have been watching and reading about our kids growing up together. The older ones, the toddlers and now all the new babies on the site. I am amazed when I see the new pictures- because they grow up so fast. Thanks all for sharing your stories and pictures, but as some one else on the site coined the phrase- it does lead to MHS (multiple hav syndrome) haha.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
It's so true. Shelby's breeder just sent me some pics she found of the litter she came from and I can't believe how big she has gotten in such a short time.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I just thought I'd share with you all that the havanese trait of shredding has peeked its head in Oreo. I thought for the longest time that he wouldn't shred paper because he never attempted it. Well, yesterday evening after coming home from my local bookstore, I was reading on my couch, and Oreo kept on trying to grab the pages as I flipped through. My receipt had accidentally made its way to the couch and I noticed Oreo was so intent and distracted by something. I took a peek, only to find my receipt broken up into to wet shreds, pieces and spit balls. I told my husband that any paper in this house, or ANYWHERE, is no longer safe around Oreo ;) LOL

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Uh oh! Oreo has tasted paper! Your home will never be the same. LOL!

My husband makes a game of it with Hillary. When we get the mail, he will sit on the sofa and pretend he is reading the junk mail and she takes it from him to shred. It's their own little game together.

This morning, I had an important document that had a business seal and was done in triplicate form. It slipped off my dresser and Tinky ran to it. I yelled out "Leave it" and she just stopped and looked at me like "I'm a good girl. Now can I have it?"

Leave it is an important command to teach your dogs if you want to save the papers of your home. :D

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
Oh yes, "Leave it" he does. I have been a big meany and tested him with my plate of cheese and fruit in front of his face and he will leave it. I of course give him some of my cheese because he is such a good boy ;)

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
That's a good test! I knew my dogs were learning when I could put a pile of their favorite treats on the floor in front of them and tell them to leave it and they would.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Oh gosh! Guess I should be working on that command a little more, huh? :eek:

·
Gucci's mom
9,378 Posts
Oh yes, Gucci is a shredder too! FORTUNATELY, she is being respectful towards my sewing patterns! She KNOWS NOT to touch these and will back off when I tell her to "leave it", but I usually give her a paper towel or something else to shred. Otherwise, she will sit there while I'm cutting my patterns and DROOL over the paper! LOL

Hilarious.

Kara

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
That is too cute Kara. But what I find with Oreo is right now he tries to eat the paper!! So I try to avoid letting him have paper because I know how sensitive his tummy is :(

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"the boys" love paper too. My favorite thing to do is wrap a treat in a papertowel and then tie it with a bow. (we learned this at christmas) they go wild. I suppose this is encouraging them-- but they are so cute. on the otherhand I have a basket in our living room filled with magazines and both of them have been tought not to steal from there. anything that falls in their path is fair game though --- we're teaching leave it!

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Beverly, great avatar of Tinky! Thanks for the link. :)

Would you mind starting a new thread in the "training" forum with this link? I'll bet lots of members would like to check it out. Just an idea....... thanks! :)

I see there are other great tools at that site.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts