Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mando sometimes flips his water bowl in excitement by jumping on it or flipping the silicone mat by chewing on the edge. Any recommendations for a fix? I read some old posts but a lot of the product links no longer work. I’ve been looking at the following products and would appreciate any recommendations.

I can’t get enough of this mischievous face so here are some gratuitous puppy pics. 😊

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mando is so gorgeous! He even looks like he is happy and smiling while he is sleeping 😴😍

We use traditional heavy ceramic water bowls for the very reason that they can’t be easily tipped over.

You have just reminded me of when we had our shih tzu as a tiny puppy and she “disappeared.” So whenever we went out we would leave her locked ‘safely‘ in a small utility room with her bed, toys and stainless steel water bowl. One time we returned home to find the room exactly as we left it accept for a small puddle of water around the water bowl and no puppy! I think we were scared and confused in equal measure, how can a dog just disappear from a locked room??? We then heard her crying but still couldn’t work out where she was. Turns out she was in an (empty) bucket that was stood next to her drinking bowl. Am guessing she had stood on the tip of the bowl with her front feet over the bucket peering in, tipped the bowl with her weight and fallen in the bucket unable to climb back out, poor little pup😞 The bucket was always put safely back in the cupboard after that!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Mando sometimes flips his water bowl in excitement by jumping on it or flipping the silicone mat by chewing on the edge. Any recommendations for a fix? I read some old posts but a lot of the product links no longer work. I’ve been looking at the following products and would appreciate any recommendations.

I can’t get enough of this mischievous face so here are some gratuitous puppy pics. 😊
If you want to go with a bottle I like this one - it has consistently worked - some others I've tried seem to get the ball stuck and it seems too hard for Perry (even as an adult) to push it "open"... with this one he's never had that problem plus I love that you can fill it from the top and don't have to remove the bottle every time you fill it. Only potential negative is that you have to hook it on something - it doesn't come with it's own pole. I hook it on his crate and keep his crate door open so he can access it. Perry was drinking too fast and throwing up often after drinking when we used a bowl so we switched to the bottle.

I taught Perry to use it by smearing peanut butter on the nozzle - he licked and got peanut butter AND water. Didn't take him that long to figure out that's how he could get water even without the peanut butter. It did take repeatedly putting peanut butter on it, but he figured it out.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
Well, you know what I think of him! LOL!

I use these bottles: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LNVD8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

And these are the water bowls I've been liking lately. The inner piece floats on top of the water, so only a little water comes through at a time, keeping beards dry... something my hardwood floors appreciate!: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4PJNZF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Water does eventually seep into the floating piece, but you can pry it apart, empty and clean it and put it back together easy enough. I disassemble and clean the whole thing pretty regularly anyway, so we have several.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You have just reminded me of when we had our shih tzu as a tiny puppy and she “disappeared.” So whenever we went out we would leave her locked ‘safely‘ in a small utility room with her bed, toys and stainless steal water bowl. One time we returned home to find the room exactly as we left it accept for a small puddle of water around the water bowl and no puppy! I think we were scared and confused in equal measure, how can a dog just disappear from a locked room??? We then heard her crying but still couldn’t work out where she was. Turns out she was in an (empty) bucket that was stood next to her drinking bowl. Am guessing she had stood on the tip of the bowl with her front feet over the bucket peering in, tipped the bowl with her weight and fallen in the bucket unable to climb back out, poor little pup😞 The bucket was always put safely back in the cupboard after that!
Poor baby. I could totally see Mando getting into the same type of mischief.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
I’m looking for food/water bowl ideas too. We’ve been using ceramic ramekins which are working fine, but my husband is not keen on sharing dishes with the dog. Also, thanks for the puppy pics- Mando is adorable!

·
Marion
48 Posts
We have the bowl Karen mentioned, with the floating top. It works well, and the dogs (1 hav, 1 lab mix and 1 aussie mix) all figured it out quickly. Much less dripping than you get from regular open water bowls, although we do have it on an LL Bean mat. From the way it is angled out, it would be hard to tip over. I think it would be hard for a puppy to chew as well - the design doesn't really lend itself to chewing. I love that we can see how much water is left, by how far down the floating part is.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
Poor baby. I could totally see Mando getting into the same type of mischief.
Oh my goodness! What a story! At least she cried to let you know she was there! Each time one of ours has “gone missing” (inadvertently locked in a closet somewhere in the house) they have been completely silent while they waited for us to find them. I can just imagine them sitting their wagging their tails thinking, “I’m being such a GOOD DOG waiting for them to come get me!” 🤣 🤣 🤣

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
my husband is not keen on sharing dishes with the dog.
That’s too funny! Does he think your dishwasher doesn’t get the dishes clean? LOL!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
We have the bowl Karen mentioned, with the floating top. It works well, and the dogs (1 hav, 1 lab mix and 1 aussie mix) all figured it out quickly. Much less dripping than you get from regular open water bowls, although we do have it on an LL Bean mat. From the way it is angled out, it would be hard to tip over. I think it would be hard for a puppy to chew as well - the design doesn't really lend itself to chewing. I love that we can see how much water is left, by how far down the floating part is.
The water doesn’t last long when my son’s Treewalker is visiting though! HE needs it filled TWICE for one drink! LOL!

Reactions: MMoore

·
Arf! Arf!
3,025 Posts
Ricky has his own stainless steel food bowl and ceramic water bowl. Both his food bowl and water bowl are wshed and sterilized on a daily basis (food bowl after every meal).

Personally, I don't like water bottles. I forget to change the water frequently. It is important that the water be changed with fresh water on AT LEAST on a daily basis to avoid bacteria and fungi build up in the water. We give RICKY only filtere water to drink from a Britta filter. We keep his beard cut short (because that's the way we like it) but his fur will ocassionally get wet under his mouth. We have never considered it a problem.

Reactions: krandall

·
Registered
68 Posts
Piper has this uh, "cool", habit of pawing at the water out of her stainless steel bowl to make it splash to the ground then drinking it off the ground. Would a water bottle help eliminate this "trick?"

·
Marion
48 Posts
Piper has this uh, "cool", habit of pawing at the water out of her stainless steel bowl to make it splash to the ground then drinking it off the ground. Would a water bottle help eliminate this "trick?"
The floating top water bowl Karen gave the link for might deter Piper from splashing. I just tried it with ours - the bowl won't tip, and there's really not enough water to splash out of the bowl (more comes up as the dog drinks and the floating piece goes down, but there's never a lot of water at the top.) The water is only at the center as well; it doesn't go out to the edge of the bowl, so harder for water to splash out. Not sure I'm explaining it well, but it's a great bowl!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The floating top water bowl Karen gave the link for might deter Piper from splashing. I just tried it with ours - the bowl won't tip, and there's really not enough water to splash out of the bowl (more comes up as the dog drinks and the floating piece goes down, but there's never a lot of water at the top.) The water is only at the center as well; it doesn't go out to the edge of the bowl, so harder for water to splash out. Not sure I'm explaining it well, but it's a great bowl!
Thank you! Sounds like it could help deter her new habit lol. I'll have to buy it and try it out!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
Ricky has his own stainless steel food bowl and ceramic water bowl. Both his food bowl and water bowl are wshed and sterilized on a daily basis (food bowl after every meal).

Personally, I don't like water bottles. I forget to change the water frequently. It is important that the water be changed with fresh water on AT LEAST on a daily basis to avoid bacteria and fungi build up in the water. We give RICKY only filtere water to drink from a Britta filter. We keep his beard cut short (because that's the way we like it) but his fur will ocassionally get wet under his mouth. We have never considered it a problem.
For short facial hair that might be the case, but even for our two with puppy cuts, they can soak up a LOTTA WATTA from a normal bowl. Times three... thats a pretty swampy floor. And even a water bottle needs to be refilled daily with my crew, so everything gets cleaned regularly. Not a problem for me. Bleach and a bottle brush work great! Newer bottles from better companies are BPA free.

Reactions: Mando's Mommy

·
Premium Member
4,461 Posts
And these are the water bowls I've been liking lately. The inner piece floats on top of the water, so only a little water comes through at a time, keeping beards dry... something my hardwood floors appreciate!: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4PJNZF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Water does eventually seep into the floating piece, but you can pry it apart, empty and clean it and put it back together easy enough. I disassemble and clean the whole thing pretty regularly anyway, so we have several.
When Truffles drinks her long beard gets wet and drips water on the floor. Because the kitchen has hardwood floors I was always on alert if I heard her heading toward kitchen. Several years ago I bought a bowl that has the floating piece on top which solved the problem. It's great if you have hardwood floors! Some may find it unacceptable because it is plastic. We have a ceramic bowl upstairs where there is carpeting.

·
Premium Member
3,393 Posts
He flipped the water bowl out on the screened porch, all the time, too. I forgot to tell you about that. I think he did it once, by accident, in the process of falling off the door sill, right above the water bowl. They like to work on their balance on that. I guess he thought it was fun.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He flipped the water bowl out on the screened porch, all the time, too. I forgot to tell you about that. I think he did it once, by accident, in the process of falling off the door sill, right above the water bowl. They like to work on their balance on that. I guess he thought it was fun.
Mando definitely thinks it’s a hoot to flip the water bowl, have it splash all over the place then run through it. He also realizes that it means one of us will come over and clean it up. 😂

·
Metrowest, MA
27,249 Posts
Mando definitely thinks it’s a hoot to flip the water bowl, have it splash all over the place then run through it. He also realizes that it means one of us will come over and clean it up. 😂
Oh, THAT sounds like a fun game! LOL!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts