Havanese Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we can not edit our website now, with the HTML based software no longer being supported, I just started a Facebook group named Starborn Havanese.

We have not used Facebook before, but it looked like the simplest way to get pictures up for public viewing.

Conversion of our old website, which has Many pages, from HTML to some new version has turned into something way too complicated for us to do.

I'm not sure how Facebook will work out, but we're giving it a try.

The old Sitebuilder website software we used was very simple, drag and drop, and we could easily update, and publish it. With that no longer supported, anything else looks like we would have to start from scratch.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Metrowest, MA
Since we can not edit our website now, with the HTML based software no longer being supported, I just started a Facebook group named Starborn Havanese.

We have not used Facebook before, but it looked like the simplest way to get pictures up for public viewing.

Conversion of our old website, which has Many pages, from HTML to some new version has turned into something way too complicated for us to do.

I'm not sure how Facebook will work out, but we're giving it a try.

The old Sitebuilder website software we used was very simple, drag and drop, and we could easily update, and publish it. With that no longer supported, anything else looks like we would have to start from scratch.

As I mentioned, Squarespace is AWESOME! (and easy, and drag and drop) If you'd like some help getting started with it, I'd be HAPPY to help you!!! 馃挆 I've built a number of websites with it now.

Not that FB is a bad option for current photos of litters, it's not. But it's not good for storing long-term info either.

Reactions: Melissa Brill

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The trouble with converting our current website is that everything is in HTML. If we had to find all the pictures from their individual files on our computer, they would have to come from multiple older hard drives, and Many different pictures folders. I tried several different conversion services to convert HTML files to JPG, but they won't do the webpages as a whole, and there is quality loss at every conversion. We have pictures that cover 24 years now.

I'm not sure, but think HTML was some sort of compression, so it would all work with smaller hard drives, and slower computers.

So, even with drag, and drop, everything has to be converted back from HTML for what website software I've tried so far.

Any of the various website builders I've tried work as easily as Sitebuilder, that we have used for 20 years, but the whole problem is the conversion of file types.

Arf! Arf! Super Moderator
Tom, I have moved this thread to the "Site Help and Questions" forum where it will be seen by the Havanese Forum owner. I know that it isn't always apparent, but as a moderator "insider", there are constant changes being made to the site to improve performance and user experience. I have been given some pretty powerful tools as a "super moderator" (notice that in most cases spam has been eliminated from the site, but I can assure you that site protocols are catching and killing most of the spam posts that occur three or four times a day) but one thing I can't do is change programming, only the list owner can do that. And no, I get no compensation, perks, or gratuities for volunteering as a moderator.

You are a valued member of the Forum and I ask you to bear with us while continued improvements are made to the site. All suggestions and criticisms are welcome on this sub-forum. Working together, we can make this site even better. Thanks.

[EDIT] I don't know if this helps but what I do with pictures and graphics is copy and paste them to Microsoft Paint and then save them as a JPEG file. No loss of quality and I am able to copy entire pages by using the "shrink" option. Realize that trying to copy too much information uses too much bandwidth and there has to be a limit on what this site will accept and permit.

Metrowest, MA
But I don't think Tom's question had anything to do with THIS forum...

Premium Member
What about doing some kind of hybrid approach? For instance, the basic 鈥淎bout us鈥 pages, start from scratch in the new format, since it would probably be much easier and faster than last time around. No formatting to worry about for many, just copy and paste your text. But maybe there鈥檚 a way to export all of the pictures of the litters, which would be the most time consuming, as a full page, sort of like a scrapbook page? I don鈥檛 know the technical words to describe what I鈥檓 saying, and maybe this is already what you鈥檙e describing and you don鈥檛 like the degradation, but I think html web pages can be exported as a photo, sort of like a better quality screenshot. Then you could convert each page of litters and post them as photos to create an 鈥渁rchive.鈥 I realize you鈥檇 get some quality loss, but how much is this your own personal archive and how much is it for other people? I love, love that you post your current litters online, but even families buying your puppies don鈥檛 NEED high resolution photos to enjoy them. You could then use the new software moving forward, and everything would be in one place.

If your website is also for your own personal preservation and organization of your litters, I think I鈥檇 allot most of the time you have for this project on organizing your own photos with one storage system. New systems would allow you to easily export entire galleries directly from whatever unified storage you decide to use. The work would really be the organization of the photos, and my guess if you have 25 years of hard drives and past litter photos in various places, you would really enjoy and benefit from an updated photo storage system, not just for your puppies but for your family photos. Once they鈥檙e organized, moving them to a website would take minutes. DH specializes in storage and something else that sounds more impressive, but I forget the word (I do that a lot). I sent him a link to this thread and maybe he鈥檒l have more technical suggestions!

EvaE1izabeth's errand boy
If recovering the photos and text copy themselves is the primary focus, that should be fairly easy, i could help you 鈥渟crape鈥 the photos you need, the html itself is not a photo format, but a design language, with links to actually pictures being embedded in that html code. One that is done, then it becomes just a matter of finding a new host platform and copy pasting the content in the new provider. There are automated tools for scraping content from website I can show you.
For example, the url for one of the photos on your front page is http://starbornhavanese.com/sitebuilder/images/twinkle2-457x482.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've found a company that says they will convert our website to Wordpress for $380. That seems very reasonable, but they are on the other side of the World, and I'd rather speak to someone who has English as their first language. I know absolutely nothing about the different, current website programs.

I tried simply copying, and pasting off our website, but didn't/don't know anything about "scraping".

We can find all the old folders, of past litters, retired dogs, and such, but we really probably should simplify our website anyway, and don't really have any need for personal organization of photos, at least, not any different than we have for our own personal use.

I started the Starborn Havanese Facebook group, but don't even know if I did that correctly, or how we let people on our list know about that, other than individually.

The main thing we need is to show people on our list updates of puppy pictures, without having to send it to each individual.

Premium Member
I misunderstood, I thought part of the problem was the hassle of finding the old photos. If you are comfortable using something like Wordpress once it鈥檚 all transferred, maybe find someone local to you to do it. A lot of college students and tech people do this kind of contract work. I don鈥檛 really use Facebook so I can鈥檛 offer advice on your group but I know it integrates easily with websites and a lot of photographers use both. I don鈥檛 know a way to avoid sending links to people other than adjusting the privacy settings, if your puppy families all have Facebook, or making it public. I think it鈥檚 a good option for what you want, though.

Premium Member
I think I made the Facebook group public. Does that mean you don't have to be a member of Facebook to view it?

I did set some setting so we get to review any comments before they're made public.
I think you may need a Facebook account to view all the content of someones page.

Starr
A public Facebook group means that anyone can see posts and coments in the group. I highly recommend you do a couple of things:

Set up the group so that you must approve everyone who requests to join instead of automatically allowing them to join. You can set up questions asking why they might want to join, for instance. You will soon find scammers and spammers posting links to their fraudulent pages which you will then need to remove and ban from your group.

Be sure to watermark your photos that you post in the group because there are people stealing photos from reputable breeders on Facebook and Instagram and reusing them to scam other uneducated buyers.

[Many of the scammers appear to be located in Cameroon or Nigeria but not all of them. Most also appear to have very new Facebook profiles.]

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for that. How do you watermark a photo? I already did set it up to have to approve posters, but allowed one in that I thought was someone else, who is already asking about puppy availability.

We decided to go ahead with the foreign outfit to covert our old website. We have the complete old one saved several ways that no one can get to, as well. They say a 12 to 15 day turnaround, and only wanted half the money up front, so even if it's a scam, it won't be so bad.

We really aren't too thrilled about having to use Facebook.

Starr

Metrowest, MA
That said, it's easy to remove watermarks too... I just don't bother, and I have a lot of paid professional photos out on the web. I just send cease and desist orders when I find one being used inappropriately. It's about all you can do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts